Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need For Speed Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
1 Year Member
Default Need For Speed Review

Alright guys so I just got home from seeing the new Need for Speed movie and I have to say, I was very surprised. I went in with relatively low standards for it. Mainly because most games that are made into movies, or the other way around, are normally not good to say the least. On top of that it seems like every movie like this tries to copy Fast and Furious. And before I go into the review I will try not to give any major spoilers or anything like that. But there may be some small spoilers, but it shouldn't ruin anything for you. Pretty much everything I'm going to talk about is pretty much already out there if you have fallowed the movie any.

Ok, so being a car forum, let's start with the cars. They have everything from old school muscle cars like GTO's, Torino's, and some other very sexy older car, up to top of the line near priceless cars such as the Koenigsegg Agera R, Veyron, and Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. However I think probably my personal favorite was the 2013 Ford Mustang GT500, hich is the "hero" car. The car just had so much attitude that it was impossible to not like. Here is a few pictures of the Mustang as well as a list to all the cars if you want to check it out. There are no spoilers in this link, just the cars. The Complete 'Need for Speed' Car Guide

Ok, so let's go ahead and get the bad out of the way. The movie is fairly predictable and does follow kind of the standard racing movie suit. I was able to tell kind of what was going to happen before it did which kind of took away from it a little bit. But it does change a lot of stuff up as well which helps that. Next is the car "physics", there are some parts that just being a car guy I can tell that a car wasn't supposed to do what some of these cars did. But that is how it is with pretty much any car movie.

Those are about the only downsides that I can think of right now.

Now on to the good, Acting is actually really good. By halfway through the movie you have a pretty solid connection with almost every "major" person in the movie be it a good or bad connection. The movie also throws a couple curve ***** that I didn't even personally see coming and really makes you feel for a couple of the characters.

Next big thing is sound. In a car movie or anything where cars are a main focal point, sound is one of the biggest things for me. I've personally heard more cars then I can think of and I feel like I have a pretty good concept of how a particular car should sound. Every car and every model of car has a particular tone that they have. Yes every car is going to sound a little different and every model and brand of car is going to sound different. Fast and the Furious to me personally doesn't even do sounds that well. This movie in my opinion has the sounds spot on. And it focuses on them, it doesn't tune them out or quiet them down or anything like that. Obviously when someone is talking they have to quiet them down a bit just so you can here the actor talk. But other then that the cars just sound plain mean. The Mustang sounds like it wants to bite your head off. So that is probably the biggest thing I applaud them for.

Overall impressions are very good, if you can get past the little things and go in with an open mind you will really enjoy the movie. Even if you don't like the story or acting you will absolutely love the cars. I would absolutely recommend you see this in theaters unless you have a really nice sound system at home. No matter how you see it, you should absolutely see it.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for the review. Your pre conceived notions regarding movies being made in to games and game being made in to movies is very accurate is I feel the same. I am glad the acting in the movie is actually worth watching. I am also glad they actually make the cars part of the stars in the show. I will definitely be watching this one.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
Thanks for the review. Your pre conceived notions regarding movies being made in to games and game being made in to movies is very accurate is I feel the same. I am glad the acting in the movie is actually worth watching. I am also glad they actually make the cars part of the stars in the show. I will definitely be watching this one.
Just don't watch it in 3D, it's kind of cool and there are some nice 3D parts. But overall it wasn't a very heavy 3D movie.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

So it jumped on the 3d bandwagon just because everyone else is doing it, lol, I will save the money and watch it in regular then. Thanks for the heads up

Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Cool Thank You!

Yesterday, 11:30 PM
iMuf

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Thank `You
for posting/sharing your review +

Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I want to see it so bad but idk when I'll get a chance to. I'm working 15-18 hrs days so there is no time for movies I hope I get some time off soon lol

Old 03-15-2014, 11:38 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
I want to see it so bad but idk when I'll get a chance to. I'm working 15-18 hrs days so there is no time for movies I hope I get some time off soon lol
Yea, when you get some free time it is certainly worth it.