Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Month of January 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning!

Holy crap, it's super, super icy this morning! Our area's had everything except the kitchen sink fall from the sky in the past 14+ hours including snow and sleet but mostly freezing rain - there's like 1/4" of ice on everything this morning. I could legitimately ice skate on our driveway and subdivision roads if I wanted to - secondary roads are iffy - treated main roads and highways are getting better and are slow but mostly wet by now. Detroit Metro Airport closed last night and remains closed this morning. Almost all, if not all, schools in our viewing area are closed today. There have been several highway closures this morning due to serious crashes.

Originally Posted by GTHSS
Hey drivernumber3, it was 11 degrees here yesterday morning but it's gonna be 57 here this afternoon!
It was -25 here two mornings ago and today is going up to 43!

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 01-23-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Hey drivernumber3, it was 11 degrees here yesterday morning but it's gonna be 57 here this afternoon! If Nebraska winters are too harsh then move to Virgina where the people are wilder and the weather is milder!
...practicing my prose...

Even when we do get big snows and ice we can count on thawing and mud in a few days
I have heard that too. But I have not been to Virginia, I did play with her once back in High School, but she was too fast for me.
Today it was 12 degrees, we had a skiff of snow overnight and I went out and broomd it off the drive and sidewalks

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

LMAO at played with Virginia!
Yall both have some serious winters....-25 is freaking brutal!

Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 AM

Coldest day of season here, hopefully it will pass over soon and head's to Michigan. I seen a post about a historic bridge that fell down over there also. Maybe MistreSS has more about the collapse.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning guys. 16 degrees this morning, on the downward again after 40s yesterday. Looks like scattered lake effect snow later today/tonight, with times of locally intense snow, could give us up to 2". Chatter has started of another snowstorm looming for us late Sunday into Monday. Still too early for specifics but right now it's currently showing 4-8".

Yall both have some serious winters....-25 is freaking brutal!
Oh yeah, took 40 minutes for the temp inside my car to get up to something comfortable.

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I seen a post about a historic bridge that fell down over there also. Maybe MistreSS has more about the collapse.
Yep, the historic Packard Plant pedestrian bridge over E. Grand Blvd. collapsed mid-afternoon yesterday. The Plant is currently being rehabbed but the bridge has been in bad shape for a while. A security guard said the past week or so there were signs that the bridge was unstable.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 01-24-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member

Yah I had a crush on her in 8th grade, and then in High School she said are you ever going to ask me out? I said well where should we go on bicycles. That she thought was hilarious and she invited me over to he house. So I went and like I said she was too fast for me!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Yah I had a crush on her in 8th grade, and then in High School she said are you ever going to ask me out? I said well where should we go on bicycles. That she thought was hilarious and she invited me over to he house. So I went and like I said she was too fast for me!
Oh my!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member

Hey any of yall ever heard of a strut freezing up? My friend was over this weekend and she was driving here old beater car, a ' 91geo prizm. It stayed cold as heck Monday, went from 11 to 23 degrees then back down to 13. When she left she called and said her car was banging terrible and was coming back to the house. I could here it driving up. When I pressed on the passenger rear the strut barely compressed at all. I took it for a spin and there was very little suspension travel in the right rear, if it had to travel more than an inch or so the strut became solid and banged pretty loud. I suspected it was the strut oil not moving. Yesterday after the warm-up I could not make it mess up. Today I drove it to work and it was fine. I will probably replace the strut assembly but just wondered if any of yall have had a similar thing?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM

I've never heard of the oil freezing in a strut before. I'm sure its possible, but 11 degrees is quite common in the northern states. I rather interested in what you find out .

Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Hey any of yall ever heard of a strut freezing up? My friend was over this weekend and she was driving here old beater car, a ' 91geo prizm. It stayed cold as heck Monday, went from 11 to 23 degrees then back down to 13. When she left she called and said her car was banging terrible and was coming back to the house. I could here it driving up. When I pressed on the passenger rear the strut barely compressed at all. I took it for a spin and there was very little suspension travel in the right rear, if it had to travel more than an inch or so the strut became solid and banged pretty loud. I suspected it was the strut oil not moving. Yesterday after the warm-up I could not make it mess up. Today I drove it to work and it was fine. I will probably replace the strut assembly but just wondered if any of yall have had a similar thing?
Dude who drives a Geo Prizm anyway? it probably got water up under the strut area and then with the cold you have been experiencing a chunk froze in there someplace. The best thing you can do is keep her at your place and keep her warm until the winter goes away.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Month of January 2019