Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Most Popular Cars of 2009 ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Wink Most Popular Cars of 2009 ? ?

The most Most Popular Cars of 2009

searched for car brands and models on Yahoo! Autos.

By Jeff Voth, CarNews Media

2010 Chevrolet Camaro

The year 2009 will go down in history as a watershed moment for the automotive industry. American icons General Motors and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy protection, seizing as much taxpayer money as possible in their efforts to fend off impending doom. Both survived, but under much different circumstances than anticipated decades earlier.

Going or almost gone from the GM’s portfolio were Hummer, Saturn, Pontiac and Saab along with a myriad of employees. Chrysler, sold to Italian automaker Fiat SpA, was now under the control of Canadian-born chief executive Sergio Marchionne and harboured an immediate need for new product. A summer launch of the Cash for Clunkers program would help both, but for how long?

Ford was in amazingly good shape, declining offers for government aid in an effort to keep its counterparts from going under. Ford realized, without a healthy GM and Chrysler, it too would be out of business, not large enough on its own to keep afloat the supply network necessary to run an entire industry. New products were streaming full speed into the market, with Taurus, Fusion and Flex leading the way.

Not surprisingly, Yahoo! Autos most searched for car brands in 2009 represent the strengths and sometimes failures experienced in the auto industry this past year. Toyota and Honda placed first and second on our list. Both companies shared the spotlight with successes in new products, the 2010 Toyota Prius, and continuing sales of mainstays such as the Honda Civic and Accord. Not all was roses, however, Toyota suffered from unexpected recalls while both companies encountered downward trends and the need to exit racing, specifically Formula 1, to conserve cash and develop new products faster.

Ford ranked third, with Nissan fourth and BMW fifth. Nissan did feel the pinch of a tighter economy, but under the strong leadership of CEO Carlos Ghosn, it seemed well positioned to tread carefully while others succumbed to economic pressures. BMW continued their A-plan of designing new and exciting vehicles such as the 535i Gran Turismo, and for the most part, consumers responded. With additional product set to launch, both Nissan and BMW appear poised for additional success in 2010.

When it came to ranking the most searched for individual models, it turns out that the enduring popularity of the iconic American muscle car, such as the Chevy Camaro and Ford Mustang, is still tough to beat. In fact, five of the top 10 most searched cars are American made. However, smaller, fuel-efficient models are still top of mind with consumers as evidenced by the continued popularity of the Honda Civic, Mini Cooper and Smart ForTwo.

Most Searched Car Models for 2009

1. 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

2. 2009 Honda Civic

3. 2009 Ford Mustang

4. 2009 Mini Cooper

5. 2009 Smart ForTwo

6. 2009 Honda Accord

7. 2010 Dodge Charger

8. 2010 Dodge Challenger

9. 2009 Jeep Wrangler

10. 2009 Mazda3

Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I really like the looks of the Dodge Challenger!!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

I'd also have to shake my loyalty to the chevy brand and list my top two favs as the challenger and stang then I'd go with the mighty camaro.. I've seen plenty of smart cars on the interstate directly on the outskirts of milwaukee and really don't understand them, keep looking for them to get sucked into the draft of everyone around them....as a kid we would head down to the outdoor arcade and pay $1.25 for a few laps in thier prediesessor.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

More people looking for a Charger than a Challenger is a surprise to me... the challenger is something like $12,000 more for a baseline than the Camaro, so I understand if I start seeing more Camaro's about!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I like the Camaro! The Challenger is nice too, but I still favor the Camaro. As for the 2010 Mustang, I think Ford ruined it. The 2009's were better looking IMO.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree... the aethetics are lacking on this new Mustang. They were strong in the '05-09 as well... so I was surprised.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IDK... the 2010 Mustang turns my head more.

The challenger is amazing from the front, but it falls short for me

And the Camaro is just pure heaven in my eyes haha

Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 AM

The Camaro is the only way to go. Even the V6 will move you! The Challenger and mustang would be next, in that order. I like the Challenger's looks better than the Mustang, also the power plant it comes with but not the weight it carries. I've always been a Chevy fans so! Now the Charger is one car that needs to be looked at as well, specially the V8.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM

i always been treated well by chevy behicles and ford vehicles and fallen short with dodge products. if i have to chose between the camaro and the mustang i will ask is it a multipule choise. a, comaro b, mustang or c, both i would pick c, for both even though there is one of me. i never liked the dodges power palants i use to work for a dealer in virginia we allways had to get new motors for custimers vehicles do to mechanical falures do to manufacture defects like the oil pump going blow by oil vallys are smaller than normal and will cause a oil problem for a oil starvation. the oil vallys ontop of the v6 and v8 dodge makes are like damns for oil. thats why you barly see dodges out on the road