Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Jobs? Career? Retired? School?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Whoaaaaaa, sounds like you had a hell of a life ! lol, and Yeah i hear of that Arthritis quite often, I work for pfizer pharmacuetical company so I talk to alot of patients ! If I ever come to MI, ima come visit my old buddies! lol kiddin !
My door is always open

I'm 36 miles north on I-75 from Ohio to my house here in MI.(northline-allen rd exit.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

originally i worked as a custodian at my old vo-tech school, started part time before i graduated. did that for 3 years, and was very happy with it. unfortinitly a change in the management along with our new gov. cutting school funding i was laid off and havin't found anything full time with a school scince.

after that i worked for a while at the same company as my father, which does natural gas line service hookups, small pipeline projects and general gas pipeline maintaince around NJ, PA and maryland. i was with them about a year, and wore a bunch of differant hats, lol. started just as shop help, doing inventory and cleaning up around the yard, and once the higher ups realized i was more capable than alot of the "kids" they typically hired i was running an old trojan loader on a jobsite for a while, when that finished i ran a lull A/T forklift doing site prep for the company's new shop, drove a few large single axle dump trucks for jobsites, ran a tandem axle international on a jobsite for a few weeks, and doing property restoration work. for about 2 months i was in charge of pipeline right of way clearing untill the work dried up. had fun with it, learned alot but wasin't paid very well and got tired of running around, wound up being laid off around the time sandy hit NJ and never went back.

worked at a factory making palmer's coca butter for about 3 months, hated it so gave 'em 2 weeks notice, lol.

so for the last 6 months or so i've been helping a family friend with a bunch of stuff around his property... guy has 300 acres and maintains it through a forest stewardship program... planted a 200 tree exparamental blight resistant amarican chestnut orchard that requires constant maintaince, he also has a woodmizer sawmill which i help him run, along with gathering logs and stacking the finished lumber... plus cleaning and organizing his woodshop and 8 other barns & outbuildings around his property. also built a ceder toolshed, lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I started working at Shoprite(grocery store chain in the northeast) in 2010 as a cashier. At 16 choices were limited, once I turned 18 I had to get away from being a cashier so I switched to the overnight stock crew and did that for a while. Then in march of this year I switched to the Frozen food department where my manager has been showing my the ropes ever since.

I just recently just joined the companys management training program, to hopefully become a frozen manager either until I graduate college or as a backup plan in case I don't get a job out of college.

I'm going to Devry university for a bachelors in computer information systems with a concentration in internet security. Probably have 1-1.5 years left.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

34 years in cable tv. Worked my way up from a tech, tech foreman, audit supervisor, CPE (cable boxes) supervisor and warehouse manager. Company changed names a few times - TCI-ATT-Comcast. Got let go with a nice severance and took a year off. Took another job with cable, now a lead warehouse tech at Charter. It's different going from boss to worker. No stress, no long hours, no management politics.

Watched it change from 12 TV channels to 500 channels, then internet, phone and alarms. Goal is to last another 10 years and leave California.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Zen

I went to school to wrench on cars in high school then Joined the Marine Corps for 4 years.
worked on Detriot Deisels for a while got laid off then started working in a dodge dealer for a few years till things went south.
Did a short stint at a monroe (worst place to get a car worked on)then a pontiac dealler.
An now I'm a Toyota expert techReally kills ones motovation to work on your own cars after a while of doing this

Last edited by Zen; 11-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by Zen
Really kills ones motovation to work on your own cars after a while of doing this
my dad's been a mechanic for close to years now, and says the same thing. i grew up having him tell me every day "don't be a mechanic!", lol. he still loves to wrench on his own toys, plus has the benifit of a damn good mechanical knowlage & all the tools of the trade, but he says it's more fun as hobby than a career.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I've been working in the graphics/printing industry for 20 years doing production work. I currently work for a label company near my house. I am also a production artist there - I make the parts/run the machinery, preflight and create the artwork. We specialize in Labels & Decals, Utility Markers, SmarkMark RFID, Signs & Nameplates, Safety Products and saving the best for last - Graphic Wraps for Snap-On roll cabs.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Zen

Originally Posted by skylark65
my dad's been a mechanic for close to years now, and says the same thing. i grew up having him tell me every day "don't be a mechanic!", lol. he still loves to wrench on his own toys, plus has the benifit of a damn good mechanical knowlage & all the tools of the trade, but he says it's more fun as hobby than a career.
Plus the pay has gone to crap.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Graduated high school in 2005, got a full time job at Accubuilt building van conversions at first then eventually made it to the Limo line and after getting laid off, came back to more money (19.15/hr at 20 years old) and got laid off again after 6 months from the hearse line and haven't been back since (2008)

Went to college (UNOH) starting in 2007 and graduated in 2010 with an associates in auto/diesel mechanics with an alternate fuels diploma. Got a full time job in a Ford dealer in 2010 and there currently.

But the lack of raises and just general **** from writers and customers I've had about enough of it and frankly ready to move onto bigger and better things.

Have some friends that work at Honda here in Ohio in the R&D and some in the transmissions areas, along with friends that work at GM. So I'm thinking about updating my Resume.

Andrew

Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

I'm a airforce avaionics maintainer. I work on c-17's mainting computer systems and instrument flight control systems. Basically I fix anything that controls how the plane flys. I'm also pursiung my Bachelors in electronic engineering (I love electronics!) Once I get my bachelor's ill get a commision to fly planes.

Stumpi that's one hell of a story! My moms best friend just lost her life in a motorcycle accident in which she may have lost conciousness and and cause her to swirve off the road. Waking up in the morgue... not something I would care to do.

Quick Reply: Jobs? Career? Retired? School?