Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should they be Banned while Driving ?
Texting while Driving ?
94.74%
Talking on Phone while Driving ?
52.63%
Eating While Driving ?
42.11%
Smoking while Driving ?
52.63%
Kissing while Driving ?
42.11%
Jumping Up & Down while Driving ?
52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Mousehouse, that's what I was asking for in one of my first responses when Chibi figured I was just arguing for the sake of arguing. If they're gonna throw out numbers, they need to throw out ALL the numbers. But that won't happen. Government can't be trusted to act in our best interests anymore. Their bowing to special interest groups proves that.
Unfortunately we as a society are responsible for the way our government is operating. We need to accept nothing and question everything. We have accepted and questioned little for the last thirty years. Almost like cattle led to slaughter.
Things I want to question? Why are most of our politicians rich men and lawyers? Why is it that there seems to be only two successful political parties in our government? Answer: the Republicand and Democrats have enacted legislation that favors only these two parties in an election. Now that the Republicans have the upper hand they are enacting legislation that favors them at election time making it more difficult for a Democrat to win.
Are you aware that on your federal tax return there is a box on there that asks if you would like to have the government set aside one dollar to be used for the candidates running for president? This dollar does not come from your portion of the tax return. You loose nothing by checking yes. One dollar is set aside from every tax payer that checks yes. Are you also aware that this fund can only be used if you are a Democrat or a Republican? Third party candidates are barred from receiving those funds. There are more and I am seeing them as I study for my run to the white house.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM

I do recall seeing that on my tax return. The thing that sucks is that those of us who try to educate people about what's really going wrong are labelled as crazy. Some people are finally starting to see the light of what's going on but we still have a long way to go.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres an article about the crash that sparked the debate. the 2 school bus, pickup, semi crash. People need to be smart with their phones, i'll admit i use mine but only when i deem it safe enough, no traffic, long straight roads. If theres heavy traffic or winding roads i dont even think about it. It is what it is, its like drunk driving you can ban it all you want but its still gonna happen and its sad when innocent lives are taken because someone is stupid.

For Mo. students, cellphone debate isn't academic - Yahoo! News

Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Heres an article about the crash that sparked the debate. the 2 school bus, pickup, semi crash.
Saw that too, and the real ugly picture of the pickup rolled up like a hoho.

BUT! The school bus drivers were following too close and probably speeding. Wouldn't they have hit the semi tractor anyway if there was no texting pickup driver?

FTA
While both school bus drivers were charged with careless driving, their cases have not yet gone to court.
Heard also that this total cellphone blackout is not so total. Hands free items that are BUILT IN to many of today's cars will still be allowed. So there probably are some elected representative getting bribed errrr lobbied by both the car insurance companies and the auto companies.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Don't get me started on insurance companies. Is there anything that insurance companies have gotten involved with that they have not completely F'd up? Now there is something we could ban and I'd jump all over that band wagon. Insurance companies are one of the most evil inventions of all time. They began with a noble cause and look whaty they turned into. Insurance companies used to be co-operatives that realized that a loss could be better handled by a lot of people over an extended period of time. That concept works then some greedy S.O.B. Saw that pool of money with limited losses and figured out how to get his hands on it. What resulted is our modern insurance company.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 12-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Barovelli

Heard also that this total cellphone blackout is not so total. Hands free items that are BUILT IN to many of today's cars will still be allowed. So there probably are some elected representative getting bribed errrr lobbied by both the car insurance companies and the auto companies.

So basically the auto companies are lobbying for legislation to create a bluetooth monopoly for them. You've gotta be kidding me. Of course I'm sure the cost of having it built in would "magically" skyrocket overnight if this were to be passed. I'm sure services like OnStar would skyrocket in price as well. Like I said before, it's all about the money.