Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: May 2018 Monte Carlo Forum monthly Members

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Still under a high wind warning til 6pm and there's already a lot of wind damage reports across lower Michigan. Currently 230k+ in SE MI without power. A peak wind gust of 68 MPH was recorded in Bad Axe, MI and 61 MPH in Romulus, MI near Metro Airport.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-04-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow those were some huge trees that blew down. We had that crazy wind last week. When they had 2 20 plus car pile ups on I-80 with in 2 days and they were both with in 20 miles of here either west or east.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys.

Such a hectic weekend. Saturday we were at the new house for about 6-7 hours cleaning up the landscape beds - pulling weeds/grass, removing leaves and resetting some stepping stones. Sunday we went to look at some antiques and got a few pieces of furniture, one needing to go in the bed of the truck. On the way home from that, storms were starting to blow up and we got caught up in a few heavy downpours (never fails ) and the piece in the bed was soaked so we spent time drying it off and put a fan on it. Then, I was diagnosing a leak in our hot tub which turned out to be one of the heater pipe clamps so I got a replacement (surprisingly one of the spa stores was open late on a Sunday and had the clamp/gasket in stock ), installed it but then one of the gate valves I closed to be able to replace the clamp was stuck closed so I ended up having to drill it out to at least have water flow back.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Matt, just so you know. You let your wife know that you are pretty handy around the house. Opp's
I made that mistake 40 some years ago and now she always has a list for me to work on.

So around here it was a real nice weekend. Stuff I wanted to work on was not possible because I had knocked out the Sacroiliac in my back actually is my hip. So it was super painful. It is really bad when I try to get into the Car and have to lift my left leg up to get into the seat. Once there I am Okay.
As the day progressed it seemed better.
Went back the Chiropractor this morning. It feels a little better now.

Then we met up with my Son and his wife on Sunday and my granddaughter had a birthday, so we had some birthday cake.
Interstate 80 was a death trap this weekend several multi crash accidents. 2 were from texting and driving, it appears the Car came across the median and had a head-on. Then another a Semi ran into the back of another Semi. This stuff is getting crazy.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys, going up to 78 degrees today.

Last week, a diver in Old Mission Bay (15 miles North of Traverse City, MI) came across a 1979 Ford Pinto pretty far from shore in about 20 feet of Lake Michigan water.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
This stuff is getting crazy.
Yes, I agree. Just saw this morning that pedestrian deaths rose somewhere around 45% between 2000-2016. People just suck at driving to be honest and it's getting worse. I think our society's growing lack of patience and respect for others is why. It's unbelievable what I see in just one day of driving. And politeness is slowly going away too, everything is expected... it's amazing the amount of people that don't offer a thank you for things like holding a door open or a wave for stopping to let someone enter traffic in front of you.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-08-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Yes, I agree. Just saw this morning that pedestrian deaths rose somewhere around 45% between 2000-2016. People just suck at driving to be honest and it's getting worse. I think our society's growing lack of patience and respect for others is why. It's unbelievable what I see in just one day of driving. And politeness is slowly going away too, everything is expected... it's amazing the amount of people that don't offer a thank you for things like holding a door open or a wave for stopping to let someone enter traffic in front of you.[/QUOTE]

Saturday evening after Church we went to dinner out and left the Café and I turned on the road traffic was nothing for 2 blocks, I look in my rear view mirror and this guy is right on my bumper, the downtown speed limit is 25 I chose the left lane for traffic and he pulls along side and the wife thought he flipped me off. But when I pulled along side him again he just looked away. He had a cool car though but not sure what it was. Drivers training is not long enough and detailed enough anymore.
I am old school I hold the door for Women all the time no matter who they are, I had a lady thank me the other day for that, she that hadn't happen since before her husband had passed. and when somebody lets me into traffic I will usually wave if possible to say thanks.
Now when I was in Tennessee in 2016 those folks always let you in to traffic even from a parking lot.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys.

@ drivernumber 3... I don't know if it's just a Midwest thing but a lot of people up here are in the biggest rush, are in it for themselves and could care less about others. I get tailgated all the time, everyday. Even when traffic is doing 10 mph over the speed limit there's always someone that needs to be right on you. You get multiple people doing this in a row and that's how accidents happen, but don't try to tell any of those drivers that cause they'll tell you to f-off because God forbid they're wrong.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-09-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Question

@ drivernumber 3... I don't know if it's just a Midwest thing but a lot of people up here are in the biggest rush, are in it for themselves and could care less about others. I get tailgated all the time, everyday. Even when traffic is doing 10 mph over the speed limit there's always someone that needs to be right on you. You get multiple people doing this in a row and that's how accidents happen, but don't try to tell any of those drivers that cause they'll tell you to f-off because God forbid they're wrong. [/QUOTE]
Back in the late 60's I lived in California, and that's the way it was up until 1970 when I moved to Iowa. I think they are leaving California and moving in here and this is what happens.
But I know what you mean, I always believe if you are courteous then folks will be back too. But that often is not the case.
What I think I would enjoy doing is finding an old 64 Chevy or Buick, and Weld Rail road track or steel beams to the outside.
Then have a wrap made that says I Drive Offensively, don't P...... me off.
Just for fun, see what happens??

Old 05-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Good morning guys, going up to 78 degrees today.

Last week, a diver in Old Mission Bay (15 miles North of Traverse City, MI) came across a 1979 Ford Pinto pretty far from shore in about 20 feet of Lake Michigan water.

Now that is interesting. How do you think it got there? Ice fishing trip gone wrong? Fall off a vehicle ferry?

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
@ drivernumber 3... I don't know if it's just a Midwest thing but a lot of people up here are in the biggest rush, are in it for themselves and could care less about others. I get tailgated all the time, everyday. Even when traffic is doing 10 mph over the speed limit there's always someone that needs to be right on you. You get multiple people doing this in a row and that's how accidents happen, but don't try to tell any of those drivers that cause they'll tell you to f-off because God forbid they're wrong.
Back in the late 60's I lived in California, and that's the way it was up until 1970 when I moved to Iowa. I think they are leaving California and moving in here and this is what happens.
But I know what you mean, I always believe if you are courteous then folks will be back too. But that often is not the case.
What I think I would enjoy doing is finding an old 64 Chevy or Buick, and Weld Rail road track or steel beams to the outside.
Just for fun, see what happens??[/QUOTE]

It's not just a mid-western thing unfortunately. Even in small town areas I am finding people who think the bubble around them and their car is the exact center of the universe....rudeness abounds. I call them the walmart crowd...it seems like that's their only life.

Just for fun, see what happens??

That sounds just like my Daddy! We used to have similar idea accept we would engineer a hydralic arm to just swat rude drivers off the road into a ditch!

Last edited by GTHSS; 05-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by GTHSS
Now that is interesting. How do you think it got there? Ice fishing trip gone wrong? Fall off a vehicle ferry?
Driven out onto the ice and left there, that's exactly what they thought.

Originally Posted by GTHSS
It's not just a mid-western thing unfortunately. Even in small town areas I am finding people who think the bubble around them and their car is the exact center of the universe....rudeness abounds. I call them the walmart crowd...it seems like that's their only life.
You're right, a lot of people think the world revolves around them. And people try so hard to justify just about everything nowadays. Hard to find people that will take responsibility for their actions or admit their wrong.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 05-09-2018 at 01:50 PM.