Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

OnStar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Default RE: OnStar?

To a degree yes. Lojack uses a higher frequency, and is detectable to roughly 5 in. Very accurate because the signal is unique. There is no outside interference, and only police services use it. However, this is Lojack's acheles heel. Not all police services use the system. The transmitter has an overall power of 500feet once active. The probem is once it is active, once active, lojack uses a 5w signal and is easy to locate and remove by the thief, by using a simple swr meter. It all depends on how much time the thief has before he is caught. Its an excellent system and about as fool-proof as you can get if you live in a metro area.

Onstar uses cellular tracking is only as accurate as the amount of towers availible. Typically you need 2 towers to be able to guess a location, accuracy might be within about 50-100 feet. If a 3rd is added, you can have an accuracy of around 25 feet. In certain centers such as Ottawa, Ontario which is a smaller city and it has 26-30 towers, the accuracy is nearly scary. Even in Stitsville, almost 50km's outside of ottawa, accuarcy was still roughly 2-3 feet.

This is why we dont see too many chevys with onstar on the IIHS (sp?) 10 most stolen vehicles list.

The thing I like best about lowjack is, that its small enough to fit on anything.. Welders, computers, motorcycles. Good luck getting onstar on your mountain bike! lol

Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Fox, all theives know that all you have to do is pull the plastic off of the driver's A-post and cut the wire to disable the ON-Star tracking system.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Actually If they wanted to preserve the interior, all they have to do is disconnect the battery, or disconecct the module in the trunk.

And with lojack, it all depends on how well your installer hid it. And it costs around $600 to install it.

Guess the option is there, but the reality is, if a thief really wants your car THAT bad, hes gonna find away to get it.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Which leads us to the next logical question.

Can a theif 'hotwire' a Monte without the 'PassKey?'

Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Now that is a toughie I know abseloutly nothing about. Other then the old routine ot taking your key to canadian tire and having a new one doesnt work, and the keys are more costly.. I know the old malibu's were notorious for havin it konk out, but futher then that.. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Actually If they wanted to preserve the interior, all they have to do is disconnect the battery, or disconecct the module in the trunk.

So what about the Onstar backup battery? (I just had tohave the one in my car replaced)

Onstar claims they're better at helping cops catch car theives who snatched cars equiped with Onstar, too.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Hmm.. Im not sure if onstar has a backup system or what its capabilities are. I personally havent seen the inside of the Module, or even what capability the onstar backup battery has. It would make sense for GM to put a back up battery init. It might not even be in the module; It could theoretically be anywhere.

As for what they say.. .Well.. I wonder if its a fact or a sales ploy. Ive only seen gm's with the onstar system so far, I dont know from personal experience how well the theft system works, i just know the specs of the configuration, and the basis on how it works.

I do know how the airbag notifiaction system works from first hand- err. first face experience, but I wont spam that story unless you want to hear it. But the short is, thats the main reason why I still subscribe.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM

About the Diagnostics, and why I only have it for 3 months, It is a pre owned vehicle, if you have never subscribed before then you get it free for 3 months, as well as 30 mins of hands free calling, your own phone number, and Vehicle diagnostics, which is what im interested in. mine is an 06, and it is capable of having turn by turn directions, just over the mic tho, theres no display or anything.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Hmm, if vehicle diagnostics are free... I'm all for that! Even if it's only 3 months. But after that I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to pay 20$ more a month for it.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah actually and they send you an email once a month showing whats all going on with your car, I can post a pic of one if you guys like. Lotsa useful info on it.. I havent seen what happens when the check engine light comes on tho..

I do like the advantage that they can get you roadside assistance, as I dont own a cell phone. I like the airbag notification, just wish I could remember it. lol

Quick Reply: OnStar?