Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Month of May 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good evening all!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Good morning everyone and happy mothers day. It's been a little while so I thought /I should check in. Work continues on the car being a never ending project, still slowly working on body work. I did finally get coilovers installed and even though their pricey I'm very happy with the results. I finished installing them on Friday night , had to make some more clearance for the driveshaft and put the car on the trailer. Went to a closed airstrip in Siren, Wisconsin and made about 5 passes in their measured 1/8 mile. Not being a drag strip the starting line was pretty slippery so traction was a big issue even with constant spraying the starting line with VHT or whatever that stuff is called. My best pass was 8.5 seconds @ 80 mph on a time slip. Not super fast but considering wheelspin on the line I'm happy as it was the first time I ever drove on a dragstrip. As I pulled into the burnout box the guy staging the cars stopped me with the front tires in the water had me roll down the window and ask if many people asked about my car, slapped my on the shoulder rolled my rear tires in gave me the thumbs up and said "show em " It was feeling real good after the first pass when I got back to the trailer I did have a few people ask about my build. Was a great day , only wish I could have made the nationals in Michigan with you guy's.

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 05-12-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Good evening everyone and to those who are mothers, Happy Mother's Day!

I enjoyed the MMCC Spring meet and glad I went. A relief to FINALLY have my Monte's front end back together and road ready. This trip also let me burn through the remainder of last year's gas lol.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well the Weather is getting better, rained over the weekend and some on Monday morning.
Today is sunny that's great getting my Garage door repaired today, Torsion spring broke last week and we should be able to use the Garage once again today.
May be I can get the Monte home and work on it a little this week.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Good morning guys.

Took the car out for a drive last night since the weather was nice. I have a big local cruise-in I want to attend next Wednesday and then the car is going up for its brake work. I then have shows on June 9, June 15 and then Monte Nationals June 28-30. Going Gold Class at Nationals this year so I have my work cut out for me this year.

The Michigan Meet on Saturday was great! With how much rain we've had lately, the weather ended up working out very well. Even though it was a bit chilly at least it was dry. We had 26 Montes (surpassed our previous record by one) and at least one of each of the six generations (second time that's happened). I will upload some of my photos to the Forum here eventually. For now, here's a few.

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
only wish I could have made the nationals in Michigan with you guy's.
Hey, Michigan Monte Nationals has a good ring to it. We'll see you eventually, Jeff.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I enjoyed the MMCC Spring meet and glad I went.
Thanks for coming up for it, Jason! Good to see you and the car. Just in case you're interested in another, the Fall Meet will be Sept 21 'somewhere' in SE MI. I'll post when we have all details set.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Matt... Thanks for the pics. Love it. Looks like everyone had a great time. I briefly looked at a few 2006 & 2007 Monte SS recently. Because my Silverado just isn't any fun at all. But the ones I saw were way too high mileage. Yes, I know they're 12 and 13 years old now. But I just got myself out of debt. I don't feel like doing an engine swap.

Matt had mentioned about the water levels along the shores of Michigan/Detroit. It's just as bad here on the Canadian/Windsor side too. Properties all along the shore are sandbagging. Marina docks are under water. In fact one marina announced yesterday that they decided to close for the season. Like Matt said, the water levels are the highest they've been in 30 years. Unbelievable.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Good morning everyone and happy mothers day. It's been a little while so I thought /I should check in. Work continues on the car being a never ending project, still slowly working on body work. I did finally get coilovers installed and even though their pricey I'm very happy with the results. I finished installing them on Friday night , had to make some more clearance for the driveshaft and put the car on the trailer. Went to a closed airstrip in Siren, Wisconsin and made about 5 passes in their measured 1/8 mile. Not being a drag strip the starting line was pretty slippery so traction was a big issue even with constant spraying the starting line with VHT or whatever that stuff is called. My best pass was 8.5 seconds @ 80 mph on a time slip. Not super fast but considering wheelspin on the line I'm happy as it was the first time I ever drove on a dragstrip. As I pulled into the burnout box the guy staging the cars stopped me with the front tires in the water had me roll down the window and ask if many people asked about my car, slapped my on the shoulder rolled my rear tires in gave me the thumbs up and said "show em " It was feeling real good after the first pass when I got back to the trailer I did have a few people ask about my build. Was a great day , only wish I could have made the nationals in Michigan with you guy's.
Congrats Dude! What a long build and you are having success!

Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Bought an original 1971 Monte Carlo,38,000 miles on it rust free.Paint like new,out of a private car collection in Ohio

Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amontelady
Bought an original 1971 Monte Carlo,38,000 miles on it rust free.Paint like new,out of a private car collection in Ohio
Wow what a great find I had one once when they first came out, only for a short time then traded it for a Camaro, you should share a photo or more.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Good morning guys. Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend. Our weather has been alright, a lot of rain the past 3 or so weeks but we have had some nice periods here and there - this past weekend we had occasional rain but had a decent amount of sun as well. And yesterday we took the boat out for the first time this year.

Originally Posted by Taz
Matt... Thanks for the pics. Love it. Looks like everyone had a great time. I briefly looked at a few 2006 & 2007 Monte SS recently. Because my Silverado just isn't any fun at all. But the ones I saw were way too high mileage. Yes, I know they're 12 and 13 years old now. But I just got myself out of debt. I don't feel like doing an engine swap.
You're welcome! And regarding the 06-07 SSs, you have to be extremely cautious with these. They're amazing cars when good, yes, but you get a bad one and it'll be a nightmare. Make sure you're aware of the most common 'potential' problems with these LS4 cars: (1) excessive oil consumption, (2) premature trans failure (3) hvac blend door actuator failure. Granted, I feel like the trans problem especially stems from improper care, maintenance and constantly driving (beating) the car like it's a race car. Mine appears to be one of the good ones luckily. That's why I say, ask about and research these cars til your mind can't take it anymore AND find a car that looks like it's obviously been well cared for. And if you're really serious about finding one, I'd extent your search radius too. I come across them in Michigan and Ohio occasionally, and Ohio car prices seem to be more reasonable compared to Michigan (why I bought mine in Ohio). I get compliments and a LOT of interest all the time at shows and on the road. They're awesome and very fun to drive!

Took the car to it's first cruise-in of the year last Wed and now I'm well underway with my brake project and undercarriage detail. I have everything disassembled and already cleaned and detailed a good amount of everything accessible in and through the wheel wells. This car is extremely clean for having 95,490 miles with mostly factory original parts - something I pride myself in and try to reiterate at shows. Everything shown in these pictures is factory original except the strut assemblies and catback exhaust which have roughly 15k miles on them. I am extremely surprised at how well everything is cleaning up and how new the struts still look. Next will be cleaning and prepping the calipers for paint and a friend of mine is sandblasting my caliper brackets before paint.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-28-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Month of May 2019