Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What situation would you choose?
Stay at my crappy print shop job that has no advancement
0%
Take the plunge and work under contract for a year
100.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Job dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Job dilemma!

Alright guys - As you may know I took a new job a couple of weeks ago cause I hated my old job so much. This new job is a little closer to my house but it's still a stupid quick print shop (which I hate). Money is about the same as my old job but still ridiculously low money for someone who has been working in my industry for 16 years.

I have an opportunity to work on a year contract for about $7,000 more a year with medical, dental, and paid holidays. The only downside is that it's a contract and not a permanent position. This place is also really close to my house - about 5 miles. The agency may not be able to place me when this contract is finished so I will be unemployed again. Should I take the plunge and work at this job that I'm going to love or stay at the stressful print shop?

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 02-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say go with what you love, the economy and job markets have a good chance at being a lot better in a year from now. Plus you will have a great year and build confidence which can carry over huge in interviews and meeting new people.

Just keep a good nest egg just in case after the one year

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

Thanks Mike - have you found another job yet?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

The place I work was recently bought and everyone is fearing the worst, but we can't control the "unknown" part of what may happen in the future where I work. I say take the plunge and go for it....

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I haven't, I'm still hoping that the job market gets better around here. But I have just been looking for "dream jobs" and not any job since I am not hurting for money.

I think I'm gonna start looking for any job soon, this is starting to get ridiculous now.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

I'm on careerbuilder and a couple of other job sites and I'm noticing a lot more graphics listing for my area.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Amy, I know from personal experience that if you're stressed out at work, it WILL affect your health.

I wish I could tell you that the economy will be better a year from now. But I just don't know. The so called experts have been predicting a recovery for the last couple years. And we know how that's turned out so far.

But if your current job is really that bad, and the contract job would be more enjoyable with better money/benefits. Then take a chance and go for it. Who knows, maybe the economy will be better a year from now.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM

I voted "take the plunge." It sounds like with your experience you'll be fine and find more work. I hope I'm not too biased though, because I'm so unhappy where I'm at and applying for jobs almost daily.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I haven't, I'm still hoping that the job market gets better around here. But I have just been looking for "dream jobs" and not any job since I am not hurting for money.

I think I'm gonna start looking for any job soon, this is starting to get ridiculous now.
I think if you can find a job, take it. It doesnt have to be a dream job, as long as you are satisfied working there and you make enough money to make it worth showing up every morning then go for it.

A big problem with the unemployment rate is that people who lost their jobs or just graduated from school are looking for that "dream job" instead of just looking for a job. Just because you cant find a job that puts your education to full use or doesnt pay the same or more than your previous job, doesnt justify not taking the job IMO.

Guaranteed employment ALWAYS trumps better possible employment. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can always search for a better job WHILE working at another, but if you pass up the guaranteed employment searching for your dream job, you just may miss the opportunity for both.

When I was about to graduate I applied for a few "dream" jobs. When it came time to actually make the move from school to full time worker tho, it wasnt an option to wait around for those dream jobs to maybe hire me. I went back to work at my old job. Not long after I got a second interview with one of those employers and was actually offered a job with another. In the end I turned them both down. With the economy the way it is, it was just too much of a risk to lose a steady job in order to pursue one that may not work out for the long haul.

Now I am still working at my old job, but making much more money and enjoying it more than I expected. I am also gaining experience which not only helps you land future jobs, but raises the level of job you can do when it comes time to make the switch.

Knowing you have a job that is steady and reliable makes it easier to get up every morning.

Last edited by mrl390; 02-22-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Also Amy, I think the fact that you referred to your current job as your "crappy print shop job" should tell you something.

We're all grateful to have a steady source of income. But like I said, if you really feel that way about it, it's time to move on.

Quick Reply: Job dilemma!