Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

It's Worth HOW Much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM

I went and got one appraisal on my '93 Dodge at a paint shop I've used before. JUST to repair the hatch, they want $1,000. Has paint goen up THAT...... much?

Hi Mod R.J.,
Yes, the price of everything is going `Up except my
bank balance 4-$ure....

I hope that you get everything fixed that was damaged, and that the teens learned a expensive lesson in their `life...
Good Luck

Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

For a hatch.... and it depends on hte color... a quart of say, the cheap paint, crossifre or something at NAPA.. in a light color like silver or a light blue, probably $25-30 in NC, then the quart of thinner... about $20, quart of clear coat for about $25 and then hardener $30-40 anyway.... but the clear coat and hardener, and thinner, the shops usually buy bulk. Has Ohio already switched to waterborne paints? NC hasn't yet but prices will fly when they do. A lot of body shops want to use the Martin Senour or PPG brand too, and that's like 3 times as much at NAPA and roughly the same difference at Carquest... and they tell you ti matches better.... yeah, well I've used both, both on diffrent shades of red cars.. and I can't tell a difference, both come really close, but neither is a perfect match in my book. Plus, Bondo is around $20 a gallon at walmart... spreaders are about $2 a pack, but you can use those for awhile. Sand paper, air files, air compressors, sanding blocks, paint guns.... lots of overhead, you've always got the environmentalists breathing down your neck, making sure you comply with HVLP standards, I think in NC you have to record how much paint you buy, how mjuch you mix, and how much you have left o ver, and sign it off to some recycling company when they come by to pick up your paint.. that's to try and make sure you arne't throwing it in the grass in the backyard. And while you're waiting for htem to pick it up or yourslef to use it, it has to be stored in a fireproof room or container. It's getting kind of crazy. And that's why I could probably do the job for $300-400 in my backyard... no one is breathing down my neck, and no one cares hwat pressure I use to spray or what I do with the paint when I'm done with it. I usually pour the leftover paint into my used oil bucket.... my dad slings it out into hte yard, he swears the grass will grow up, cut it with the lawnmowe,r and that's the end of it... well maybe I'm a product of an era with the EPA and global warming, but I don't buy that.

Anywho, hope that helps... Is that price for a new hatch? I'd imagine it's just to repair the one you have and repaint it.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I knew paint was going up. Cause of EPA.

I had the hatch on the '94 re-painted at the same shop about 3 years ago. It was $200.

Thought I'd contact the insurance. Ask them to provide names of afew shops in my area that would do the work for the amount they quoted me. Then drive the car there and get an estimate from the shops themselves.

Duane, my mom asked why I didn't paint the hatch myself?

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM

5 Year Member

You got an air compressor I assume... an air regulator, two air hoses, a paint gun, and experience? o.O! If you're willing to try it.... go aehad... I'd buy a quart, watch some videos on the internet... maybe practice on a spare sheet of metal somewhere. MAybe just get a quart of acrylic enamel if it's still available in your area... it's a little more simple to spray in my opinion. If you try it yourself out side an all, just ignore whatver it says for thinning, because you'll most likely need to thing it more for it to spray right..... or you could buy the paint and materials and bring it to NC, I'll spray it for $100 since you're such a nice guy!!!

Have you checekd to see if they're spraying waterborne paints in Ohio yet? I know they're telling us here in NC to get our projects done this year while we can get "cheap" paint mixed for it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've got an almost brand new HVLP gun Debbie got me for Christmas about 5 years ago. Only used it once and that last summer.

I've got a very old DeVillBliss gun my dad used to spray with that I get (or used to get) good results out of.

My dad's compressor is nicer then the one I have. It's also close to 20 years newer, too. Not that my compressor has seen a lot of use. Mainly inflating tires.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 PM

5 Year Member

These base/clear paints are a lot weirder to spray.. you move a lot slower than you did with high pressure and those old standard type of cup guns.... especially with HVLP and gravity fed guns. I've used both... I really think the gravity fed guns lay down a prettier coat of paint... but that's just me.. and a lot less mist to mess with.