Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should `Pot be legalize & Taxed ?
Yes, 4-Sure : )
83.58%
No, : (
28.36%
For Medical Reasons Only
35.82%
I've Smoke `it ~> Past Tense
49.25%
I still Smoke `it -Present- Now
38.81%
I've Never Smoked `it
17.91%
I want 2 Smoke `it
16.42%
I think our Country is going 2 `Pot : )
41.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Pot ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Wish `You, yes U a Happy Day 4-Sure : )

Originally Posted by wht02monte
then out with your pee pee.
LOL ~ LOL : )~*
...Thanks Dr `Mike
Below are just a few links on the subject that should answer many questions on this thread subject.

Thanks to all member's that contributed to this thread topic and voted in the poll. It does reflect the thougths and opinions of our membership...Below is some great weekend reading `if you are interested in this subject...
?????

Marijuana: Pros and cons >> Medical Questions, Weight Loss ...

People have used marijuana as a medical treatment for thousands of years. Marijuana has been hailed as a prescription for many ills and physicians once used ...
www.steadyhealth.com › Articles archiveGeneral - Cached - Similar

BalancedPolitics.org - Legalization of Marijuana (Pros & Cons ...

Apr 20, 2010 ... Free fair and balanced discussion of controversial social and policital issues (pros and cons)
www.balancedpolitics.org/marijuana_legalization.htm - Cached - Similar

About Legalizing Marijuana: Pros & Cons | eHow.com

About Legalizing Marijuana: Pros & Cons. For decades, the legal status of marijuana has been highly controversial. The Drug War rages on, and although pot ...
www.ehow.com › Culture & SocietyPoliticsVoting - Cached - Similar

Medical Marijuana ProCon.org

Features hundreds of credible pros and cons including scientific marijuana research and expert opinions on medical cannabis.
medicalmarijuana.procon.org/ - Cached - Similar

Top 10 Pros and Cons - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

May 6, 2009 ... Top 10 Pros and Cons. Should marijuana be a medical option? ... The identification of side effects from smoked marijuana, coupled with the ...
medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID... - Cached

Pros and cons of Legalizing Marijuana

Should Marijuana be legalized in US? This question is usually received with mixed reactions from people. For some, it has more pros than cons whereas for ...
www.buzzle.com/.../pros-and-cons-of-legalizing-marijuana.html - Cached - Similar

Neti Pot, Nasal Irrigation Pros and Cons

WebMD discusses the pros and cons of using a Neti pot or other form of nasal irrigation and how nasal irrigation works.
www.webmd.com/.../neti-pot-nasal-irrigation-pros-and-cons - Cached - Similar

Effects Of Marijuana - Pros And Cons Of Marijuana

Marijuana has been found to have positive as well as negative effects on the people consuming it. Let us explore complete information on the effects of ...
lifestyle.iloveindia.com/.../effects-of-marijuana-4653.html - Cached - Similar

Strategizing Legalization's Pros and Cons - NYTimes.com

Apr 23, 2010 ... Strategizing Legalization's Pros and Cons. By JESSE McKINLEY ... Don't Call It 'Pot' in This Circle; It's a Profession (April 24, 2010) ...
www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/24potside.html - Add to iGoogle

The Pros and Cons of Marijuana Legalization, Part 1 - Cannabis ...

1 post - 1 author - Last post: May 29, 2009
Posted by Serena on May 28, 2009 The following article represents the views of the author and is not representative of Queercents, the site ...
boards.cannabis.com › ... › Current Events - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 07-10-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM

I dont smoke pot, but i belive it should be legalized and taxed out. The national debt will be solved in around 2 years.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

POT HEADS! CHILL! LOOK WHAT WONDERS IT'S DONE IN CALIFORNIA...NO LONG TERM DAMAGE..UH.! "TOMMY CHONG" SNOOP DOG!...I DO LIKE THE IDEA OF TAXING THE CRAP OUT OF IT BUT HEAVY FINES AND SEIZURE OF PROPERTY AND FUNDS ALSO WORKS..LEGALIZE IT'S USE ?.i WOULDN'T CARE TO WORK WITH YOU

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 07-12-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:07 PM

You're kinda sending mixed messages up there. What exactly are you saying? And there's really no reason for anyone to chill, I think everyone is staying calm. Anybody worked up here??

