Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Monte Carlo & Radiation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Default Monte Carlo & Radiation

I was just googling around for information about something known as 'monte carlo codes', and found this forum. I guess i'm in the right area (off topic) because the monte carlo I know of involves radiation detection and dosimetry.

I just went on one of these course for MCNP training. It's basically a piece of software thats used to simulate various situations involving radiation and how it interacts with materials. MCNP stands for Monte Carlo N Particle.

Pretty different to the monte carlo stuff here or what!! Hope you find it as interesting as I do

Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Monte Carlo & Radiation

ORIGINAL: Dosimetry

I was just googling around for information about something known as 'monte carlo codes', and found this forum. I guess i'm in the right area (off topic) because the monte carlo I know of involves radiation detection and dosimetry.

I just went on one of these course for MCNP training. It's basically a piece of software thats used to simulate various situations involving radiation and how it interacts with materials. MCNP stands for Monte Carlo N Particle.

Pretty different to the monte carlo stuff here or what!! Hope you find it as interesting as I do
Welcome, don't forget to post some pics..........[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM

welcome

Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Dosimetry

Uh, yeah...slightly different topic than what you are searching for, but welcome to the forum nonetheless! This online forum is dedicated to the Chevrolet Monte Carlo. One of the classiest coupesof all time.

Exactly what is dosimetry and why is is the N Particle called Monte Carlo? Is the Principality of Monte Carlo where it comes from?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I found this on the Los Alamos website:

[blockquote]MCNP is a general-purpose Monte Carlo N-Particle code that can be used for neutron, photon, electron, or coupled neutron/photon/electron transport. Specific areas of application include, but are not limited to, radiation protection and dosimetry, radiation shielding, radiography, medical physics, nuclear criticality safety, Detector Design and analysis, nuclear oil well logging, Accelerator target design, Fission and fusion reactor design, decontamination and decommissioning. The code treats an arbitrary three-dimensional configuration of materials in geometric cells bounded by first- and second-degree surfaces and fourth-degree elliptical tori.

Pointwise cross-section data typically are used, although group-wise data also are available. For neutrons, all reactions given in a particular cross- section evaluation (such as ENDF/B-VI) are accounted for. Thermal neutrons are described by both the free gas and S(alpha,beta) models. For photons, the code accounts for incoherent and coherent scattering, the possibility of fluorescent emission after photoelectric absorption, absorbtion in pair production with local emission of annihilation radiation, and bremsstrahlung. A continuous-slowing-down model is used for electron transport that includes positrons, k x-rays, and bremsstrahlung but does not include external or self-induced fields.

Important standard features that make MCNP very versatile and easy to use include a powerful general source, criticality source, and surface source; both geometry and output tally plotters; a rich collection of variance reduction techniques; a flexible tally structure; and an extensive collection of cross-section data.

MCNP5 contains numerous flexible tallies: surface current & flux, volume flux (track length), point or ring detectors, particle heating, fission heating, pulse height taly for energy or charge deposition, mesh tallies, and radiography tallies.

[blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]

Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Umm... just keep it away from my car.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

Umm... just keep it away from my car.
ROFLMAO!!!!! [sm=funnypostabove.gif] Yeah...I still don't understand what it is. But then again, Chemistry was my worst Science subject.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:28 PM

this is so far over this idiots head i wont even attempt to try on it LOL
but hey good luck.