Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My birthday present TO MYSELF, a 2000 DIABLO RED Monte LS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see a Monte with some possibilities.

Okay there's a nice dent in the driver side quarter but the majority of it can be pushed back out with minimal effort.

I got to agree I'd go for the mechanical issues before I'd go for the cosmetic stuff. Then I'd drive the wheels off of it.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Photobucket

Rj... chibi... yeah, it's getting all the mechanical taken care of first, my dad is a body man so i'm SURE he'll be screwing around with it while I'm fixing it up as well... he likes doing that kind of stuff. He saw the monte with the possibilities, and to get it for the price I got it for (1400 final as opposed to what he DID want because he misrepresented the size of the dent in the door) ... well... you really can't beat it. Dealers want 6 grand for that car (they're crazy). Obviously i've spent considerably less.

even IF I spend money, and I mean yea right now my insurance check is covering most of what's needed, the transmission place will give me down to the penny what it will cost... they're working on it late tonight TO GET IT DONE because they know I want my car rolling.

I'll take it to States Tire (IF YOU LIVE IN SW PA THEY ARE THE PLACE FOR TIRES!) to have them examine my tires / brakes see what's needed, what it will cost, etc.

And on a completely different topic, my uh... part time boyfriend dude wants me to drive to cleveland (he's a pilot) to meet him tonight he's a pilot.... I'm wondering if I should waste my time i mean it's almost a 3 hour drive.... I can overnight with him should I so choose, but... I work at 2 pm tomorrow... I can always leave in the morning when he goes for his flight out to wherever he's going... but... Yeah. Dilemma!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM

honestly the boy issue, I would get things fixed up at home and save the money for the car. Once thats fixed up the the car will attract a guy close to home for you.

The tranny issue I would do the Chibi idea and check fluids, also if anyone tries to sell you a tranny flush tell them to stick it. its a load of BS, change the fluid but not the filter is retarded cause the new fluid wil never get cleaned and the tranny will suffer anyway.

Good to hear you have a shop looking at it. Anyway hope the car gets together and you run into a good set of rims for cheap(like on craigs list or ebay).

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
rj
15 Year Member

A 3 hr drive? I hope you like this guy. Is he picking up any of the tab? Like the gasoline to come see him? If he's a pilot he must have some $$$?

Keep us updated on the Monte.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see some potential there too. The sideswipe is an expensive cosmetic repair. But cosmetic.

Those rims are the optional LS rims. I've seen them on Monte's around town here also.

You're real dilemma is the engine and transmission. You could spend money to get the original engine and transmission fixed. But I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. What if you found a good deal on a good used 3.8 litre engine and tranny combo?

Maybe if the price is right, it might be worth your while to ditch the original engine and tranny?

Of course, some research into the cost of both situations will come into play. Repair or replace?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

research a possible motor and transmission on the link below, just for the heck of it, i'm not sure if they will have what you need, but it may help, see ya

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Photobucket

well the engine is in great shape according to my mechanic... I got the price to fix... not so bad.... got the trans for 300... i ain't complainin.... a tuneup will probably shut her up... and that side swipe isn't so bad my dad can fix that... a body hammer and some patience is all it takes. It's worth it. And To be honest, usually he's here in PIT but last night it was CLE for some god awful reason and i hate driving in that god forsaken city because my tomtom doesn't know street names and can't calculate quick enough for me to NOT cause an accident... thank goodness I knew where I was going though.

It was worth it, a lot of issues came to light and let's just say i'm definately slowing my roll.

those rims on that car are super ugly though.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you thought.