Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: June 2018 Monte Carlo Forum Monthly Members Blog

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
It's been a while since I checked in last so here's my update. I've been working out of town for a few month so progress stalled on my project. Got some friends to help me overcome my biggest hurdle on the Monte Carlo the frame and the wheelbase. After spending too much time waiting on getting the parts and being turned down by a few people I did another first for me. Spent yesterday removing the body of the frame, cutting the SOB in half and put it back together. Got a few more pics taken of the process and todays plan is to get the body back on the frame and get my parking spots back. Emjoy the day my Monte friends

Also threw my exhaust picture in the mix, that piece of bar stock and galvanized piece of metal is what I made the tailpipe s with because I'm to cheap to buy Boom tubes.
Wow what a major project!! But it looks like you have it under control. Keep us updated we love this stuff.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Well it is Sunday afternoon, I just got back from my first Car show of the season.
Last year I was at this one and didn't get anything this year I won the Class Champion Trophy.
The Trophy is as tall as my granddaughter.
Once I recoup from the day it was Hot like 94 with some humidity too.
An hour drive up and about an hour an a half home just cause I was tired.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Congrats Dean on the Class champion , couldn't go to a nicer guy . I managed to get welding done and the body lowered back onto the frame. I also got a few pictures of where I joined the floors together as some people were interested in the past . Here's the final outcome .The wheelbase is now correct and time to measure for a driveshaft.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning guys.

@Jeffs02rwdSS, wow that's intense but it looks like it's coming along nicely.

@drivernumber3, congratulations on the award!

I also was at my first car show of the year this weekend - 31st An. Barn Show in Livonia, Michigan. Michigan Monte Carlo Club had 6 there and there was 479 cars altogether. I ended up taking "Outstanding" in my class - GM Stock 1989-Present.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Smile my photo of the display

Here are my Car show photo's I have some of the other cars there too.
I was parked next to the General Lee it a 65 impala, pretty cool.
Anyway someone said you need a story board because you can't be there all the time.
Last year at this show I got nothing after the show I noticed the form that they give you with your name and class on it was not on the dash wind got it.
This year I put it in a flat glass certificate frame. It stayed this time. Was really surprised because I had a GTO, and Mustangs and Firebirds to compete against.

Attached Thumbnails June 2018 Monte Carlo Forum Monthly Members Blog-img_4789.jpg   June 2018 Monte Carlo Forum Monthly Members Blog-img_4894a.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Was really surprised because I had a GTO, and Mustangs and Firebirds to compete against.
That's how it always is for me too and, depending on how classes are set up, you can be competing against people that went out and bought brand new Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs etc. to show. It's not easy competing against sub 10k mile cars that look like they just came off the assembly line. But I can say mine has been placing and getting more recognition in the past couple years. I'm getting asked more and more how many miles mine has and when I tell them it has 94k miles they give me and the car a lot more credit; everyone assumes it's a super low mile car because of how clean it is. Just yesterday I was asked that probably 4 times. Like I've said too, it's always harder at shows with participant voting.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Cool Congrats on your win this is a beautiful Monte for sure

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
That's how it always is for me too and, depending on how classes are set up, you can be competing against people that went out and bought brand new Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs etc. to show. It's not easy competing against sub 10k mile cars that look like they just came off the assembly line. But I can say mine has been placing and getting more recognition in the past couple years. I'm getting asked more and more how many miles mine has and when I tell them it has 94k miles they give me and the car a lot more credit; everyone assumes it's a super low mile car because of how clean it is. Just yesterday I was asked that probably 4 times. Like I've said too, it's always harder at shows with participant voting.
Congrats on your win this is a beautiful Monte for sure and of course my favorite color.
Mine has 194 on it I just worked on it off and on for the last 2 weeks did the clay bar and polish and that made a big difference in the way it looked.
These folks had about 9 or more Judges and at one time I saw at least 4 of them hanging around it.
I had to do my Patriotic thing and it is a Taz theme so I displayed that along with some 3 stuff too. Wonder Why?
circus wagon
I don't think you get a fair shake if the crowd does the judging they look for the fanciest thing and that is as far as they go.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Congratulations to both of you! Y'all's hard work is paying off.

drivernumber3 what's the scoop on those tires on your monte? Is that a custom t​​​​​​​ire paint you have where can you buy those tires like that?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member

Good morning guys. 59 degrees this morning.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Congrats on your win this is a beautiful Monte for sure and of course my favorite color.
Originally Posted by GTHSS
Thanks, that show was literally the first chance I've had at any detailing this year. Buying/selling homes and moving has been so busy... it was nice to get the car back out.

Last night after work I got the car back out and went to a cruise-in just down the road from our new place. They have this one once a month through the summer and probably had 60ish cars last night.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 06-12-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by GTHSS

drivernumber3 what's the scoop on those tires on your monte? Is that a custom t​​​​​​​ire paint you have where can you buy those tires like that?
Those are just regular Goodyear tires. I used a Yellow Paint Sharpie on them (oil base) Assurance is on the side wall, so I highlighted the SS. I have Eagles on the other side.
I believe I got them at a Sams club.
This was a Car that I drove for the Sales job that I had. I had an 1989 Oldsmobile 98 that I ran up to 489K and the computer went out, then I found another almost like it and drove it till the door rods all broke in it.
I had this 99 Monte I purchased it in 2000, mainly because I had bought one for my son when he was in High School.
Kind of a stupid thing I was Test driving a 97 Monte that had about 5K on it was really nice but had no Cruise control. The dealer said drive it take it out of town, I did and found the one I have I think it only had 20K on it, it was less $ than the 97 in cost and it was my favorite color too.
So now I have modified it with the ground effects, spoiler, New Carpet, 6th Gen Monte Wheels, Reclaimed leather interior cannibalized 7 other Montes from U pull it to get what I needed. I have a few more things to do yet. But it is probably worthless to sell but it's fun to play around with. lol

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: June 2018 Monte Carlo Forum Monthly Members Blog