Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

MC "NOT" A Muscle Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Down here in southeast Florida there are quite a few cruises and shows. The way it works (although there's no WRITTEN rules) is that a "classic" car show or "classic" car cruise is limited to cars 25 years old and older (the same criteria as for antique plates in Florida), but "open" car shows and "open" cruises have NO year cutoff date.
I've been living in SE Florida for over 17 years and so far it seems to work pretty well. BUT----- in the last few years there seems to have been a drop in "classic" car numbers at shows and a DEFINITE increase in late model cars at shows and cruises. It would appear that the younger guys are more interested in late model cars than 25 year old and older cars, and that the oldtimers with the old hot rods and 50's and 60's street rods are dwindling, so there's been more pressure to allow late models in shows and cruises simply because they are needed to keep up the number of cars participating. Also, it seems that the spectators are more and more identifying with the newer cars, so it's only common sense to include them in shows and cruises.
Things change over the years and we'll just have to change with them.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its for people like these that I build the BudChev. It repeatedly out muscles the muscle cars.
But I also don't want to be a part of any car show that I'm not wanted at (that hasn't happened yet). Its foreseeable that someone who has invested many years and dollars on a restoration project would hate being "shown up" by a car like mine... or a nice "newer" 4th gen Monte either. We're just a bunch of young whipper snappers...

Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

The term "muscle car" is defined differently from one person to the next. Many people define it to conveniently include the cars they like, and exclude the cars they don't like.

Wikipedia says this:

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobile. The Merriam-Webster definition is more limiting, "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving." The term generally refers to 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars, and sometimes full-size cars equipped with large, powerful, V8's, and sold at an affordable price for street use and both formal and informal drag racing.

As such, they are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GT's intended for high-speed touring and road racing.

Building on the American phenomenon and developing simultaneously in their own markets, muscle cars also emerged in their own fashions in Australia, South Africa, the UK and elsewhere.

The Monte Carlo is classified as a Luxury Sport coupe. I think people tend to reclassify cars according to personal taste and changes in people's standards over time.

By today's standards, ALMOST every new car with a V8 engine is considered a muscle car. But up until 20-25 years ago, most American cars came with a V8. Does that make them all muscle cars? Of course not. It's not that simple. I know someone locally who took a 1976 Dodge Dart, and built up the engine and tranny to perform like a muscle car. Was the 76 Dodge Dart a muscle car in 1976? No. Are they now? No. But that one specific car this guy built up could now make an argument for being called a muscle car. It depends on how people want to define "muscle car".

But back to Monte Carlos.

I find it ironic that people will call the V6 Buick Grand National a muscle car, but won't call the 4th gen Monte Carlo SS a muscle car.

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo was always classified as a Luxury Sport coupe. The 1995-2007 Monte's are somtimes referred to as "Sporty". Which in my opinion is people's way of saying, "Your car looks fast. But it's really an underpowered, front wheel drive, grocery-getter, pile of crap. It's not in the same league as my... (insert overpriced performance car here)."

Just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think that the Muscle car definition can be seen by many in different ways.

But specifically for this show it's how the operators define it, "American Made, RWD" if you look at the full list, they include the 2003-2004 Marauder and 1994-1996 Impalas both are 4 doors...

And of course other G-Bodies are allowed in..

This is more support to get the Monte Carlo Name listed and less a definition of Muscle Car.

Thank You All for the support it is much Appreciated!.

Joe

Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
...But I also don't want to be a part of any car show that I'm not wanted at. Its foreseeable that someone who has invested many years and dollars on a restoration project would hate being "shown up" by a car like mine... or a nice "newer" 4th gen Monte either. We're just a bunch of young whipper snappers...
I feel the same way Brent. Most of the shows and cruise-ins I've seen or been to, a 95-07 Monte looks way out of place. And most people tend to just keep walking.

I'm thinking that GM Powertrain meet in St Catharine's on August 5th is going to be mostly Camaros (new and old), Corvettes, and various other classic cars like the old GTO's, etc...

Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM

I define my monte as a sport coupe. Muscle car is a very personal term. I do not consider any front wheel or all wheel drive cars as muscle cars. To me a muscle car is rear wheel drive and above average horsepower for its time. Bang for the buck so to speak. As we the younger generation grows older, the definitions will change I am sure.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Taz
I feel the same way Brent. Most of the shows and cruise-ins I've seen or been to, a 95-07 Monte looks way out of place. And most people tend to just keep walking.

this is true. i took mine to a show today and surprisingly got alot of ppl that were interested in my car

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I feel the same way Brent. Most of the shows and cruise-ins I've seen or been to, a 95-07 Monte looks way out of place. And most people tend to just keep walking..
Most people walk by my Monte at shows , If I take the Vette or 40 chevy they stop and talk about the car .. I think the list is missing alot of classic muscle cars.. what no Nickey Chevrolet or Ballwin Chevrolet

Last edited by zjerry; 07-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Uh how stupid can you be. NASCAR anyone? dale E sr anyone? i didnt see nascar driving a ford focus or toyota camry out there on the track. the reason why it might not be considered muscle car is because GM was idiotic to build a monster and throw a 305 in it, the replace the 305 with a v6. but the monte will always be a muscle car in my book.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Man I use to go there every satuday night when I had my 62 impala with a thumpy 454.it was a ball driving from Palm bay florida to there .anyways went there only a couple times this year and it seemed off .could'nt figure out why ,now I know,the new owners should have left well enough alone. if it aint broke ,dont fix it. Thanks for the info.
Brian

Quick Reply: MC "NOT" A Muscle Car