Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Most Recalled Cars in 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Most Recalled Cars in 2007

[align=center]No Chevy's/GM Cars[/align][align=center]By GARY HOFFMAN, AOL AUTOS

[:-]
Most Recalled Cars of 2007

Vehicle
1. Volkswagen New Beetle

2. Toyota Tundra & Sequoia

3. Jeep Liberty

4. Nissan Altima

5. Hyundai Tucson

6. Jeep Wrangler & Dodge Nitro

7. Suzuki Forenza & Reno

8. Volkswagen Passat & Passat Wagon

9. Lexus ES 350

10. Chrysler Sebring* [/align]

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

It's been the kind of year when the total number of recalls almost seemed to match auto industry production figures.

In August, Ford Motor Co. announced it was recalling 3.6 million vehicles, mostly trucks from the 1990s, to fix a speed control deactivation switch. Last spring, Volkswagen started recalling more than 1,000,000 new Beetles from model years 2001 to 2007 to repair a brake light problem.

Even Toyota recalled 533,124 units of its 2004-2007 Sequoia and its 2004-2006 Tundra, citing problems with the lower ball joint on the vehicles' front suspension.

In Pictures: Most Recalled Cars of 2007

In recent years, hardly an automaker has missed out on the recall frenzy. "Now almost any time you pick up a newspaper, there is a recall," said Tom Libby, senior director of industry analysis at J.D. Power & Associates in Troy, Mich.

Even a base price of $168,000 is no insurance against them. Earlier this year, Ferrari recalled 216 of its 2005 and 2006 F430 coupe and spider models after problems cropped up in a clutch pump.
NHTSA says the problem "could result in a reduction in a driver's ability to shift gears while driving" and "result in a crash."

So why are there so many recalls if vehicle quality generally rises every year? In part, it's because automakers are using more shared platforms and parts, increasing the chance that a single flawed component could fail on a number of models, experts say. But recalls are also a sign that automakers are going the extra mile to fix problems and keep consumers informed, Libby said.

There is an entire universe of potential culprits. Incorrect signals from a sensor could cause an engine to shut down in traffic. Electrical short-circuits could cause anti-lock brake modules to smoke and burn. An integrated circuit in a dashboard could overheat and set instruments on fire.

Something as trivial as a plastic tag could chafe against a fuel line, and, in turn, create a fuel leak and fire. This was the scenario that led VW to start recalling nearly 58,900 2006 Jettas in August.

[ali

Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Most Recalled Cars in 2007

i was more shocked that it was mostly foreign cars.. does this mean that Americans are scared to recall their cars or does it mean that foreign automakers don't make as good of a product anymore? hmm....

Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I think it's a case of the big 3 just refusing to recall and publicly admit there's a problem. They'd much rather quietly issue a service bulletin to the dealerships. Case in point is thelower intake manifold gasket issue onGM 3.4 litre engines from 99-02. No recall, just a TSB.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 AM

Heh. I find it interesting that most of the companies that were issuing recalls were foreign. Everybody says that foreign cars (toyota, honda, VW, etc...) are better than american cars. Whatever, I think american cars are better in quality anyways. Cars are cars, they all break at one point or another. I would rather keep my money here in the states then have it shipped over the pond to riceland.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but it's a good point to make to all the people who say that foreign cars hae no problems and are better than american cars.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM

[align=center]Hi Ben, Thanks for your post [sm=americanasmiley.gif][/align]

[hr]

Detroit Improves on Quality
By REX ROY,Research onAUTOS
[align=center][/align]

Six High-Quality Domestic Choices
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][center]

There was a time when buying certain cars from Chrysler, GM or Ford was a risky proposition. Poorly engineered vehicles were sloppily thrown together by arrogant UAW members.

Back in the 1970s, I worked for my older brother at his Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge dealership in Richmond, MI. The joke at the dealership was that if you listened carefully, you could hear new Dodge Aspens and Plymouth Volares rust as they sat in the showroom. When my father's new 1978 Chrysler Cordoba (say it with me, "Fine Corinthian leather") was delivered from the factory, its build quality was so bad that it required three days of repair work just to make it ready for delivery.

Many can recount personal anecdotes like these. To be honest, I've heard my fair share of horror stories regarding foreign cars, too. Ask anybody who owned an early
Honda Civic how they survived after a winter of slogging salted Midwestern roadways. The answer will be, "Not very well." Mercedes endured a terrible spell of quality issues early this decade, with issues including faulty electronics and poor assembly quality. Even the revered masters of quality at Toyota[b] have suffered quality glitches, with several prominent lapses in 2006 and 2007.

Manufacturing Quality
While anecdotes are fun to tell ... kind of like comparing scars ... the

Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Taz

I think it's a case of the big 3 just refusing to recall and publicly admit there's a problem. They'd much rather quietly issue a service bulletin to the dealerships. Case in point is thelower intake manifold gasket issue onGM 3.4 litre engines from 99-02. No recall, just a TSB.

everything is the way it should be, and its all on the up and up.

recalls are only issued if a problem is somehow a saftey hazard.
bulletins and preliminary information on problems is availible to help fix problems faster and better / no comebacks. the more info a company puts out like this the faster you get in and out of the shop with it fixed right the first time.

there isnt a direct correlation between these things and vehicle reliability.

so as far as the big 3 not wanting to admit theres a problem... i dont think its the case. some may recall that mitsubishi was in the news a few years ago for covering up the need for numerous recalls though.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space, you had pe prety scared there.

I thought you had found a list of recalls and everyone on here with an '06/07 Monte were being given the news.