Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> The Look Of the 2014 Chevy SS? + more

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Won't work for me.

I will be looking toward the end of this year when my leased 300c goes back. I will need front or all wheel drive to use year round in the snow and such.

Maybe I will find another low mile Monte.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
I will be looking toward the end of this year when my leased 300c goes back. I will need front or all wheel drive to use year round in the snow and such.
Eh, that argument is less valid when you are talking about a big heavy car. All you need is a proper set of snow tires, not a specific drive train.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Truthfully we are leaning towards the ATS because we can get it with the same v6 that will be in my Camaro. This will have me very familiar with working on both cars.
I would think it'll be a while before you need to start wrenching on a new ATS!

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
ATS would be better if it had a V8 option, it gets expensive once u add options, most ppl who buy high performance sedans go with BMW, Mercedes & Audi so itll be a tough sell, they shpuld called it an Impala & made the V8 a SS version & ditched the new fwd one they got coming out
I do believe in more reasonably prices cars than the imports you mentioned. A lot of companies are offering V8 RWD sedans that out perform those european cars for a lot less money. I just think Chev missed the mark. Those SRT8's are a sweet deal and its hard to spend $50,000 on the Genesis (429HP is nothing to shake a stick at)

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Eh, that argument is less valid when you are talking about a big heavy car. All you need is a proper set of snow tires, not a specific drive train.
RWD with snow tires will not get me off my street. been there tried that.
I live on a private road that does not get salted or plowed and I also have to go up about three hills to get off this street.

One day I tried my old Challenger and an F-150 w snow tires and could not make it. Had to back down and ride with the wife in her 4WD.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I do believe in more reasonably prices cars than the imports you mentioned. A lot of companies are offering V8 RWD sedans that out perform those european cars for a lot less money. I just think Chev missed the mark. Those SRT8's are a sweet deal and its hard to spend $50,000 on the Genesis (429HP is nothing to shake a stick at)
Ohh there is cheaper but its hard to out do a AMG or a M series, & SRT is about the best value for the money in the segment, i love mine but after setting in a new one i would rather have a new one lol & i looked at a Genesis & i dont see 50k there

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't consider buying one at this point in time mainly because i dont need a 4 door car. If i was married and had a need for a 4 door, i'd consider it for sure. But i say we need the holden ute here. I'd be on that like stink on crap

Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

My answer to JuniorCar's question...

I wouldn't consider buying the new Chevy SS. Basically because it's a 4 door. I've been driving my dad's 4 door Buick off and on for the past year. And I've realized what a pain it is for me to get in and out of it. Because of my height, the seat back is behind the B pillar. Forcing me to have to maneuver around the B pillar to get out of the car.

As for the limited production number. I'm guessing they're producing just enough Chevy SS's to use it in Nascar. Which could be a good thing if GM did it right.

With a limited production like that, I would load that thing up like crazy. Stay true to the SS name, and make that sucker perform like a racecar. And be sure to put all high end quality "limited edition" interior. And of course it's got to have a look all it's own. Forget the typical Chevy grill. Got to be a unique design just for the Chevy SS.

But that's what I would do. GM wants to rebadge a stock Commodore and sell it here.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM

my monte has been in shop 3 of past 5 weeks broke down 3 times and is still under warantee. what happens when warantee is up? I am done with chevy until they increase build quality, decrease price, and make a big 2 door coupe that is rwd. basicaly this is last gm I will ever own.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
my monte has been in shop 3 of past 5 weeks broke down 3 times and is still under warantee. what happens when warantee is up? I am done with chevy until they increase build quality, decrease price, and make a big 2 door coupe that is rwd. basicaly this is last gm I will ever own.
You have to keep in mind that your 6th gen Monte is a design that is over 13 years old. It was actually designed in the late 90's, with late 90's technology. You can't compare a 2013 design car to a car designed somewhere around 1998.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
You have to keep in mind that your 6th gen Monte is a design that is over 13 years old. It was actually designed in the late 90's, with late 90's technology. You can't compare a 2013 design car to a car designed somewhere around 1998.
my rental was a brand new impala. Id drove worse and had worse build quality then the monte. Granted it is not loaded like my monte is but you cant say the drive is bad because of that. My 94 Lumina was more reliable then this. It had 80k more miles on it when stuff went bad. Its fixed sold it and the guy I sold it to has not had a single problem. I had to get towed twice in a month cus the monte wont stay running.

The look of the new ss is not great. 4 doors are always a turn off. I hate re-badged cars also. That is why i hate the 2012 dart. Chevy needs to make a new high build quality coupe that is rwd or awd. v8 or v6 i dont care. Another nameplate besides camaro or vette that is affordable to the average guy. Just saying camaro adds $5k to what the car itself should cost anyway. Not impressed with the 2012 camaro ss i drove either.

Quick Reply: > The Look Of the 2014 Chevy SS? + more