Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Police scanner's

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Late to this thread and see most stuff has been brought up like narrowbanding & trunking. Throw in that the salesperps at Radio Shack should know what works in the town they sell in.

That said, I'm another radio enthusiast. There's a classic Pro2006 by the bed, a Pro2004 in the workshed, a GRE PSR800 on the desk (coolest feature - it records the calls, just the calls and not the dead air so I can lissen a whole day's worth in about 20 minutes to see if the kids got stopped), and there's an Icom 208H VHF/UHF ham radio in the Monte that also tunes (but not transmits) the cops.

In CA the Chippies use a repeater system that relays from the cruiser to the cop's handhelds. It works good as an early warning system, if that channel starts breaking squelch a CHP is near.

Other radio stuff is a Kenwood R5000 receiver and a Sangean 909Xfor shortwave, and a Yeasu VX7R handheld wideband, and some classic old CBs.

Ham call is k6ayb. CB call was knf5597.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

wow.... I just clicked on something on my computer and now I'm listening to the city of Pittsburgh police/fire scanner.................pretty crazy....

this is what I'm listening to right now.......

Originally Posted by Jesusfrk01MC
I have an app on my phone, and i can pick up my local Fire, Ems, Police, Airport and also all of the above for any state and county that they list in america. its call Tunein radio on the android market

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 04-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I missed this whole thread too. I see most of the questions have been answered already. I have been a scanner Listener since the 80's. I had a 4 channel crystal scanner back then. I have a uniden 246T right now but will be upgrading soon. My area is going digital so I have no choice. I miss the good old days when everything went out over the air. Nowadays they use there Mobile Data Terminals and cell phones a lot more than OTA.
Radio Reference is a good web site with a lot of info. here is a fun thread to read, funny stuff you have heard - The RadioReference.com Forums

Scanners were made legal to carry in a vehicle in Mi a few years back but If you use it to commit a crime you can get additional felony charges.

I like the phone scanner app but they have a 5 minute delay.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 AM

I have myself a few scanners that I use to listen to both Police in the area, but also Fire/EMS. I have an old Realistic(Radioshack's old brand) Pro-35, a Uniden SC230, and my newest one, a GRE PSR-700. My dad has a bunch also, a Radioshack Pro-95, a Pro-107, and a Pro-82(?). I have the GRE mounted in the Monte, but NY is one of those states that prohibits use of a scanner in a vehicle so I'm hoping that if I ever do get stopped, I can say I use it for Fire/EMS purposes only, considering I am a member of that lol.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Late to this thread and see most stuff has been brought up like narrowbanding & trunking. Throw in that the salesperps at Radio Shack should know what works in the town they sell in.

That said, I'm another radio enthusiast. There's a classic Pro2006 by the bed, a Pro2004 in the workshed, a GRE PSR800 on the desk (coolest feature - it records the calls, just the calls and not the dead air so I can lissen a whole day's worth in about 20 minutes to see if the kids got stopped), and there's an Icom 208H VHF/UHF ham radio in the Monte that also tunes (but not transmits) the cops.

In CA the Chippies use a repeater system that relays from the cruiser to the cop's handhelds. It works good as an early warning system, if that channel starts breaking squelch a CHP is near.

Other radio stuff is a Kenwood R5000 receiver and a Sangean 909Xfor shortwave, and a Yeasu VX7R handheld wideband, and some classic old CBs.

Ham call is k6ayb. CB call was knf5597.
That's a nice variety of scanners and radios you have. I use an old Realistic Pro 2020 to scan the local 2m repeaters with and a Pro 2096 I use for monitoring the City/County police, fire, etc. Sitting beside them is an Icom 756 Pro II for HF and an IC 2820H for VHF/UHF duties. I also have an Icom IC 7000 that I pulled out of my Blazer prior to selling it, but it's just sitting in the box right now. I still have a couple old CB from yesterday too...a Cobra 2000 GTL and a CPI CP2000 with the original mic, BC 2000 freq counter, WM 1000 watt meter and the Range Plus preamp.

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
wow.... I just clicked on something on my computer and now I'm listening to the city of Pittsburgh police/fire scanner.................pretty crazy....

this is what I'm listening to right now.......
When I'm on the computer I sometimes listen to the scanner also. Radio reference has a great link for that:

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I missed this whole thread too. I see most of the questions have been answered already. I have been a scanner Listener since the 80's. I had a 4 channel crystal scanner back then. I have a uniden 246T right now but will be upgrading soon. My area is going digital so I have no choice. I miss the good old days when everything went out over the air. Nowadays they use there Mobile Data Terminals and cell phones a lot more than OTA.
Radio Reference is a good web site with a lot of info. here is a fun thread to read, funny stuff you have heard - The RadioReference.com Forums

Scanners were made legal to carry in a vehicle in Mi a few years back but If you use it to commit a crime you can get additional felony charges.

I like the phone scanner app but they have a 5 minute delay.
I had to make the digital transition a few years ago when the City switched over. It's been quite a few years, but I tapped the discriminator of a scanner and built a patch cable from a 1/8" phono plug and RS232 plug that I used (with software) to display the info that was going to the MDTs, pagers, etc. Like I said, it's been a few years so I don't know if it's still possible to do now or not.

Originally Posted by nyislanders
I have myself a few scanners that I use to listen to both Police in the area, but also Fire/EMS. I have an old Realistic(Radioshack's old brand) Pro-35, a Uniden SC230, and my newest one, a GRE PSR-700. My dad has a bunch also, a Radioshack Pro-95, a Pro-107, and a Pro-82(?). I have the GRE mounted in the Monte, but NY is one of those states that prohibits use of a scanner in a vehicle so I'm hoping that if I ever do get stopped, I can say I use it for Fire/EMS purposes only, considering I am a member of that lol.
Since you're affiliated with Fire/EMS I don't think they'll hassle you about it.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Here is some info on NY scanners laws. New York Scanning Laws From what I can tell unless your a peace officer it is illegal. Hopefully the police in your area are more co operative then in other areas and they let it slide.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nyislanders
Didn't know it was illegal in NY. I dont have a permanant set up but every so often i'll have the scanner with me. I dont think its something ny police are concerned with. Its probably something where they'll pull you over for something else then nail you on a scanner if they even do.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

is a radio shack pro 89 worth 30 bucks and easy to use? thinking of getting one on ebay.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Any scanner is going to have a learning curve, but that one is pretty simple to figure out. Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to listen to and the type of systems being used in your area. It is an older analog type and doesn't have digital or trunking capabilities, so it is only good for analog simplex receiving. Here's some info about it:

RadioShack PRO-89 200-Channel VHF/Air/UHF 800 MHz Handheld Race Scanner (200-0514)

Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike, when I go to this site it wants me to download info for listening, but my computer says it could be harmful for my computer???? Should I do it or will something screw up my computer? Let me know what you did.....thanks

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com

Quick Reply: Police scanner's