Old 07-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Anybody worked up here??
I could go for some Nachos.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just picked up some scoopful chips and I'm gonna have some nachos sometime tonight

Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by gothkid
I dont smoke pot, but i belive it should be legalized and taxed out. The national debt will be solved in around 2 years.
Any proof to back this up?

Current national debt from what I could find is $13,176,354,000,000 (just rounded it off).

I found some estimates of the amount of pot available in the US per year here:

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr4/5Supply.html

Using its two estimates derived for foreign- and domestically produced marijuana . . . ONDCP estimated the street availability of marijuana in 2001 to be between 10,000 and 24,000 pure metric tons.
I've seen numbers higher, and numbers lower- but lets just go with the 24,000 metric ton a year number.

Then I looked for the price of pot right now:

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr4/6Fiscal.html

Based on a retail price of $7.87 a gram, a pound of marijuana is worth $3,570 and the commodity is worth $7,871,480 per metric ton.
So 24,000 x $7,871,480 = $188,915,520,000 a year spent on pot by consumers.

Then add to that the cost of the burden on our court system:

In 2004 total US expenses on the criminal justice system (police protection, the judiciary, and corrections) totaled $193.5 billion
So we've got people spending $188.9B on pot each year, and a potential savings to the government of $193.5B each year works out to $382.4B

That's assuming 100% tax where every cent spent on pot goes straight to the government, which is obviously completely unrealistic. Or that would at least assume that the legalized price would work out to a tax rate giving the government an equal amount of money to what people currently spend (I'd assume people would be willing to pay more if its legalized).

So we've got a $13,176B debt, and this would give us $382.4B each year (and that's assuming a ridiculous tax rate)- that still makes for 34 years to pay off the national debt.

The other thing you have to consider is that if it does get legalized, more people will start growing their own, and if the legal price is set too high due to crazy taxes, there may still be an underground supply of it as well- both of which would cut into the profits. Also, we're not even getting into the costs of the government processes to control it and regulate it. I'm not saying legalizing it and taxing it wouldn't help a little, but I think its far from a 'magic bullet' to solve all our financial issues- we have too many other problems in our current spending policies that need to be fixed before we can get out of debt.

Honestly- my biggest problem with people saying that legalizing pot and taxing it will solve our financial problems- is that those people are making our financial problem worse in the first place. My reasons for that are:

A) Since you're buying something illegally, the government is losing tax money that they would've received if you would have bought a similar legal good (alcohol, tobacco, etc)

B) Instead of Americans spending that ~$200B a year on legal products made here in the states to keep people in jobs, they're giving that money to drug lords in other countries. Sure the local dealers here in the states are spending some of their money on US products, but a lot of the profits are still going out of the country along with the jobs they create.

But after I found out how much my ex boyfriend made from selling drugs I thought about selling them, but then I thought, I already have enough problems with the unbelievably stupidity of the American people so why contribute with the process of them killing their precious brain cells lol
The bad thing with selling drugs is it is very dangerous. You can quickly get into a lot of money, and you've also got to worry about taking sales away from other local dealers. Not to mention, all the people you're dealing with up the supply chain aren't necessarily going to be upstanding people either (obviously since their career choice is based around doing illegal things)- and you never know what you can get into.

I know two people who are very close to me, one is in jail for ~15 years after being caught selling numerous times (not just pot either), the other was just caught his first time with quantities packaged for sale (including pot, X, various pain pills, etc)- and his life is ruined, his wife left him, he lost both of his jobs, and his wife took the house. Sure he's out on bail, but he's obviously going to still be serving a good bit of jail time regardless.

I also used to work at a sound shop where some local dealers would come to get their audio stuff done- one of the guys was killed because he was taking over too many sales from a local gang (he was not gang affiliated); another guy got shot twice when his supplier tried to rob him (he was only doing small time deals, and must've had a lot of cash or jewelery on him at the time)- and I only worked there a year or so.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-11-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

users will always find a way to justify the illegal activity they engage in then follow it with no health issues or imparment when both are fact...there are deaths involved with the use of drugs directly thru accidents..purchase or selling , smuggling . are we saying no harm has come to anyone, no violations of personal or human / physical rights by the cartels that cash gets fed to...there's plenty of people directly harmed (ranchers on the border) to feed even the most casual or the recreational dope heads "non"habit...I suppose tho after a couple puffs how it came to be in your possesion isn't important...we wouldn't want to violate the users rights

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Well put Bumpin'. I knew there was a good reason that pot shouldn't be legalized.