Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Jobs? Career? Retired? School?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Jobs? Career? Retired? School?

So we have a decent amount of active members, and new ones counting. I thought it would be nice to create a thread of what type of careers or jobs our members have or had. And if your in school, whats your major?

Starting with me, I'm just a simple pharmacy tech, I would like to go back to school though x.x

Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Graphic Designer for a software company

Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Graphic Designer for a software company
how much does that earn you yearly? I was going to school for graphic design, but I got discouraged by the fact that I lost hope of finding a job after completion of college. Job market being so competetive for that field.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am in college, I go to Robert Morris university for accounting. I do have a part time job at a shop n save.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
I am in college, I go to Robert Morris university for accounting. I do have a part time job at a shop n save.
How do you like accounting zach?You must like numbers !

Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

I work for Metaldyne a Global auto parts Manufacture for the major car companies.

We make dampeners, transmission parts, harmonic balancers and other stuff.
Our largest project was to make a damper for an ocean liner that was 3 stories in size (the damper alone was)

I program all the Electronic document transfers between Metaldyne and our customers, banks and vendors along with doing some business reports

I have been programming since 1984 (not at the same company) have a BS in Business IT and an AS in accounting.

I turn 60 this August 2014 and planning hard to retire at 62 on August 1st 2016 - looking like I may really be able to achieve this goal

Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I work for Metaldyne a Global auto parts Manufacture for the major car companies.

We make dampeners, transmission parts, harmonic balancers and other stuff.
Our largest project was to make a damper for an ocean liner that was 3 stories in size (the damper alone was)

I program all the Electronic document transfers between Metaldyne and our customers, banks and vendors along with doing some business reports

I have been programming since 1984 (not at the same company) have a BS in Business IT and an AS in accounting.

I turn 60 this August 2014 and planning hard to retire at 62 on August 1st 2016 - looking like I may really be able to achieve this goal

Wow tad, thats quite the accomplishments ! And I hope you do too !

Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
how much does that earn you yearly? I was going to school for graphic design, but I got discouraged by the fact that I lost hope of finding a job after completion of college. Job market being so competetive for that field.
Like anything else, you just have to be really good at what you do. I graduated into a job earning 38,000, now I'm at 50k a year.

Plus my wife has her doctorate of Physical Therapy and works in a hospital. We are pretty comfortable

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I am a Retired Teamster Truck driver... Pulled floboys for a Major company here in Michigan.. (We were the guys messing up the highways during the repaving process..) Ever see those huge V shaped trailers with 8 axles underneath it? That was me.... But I officially retired in 2004 and unfortunately due to a Major serious accident, In 1997, I am now Permanently disabled. I also suffer from Rhuematoid Arthritis on top of being an above knee amputee.. Which contributed to my retireing in 2004. Followed up by a closed head injury. Where I suffered a above left knee amputation, had 5 different operations and pronounced dead twice. The 2nd time wakeing in the Morgue tagged and bagged. Right leg broken in 2 places followed by 2 shattered hips and a shattered pelvis. Both my hands and wrists were also shattered, along with many more injurys.

It actually took 2 1/2 yrs of rehab to teach me to walk and talk again...

I tried to work for a few years as long as I could from 1997 to 2004.. I retired due to the fact that my doctor at that time said due to the nature of my serious injuries from the accident in 1997, compounded by the Rhuematoid Arthritis.. That actually forced me into retirement in 2004.

FYI:
We were hit on our Harley broadsided by a underaged female drunk driver that also immediately killed my wife of 10yrs Instantly.
I am happily remarried to my now wife (Lizzy) of 10yrs in October of 2003...
Thats enough for now.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:18 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I am a Retired Teamster Truck driver... Pulled floboys for a Major company here in Michigan.. (We were the guys messing up the highways during the repaving process..) Ever see those huge V shaped trailers with 8 axles underneath it? That was me.... But I officially retired in 2004 and unfortunately due to a Major serious accident, In 1997, I am now Permanently disabled. I also suffer from Rhuematoid Arthritis on top of being an above knee amputee.. Which contributed to my retireing in 2004. Followed up by a closed head injury. Where I suffered a above left knee amputation, had 5 different operations and pronounced dead twice. The 2nd time wakeing in the Morgue tagged and bagged. Right leg broken in 2 places followed by 2 shattered hips and a shattered pelvis. Both my hands and wrists were also shattered, along with many more injurys.

It actually took 2 1/2 yrs of rehab to teach me to walk and talk again...

I tried to work for a few years as long as I could from 1997 to 2004.. I retired due to the fact that my doctor at that time said due to the nature of my serious injuries from the accident in 1997, compounded by the Rhuematoid Arthritis.. That actually forced me into retirement in 2004.

FYI:
We were hit on our Harley broadsided by a underaged female drunk driver that also immediately killed my wife of 10yrs Instantly.
I am happily remarried to my now wife (Lizzy) of 10yrs in October of 2003...
Thats enough for now.
Whoaaaaaa, sounds like you had a hell of a life ! lol, and Yeah i hear of that Arthritis quite often, I work for pfizer pharmacuetical company so I talk to alot of patients ! If I ever come to MI, ima come visit my old buddies! lol kiddin !

Quick Reply: Jobs? Career? Retired? School?