Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should they be Banned while Driving ?
Texting while Driving ?
94.74%
Talking on Phone while Driving ?
52.63%
Eating While Driving ?
42.11%
Smoking while Driving ?
52.63%
Kissing while Driving ?
42.11%
Jumping Up & Down while Driving ?
52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I'm not trying to start anything here.
Originally Posted by Taz
Again, I'm not arguing or upset.

`Lou, I'm not upset either, & really have learned so much from member's on our forum...We are such a diverse group from many backgrounds & experiences 4-Sure....

I wonder how the 3,000 + family feel that lost someone they love by the distracted driver(s)

"According to NHTSA, more than 3,000 people lost their lives last year in distraction-related accidents", said Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman. "It is time for all of us to stand up for safety by turning off electronic devices when driving."

"No call, no text, no update, is worth a human life."
Thanks everyone for taking your time to post your thoughts & opinions on this serious subject that affects so many on our highways of life...I may not agree with everyone, but I do respect your right to your opinion 4-Sure...

Peace/Happy/Out....."Be Safe Out There & Drive Defensely"

Old 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
you can easily hide your phone and say you were checking your zipper or some other quick excuse.

I'm gonna remember this.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
you can easily hide your phone and say you were checking your zipper or some other quick excuse.
"Uh... yeah officer.... I.... uh..... was..... admiring my private parts."

Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Taz

LMAO! "Uh, sorry officer, i was actually just resting my eyes for a bit" "But your eyes were not closed...." "It is an old military trick....we sleep with eyes open, so we trick the enemy..." lol

Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So what are the risks of speeding?

Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2004, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,192 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes..

Now who favors governing all cars to 70mph tops? Or calling for a maximum 60 HP rating for all passenger cars?

If ya'll just roll over and accept laws that do nothing but add to the control over your freedoms, you will not blink an eye when the troopers come to confiscate your contraband muscle car.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Governing cars horsepower and speed would be rediculous and even un safe. Suppose you need to outrun someone or need to get somewhere fast... Or you dont have enough horsepower to do daily tasks.

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 12-16-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Hmmm, that might not be the best thing to say.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:13 AM

Guys and gals; I'm not advocating that we all move in with Wally Clever, Robert Young, Ozzie Nelson, or move up to Waltons Mountain. That isn't reality and it never was. There however used to be morality in this country. There used to be a time when people would strive to do what was good for the country. There was a time when there was respect for your fellow man. There was a time when selfishness was not so prevalent. It is an attitude and a morality that we need to return too. In my lifetime I have seen the breakdown of the country. I have seen the breakup of the American family. I have seen the demise of the middle class. I have seen the losses of personal freedoms and government intrusion. I have seen the prisons fill up and the continued rise of crime. The ages of the criminals committing the worst of the crimes is dropping. I have to think that all these things are related.

I do think that texting behind the wheel is a bad idea. I think any distraction behind the wheel is a bad idea. I posted my ideas about banning things to the extreme.
The NHTsA and the NTSB are both government agencies that are supposed to advise on safety. Both of these agencies are heavily lobbied and influenced by the insurance companies. Any studies and statistics that they site need to be scrutinized for there accuracy. For instance they site that 1250 lives were saved since 1973 because of air bags. They refuse to disclose how many lives have been lost because of air bags. They refuse to disclose how many accidental deployments there have been and the damaged caused because of them. Because 1250 lives were saved now every new car and truck sold in the USA has multiple air bags because the government mandated it at the urging and lobbying of the insurance industry. It has taken away my personal freedom.
Seat belts are another loss of my personal freedom. The government has mandated that I wear one again because of insurance companies. Whether I wear or don't wear a seat belt affects no one else on the road but me, but yet I have no choice, wear it or be subject to a hefty fine for not wearing it. I think seat belts are a good idea. To ban the choice to wear or not wear is a bad idea.
There are thousands possibly a hundred thousand wrecks in America every year for multiple reasons. One member quoted less than 4000 wrecks or fatalities caused by texting and someone else quoted under 14000 wrecks or fatalities because of speeding. Both of these figures are a tiny percentage of the total wrecks or fatalities in a year. I agree every human life is valuable and any loss of life should be prevented if possible. Passing more laws that restrict more freedoms is not the way. Our government can not be trusted to put our best interests first. Lately all they are concerned with is stealing our money and controlling our lives.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barovelli
So what are the risks of speeding?

Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2004, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,192 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes..

Now who favors governing all cars to 70mph tops? Or calling for a maximum 60 HP rating for all passenger cars?

If ya'll just roll over and accept laws that do nothing but add to the control over your freedoms, you will not blink an eye when the troopers come to confiscate your contraband muscle car.
Again this is a cop out by the NHTSA. Give me the details rather than the scare tactics. They uses to say speed kills. Well in fact speed doesn't kill, the sudden stop does. Getting right down to the facts if there is a crash one of the vehicles was going too fast. I would suspect that most of the crashes don't occur at 70 MPH. I suspect that most crashes and fatalities occur on secondary roads at speeds less than 50 MPH. I don't have facts to support my suspicions. The government would want those out. We only get what supports their agenda.
I support speeding tickets issued in school zones. I support speeding tickets issued on ice covered roads. How often do you see cops running radar in a school zone? Usually only when there is an incident and a child is hurt or there are multiple citizen complaints.
Instead we have cops that drop the posted speed limit two or three times in a short distance and set up radar because it is more bang for the buck. Is there a safety reason to drop the speed limit? No it is for revenue generation. Is driving 76 on an interstate with a 70 speed limit unsafe? Usually not but that is where the cops are set up and issuing tickets. I would have to say a fair portion of the police force are nothing more than glorified cashiers. Put the cops in areas where there are safety issues. Traffic enforcement should be for the purpose of enforcing safety. Most of it is revenue generation.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 AM

Mousehouse, that's what I was asking for in one of my first responses when Chibi figured I was just arguing for the sake of arguing. If they're gonna throw out numbers, they need to throw out ALL the numbers. But that won't happen. Government can't be trusted to act in our best interests anymore. Their bowing to special interest groups proves that.

Quick Reply: NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving