Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My Ongoing Dead Battery Saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011 | 12:36 PM
rj
|
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member
Default My Ongoing Dead Battery Saga

With my '06 Monte.

Since october then thing doesn't want to hold a charge.

Yesterday I called the Chevy dealer to see about getting the car in. Since last year the service dept has had some changes such as a new service manager.

Tim, the guy who was there when I bought the car seems to have left the dealership. The new guy I talked with first told me my original warranty was up in 2009. (thank you for that information that I'm much aware of sir)

Then he tells me I do not have an extended warranty. I explained yes I'm certain I do. Oh, wait. He finds the information on another page in the computer.

Now he tells me they want to see the car first. To determine what is and is not covered by the extended warranty.

WAIT ONE MINUTE!!!!
The extended warranty I purchased is almost as good as the original warranty. According to the brochure they gave it the Preminum level (which I have) covers just about everything. So the alternator/battery should be as well.

I plan on making a copy of the warranty brochure and stopping at the dealer. I want them to explain to me "WHAT" may not be covered on the car? I know I have two weeks to get the car to a running/ starting vehicle or I'm in some deep do-do.

Old 06-10-2011 | 12:45 PM

Seems that what is/is not covered by the extended warranty should be pretty straightforward. They certainly wouldn't need to 'see the car' to determine what's covered. Makes me kinda leery about that dealer.

Is the warranty only good at GM dealer or can you take it somewhere else? Or is there another dealer (any GM not just Chevy) nearby you could try?

Old 06-11-2011 | 01:45 PM
rj
|
15 Year Member

I was told at the time of purchase the extended was so good it was comparable with the factory warranty. And that it was good at any GM dealer in the US.

So if I got to say Zero, California and had problems with the car. As long as there was a GM dealership the car could be towed to, they would honor the extended warranty.

Old 06-11-2011 | 04:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

RJ, with the luck you've been having with batteries, don't buy a Chevy Volt. LOL

Old 06-11-2011 | 05:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Wow someone who can actually use the extended warranty. Take it to them as many people buy them and never really get any real value back from that purchase. Perhaps they want to keep your car for 2 weeks and let your warranty expire and then give it back to you...... Good luck on the repair, be strong like you have been and you can win this....

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:02 PM
rj
|
15 Year Member

Taz. lol
I'm ready to buy a Durablast at AZ and call it even.

I paid $1720.00 for the extended warranty. Last year when the dealer got the car (for the very same reason) they never even charged me for anything. They said they knew the dead battery issue had been plaguing the car since I bought it and they were going to see what they could do to get it resolved for me.

PS. maybe if I drove the car more the battery wouldn't go dead? But......... no where does it say I actually have to drive the car to keep it in running order.
ie. a working battery.

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:48 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

RJ, with all the cars you have, I'm sure you must have Battery Tenders on some of them. What about putting a Battery Tender on your 06?

Old 06-14-2011 | 11:49 AM
rj
|
15 Year Member

I keep a small battery charger on the car constantly. A couple of times the car battery went completely dead and I'd just charged it.

Should I feel bad?
My 70 year old parents came out and helped me get the '06 Monte out today. My dad even helped me get the '57s back in.

* Note: This is a first in recorded history. Cause they never even offered to help before.

But the car is setting outside right now. First it's been out since last june.

Old 06-15-2011 | 11:30 AM
rj
|
15 Year Member

Seems that what is/is not covered by the extended warranty should be pretty straightforward.
Seems I was lied to by the former sales manager. Surprise right?

The extended warranty I have is NOT comparable to the factory warranty. For one the battery is not covered under the extended.

The Chevy dealer has the car right now. They said I could bring it to them and they would try to get to it today. So I guess I'll see how things go.

Right now I'm kind of irritated I was lied to about this extended warranty. I feel like once I get the car back going for the cancellation feature and get some of my money back.
(hopefully half the original cost)

Why have it if it's not going to cover things I was told it would.

Old 06-15-2011 | 11:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

The only way to take care of this car it to keep you battery tender on it.
The car seems to have a paracitic drain on the battery all the time.

Quick Reply: My Ongoing Dead Battery Saga