Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Members Blog TGIF: Friday December 11, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Talking

LOL `Michael
Below is more from the MCF College
by Professor `Space lol

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank!

HELP PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!
SAVE MONEY!

• Do you top off your gas tank and overfill it?
  • When the gas pump nozzle clicks off automatically, do you add a little more gas to round off your dollar sale?
  • Topping off your gas tank is bad for the environment and your wallet.

• Here's why:
Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Gasoline vapors are harmful to breathe. Gasoline vapors contribute to bad ozone days and are a source of toxic air pollutants such as benzene. Evaporation from the spillage of gas from overfilling can occur, contributing to the air pollution problem. Remember you pay for the gas that evaporates or is spilled on the ground.

You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions.
Topping off your gas tank may foul the station's vapor recovery system. Adding more gas after the nozzle has automatically shut off can cause the station's vapor recovery system to operate improperly. This contributes to the air pollution problem and may cause the gas pump to fail to work for the next person.

Last edited by Space; 12-11-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: To Wish the Reader of this a `Happy 4-Sure : )
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok, in my defense, the only one that really applies to me is the one about gasoline vapors...LOL

When I top off, I actually pull the pump out, and use my hand to hold the rubber boot back, and then slowly pump it so I can see the gas streem and level. So I don't spill, my gas does not get sucked back into the pump, and i'm not letting gas go into the stations vapor recovery system. And as far as the gas expanding, like I said, I usually drive a decent distance right after I fill up, so all the top off gets consumed by my car before the temp outside is going to change and cause the gas to expand.

I admit guilt to letting vapors out when i'm holding the pump and pumping it in...but I don't spill the gas, so I only take partial guilt in that department. LOL.

So i'm assuming this was the wrong answer to passing professor Space's class!!!? hahahaha

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

LOL `Michael
"Deny the allegations & attack the accuser"

Retest will be given b-4 U graduate from the
University of Monte Carlo

What lol

Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM

10 Year Member

LOL...I'll be sure to study harder for the retest!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I do top off until I can see the gas in the filler neck too.
DON'T DO THAT!!! The over flow goes into the vent solenoid and you'll end up trashing it. That's REALLY hard on them. Been there, done that!

Sorry I had to run away earlier. LadyT got home.

And remember me saying my Mom passed 2 weeks ago today, and my sister was not well either? She passed away this morning at 2:00 AM in a nursing home. Judy Lynn Root, May 28, 1961 - December 11, 2009. She was PROOF that you NEED to take care of yourself. She never did.

Did anyone else we set another record last night? 245 users on @10:45 pm EST!!!
WOOO-HOOOO!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Space Id sure prefer the beach haha.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Shoudln't that mustang have chained up his drive wheels and not the steering?

Anyways, I know I'm quite well off compared to you northern members, but I worked outside on the Torino this morning from about 8:30 until 5:30. It was never warmer than 38* and as cold as 25* this morning!! I used a space heater in a tent to wet sand the hood, fenders, cowl vents, and quarter fender extensions that I sprayed a small amount of paint on yesterday but the metal was too cold and their was too much moisture in the air, so it went rather badly.

But I got a lot done today!! All of that is sanded back down, I got hte 429 ready to crank for anyone who wnats to hear ti run before buying it. I got the headlight and wiper switches re installed, I got the door handles back on and the passenger side working correctly... still need to do some work on the drivers.

BRR!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
And remember me saying my Mom passed 2 weeks ago today, and my sister was not well either? She passed away this morning at 2:00 AM in a nursing home. Judy Lynn Root, May 28, 1961 - December 11, 2009. She was PROOF that you NEED to take care of yourself. She never did.
Wayne, I'm very sorry to hear this. Man, when it rains it pours. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Wayne may she rest in peace.

It is illegal in Oregon for gas attendants to top off. Yes we can't pump our own gas. Drives me nuts. lol

Brock did you let the mustang know that it would help to put the chains on the rear wheels. Who cares if you can steer if all you do is spin the tires. lol

Well I will be back later. the dog and I are taking the suburban for a ride. It has been parked all week. Be back later.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04

It is always so sad when a family member's
departs. Hopefully she is with your `Mother &
with no more pain or suffering.
`Wayne, you are in our thoughts & prayers.
Stay strong, keep your `Faith and EnJoy
your `Life.
Human `Life Ends & we never know when 4-Sure...
What `if ?
Peace/Love/Happiness to you & yours.
The BeachBumFamily

Quick Reply: MCF Members Blog TGIF: Friday December 11, 2009