Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MCF Members Blog TGIF: Friday December 11, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Afternoon Everyone!!!

TGIF! Hope everyone has a good Friday.

I just came really close to running out of gas. LOL. I was dropping off a labor to one of the jobsites, and then on my way back to the office I could not find a Chevron station. Finally I found one, and my car took 18.379 gallons of gas...Yes, my tank is supposedly 17.5 gallons. hahaha. Few, glad I didnt run out, that would have sucked.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

haha nice job mike. i've come close before and its most def scary whenever you cant find a gas station lol. glad you made it to one before it was too late =D

Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I never get below half a tank. EVER!!!!!!!!!

Brit, I went to AutoZone and bought one of those GM Red Paint pens. It has a ball-point tip on it, and I just quickly drew it on. Also matches the Red stripe along my car, so I also have a nice touch-up pen in case of emergency

Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Michael, sounds like you need to make it a point NOT to stop at that station again for a fill-up, if they're saying it took over 18 gallons to fill up. I think most pumps are off in that direction, usually. /that one sounds like it's off a BUNCH!
Gotta go!
Be back later.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM

10 Year Member

If I filled up at half a tank, i'd be stopping for gas every other day, heck, sometimes once a day. LOL I'm bad, I usually wait till the light comes on, but usually get gas shortly after the light comes on.

This is not the first time i've gotten over 18 gallons in my Monte, actually its happend at least half a doezen times at various different stations. And I almost always get more than 17.5 (usually 17.7, 17.8ish, but thats before the needle is totally barried on E). Actually the first time it took more than 18 I called the city of San Jose weights and measures program, and they went an inspected all the pumps and found them to be spot on. So being that my car seems to always take more than 17.5, i'm leaning more toward the owners manual being off on the tank size by a smidge. I do top off until I can see the gas in the filler neck too.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Your probably running on the fumes and liquid just in your gas lines by that point :P

Filling it up past the point that the car stops you? TSK TSK. I've heard that is bad for the fuel filter and gas tank itself.

I know what it's like to stop everyday or twice a day for gas. I used to do it living in the Poconos. Still won't let it get below half

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM

10 Year Member

Yea, i'm pretty sure that I had fumes and liquid in the lines when I pulled into that station. LOL. I never drive as easy on the gas as I was. haha I acted as if there was an egg on the pedal, and I was trying not to crack it. Normally I always have my foot into it. LOL.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Talking

"We live & hopefull we learn"
Some even graduate from college WoW

Don't use your reserve fuel, it protects your pump

i am a 16 year master auto mechanic,and i do not reccommend constantly running any vehicle with an electric fuel pump low on fuel. most vehicles with an electric fuel pump,have the pump submerged in the fuel inside the tank.the purpose of this is to cool,and lubricate the pump. the reserve fuel is there to keep the pump from selfdestructing from overheating.although some vehicles have a well that the pump sits inside of,this type of pump is a modular unit,and if the well runs dry the pump could be dammaged.theese types of pumps cost close to 1000 dollars to have repaired.

Above Stolen from web site search by a `kid : )

Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

Don't use your reserve fuel, it protects your pump

I was told that before about running very low on gas all the time! great post, thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM

10 Year Member

hahaha! Thanks for the warning Space. I know i've heard that before. I've also heard that it was BS. Honestly IDK. I'm sure its not the greatest thing in the world for my car to run it so low on fuel. Ive also heard that its bad to top off, which I also do. But I don't see the big deal in topping off, especially when all of the top off gas is consumed within a few minutes of topping off. (I almost always get gas on my way to somewhere).

I guess its habbit...LOL. I really don't know whats true, and what not. I have always been this way with all my cars, and so far, never had a fuel pump crap out on me (except for the truck, but it crapped out at 220,000 miles, so I say that was just age. LOL). My mom never lets her car below 1/4th tank, and doesn't really top off more than a few cents (I usually squeeze an extra gallon in my car), and her fuel pump crapped out at 85K in the bonne.????? Thats why I say who know what is really true.

But I would say it probably is BETTER to not run your car overly low on gas (like I just did LOL). Or run it out of gas ( which i've also done ). I'll try and be better about filling up before the light comes on. But i'll still top off. (I need that extra gallon sometimes....hahaha, like today. LOL)

Quick Reply: MCF Members Blog TGIF: Friday December 11, 2009