Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Heres a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Language skills, writing skills and math skills are all on the decline. The classroom has grown dependent upon the use of computers to teach our children, and the basic skills are not being taught. Take away the grammar/spell checkers and the calculators and a lot of the kids are lost. They have no idea how to form a simple sentence or calculate a simple math problem.
I'll stand by that 110% - in my job I have to sometimes work in a high school building. I've talked to some of the teachers in passing and they all say that without calculators all the kids are lost completely. One teacher even showed me a paper she received from a kid and it was all in text talk. It's scary really.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah technology has really screwed things up thats for sure

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Heres a thought... from `Keane

Hi `Keane, that's a good point, but I've decided to stop thinking & not have anymore "Thoughts"...It just gets me confused I think in the future that cars will drive themselves & everyone can just sit in their future Monte Carlo's & log on2 the MCF & Blog as they `ride Note* Mike (JG) is already doing `it!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think that dependency upon technology is taking a toll on just the ability of drivers. Look at society as a whole. Language skills, writing skills and math skills are all on the decline. The classroom has grown dependent upon the use of computers to teach our children, and the basic skills are not being taught. Take away the grammar/spell checkers and the calculators and a lot of the kids are lost. They have no idea how to form a simple sentence or calculate a simple math problem.

Here's some technology I could live with:

Computer Controlled Indicator Canceler

Turns off indicator automatically once car is traveling in a straight line. This would eliminate having to follow someone down the street with their indicator flashing 'I'm stupid as hell, I'm stupid as hell' and not knowing if/when they are every going to turn. And then there's the classic left hand turn with right hand indicator on...pure genious.

Traffic Override

This invaluable gadget would sense the speed of surrounding vehicles and in conjunction with GPS determine the speed limit of a roadway. If someone was traveling under the speed limit and a car was approaching from behind it would (after checking for clearence) automatically steer the slower car into the right hand lane allowing the car doing the speed limit to pass. If it was a 1 lane road it would pull the car over to the side of the road until traffic cleared. This would eliminate having to follow someone doing 25mph in a 40mph zone while they're talking on the cell phone or the person in the passenger seat.

The Anti-Idiot Eliminator

You know who they are. They sit at the intersection staring at you as you approach. They wait until you're 5 or 6 car lengths from the intersection then pull right out in front of you. This desirable device would sense oncoming traffic and lock the brakes on the stopped vehicle so they couldn't pull out in front of you. This particular device should be mandatory on all new vehicles.
Those are some useful things, last one is so so but the first 2 i like. I almost was in an accident cause someone put their directional on to turn and didn't turn, wasnt left on, she put it on And the slow driver thing, that drives me insane i was stuck behind someone doing 35-40 in a 55. I was going nuts

I have an idea for a self driving car that doesn't use magnets like some did, uses ofcourse computers and a series of cameras

Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM

I really don't encounter too many drivers that leave their turn signals on for extended periods, but I HATE when people don't signal at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by Space

Hi `Keane, that's a good point, but I've decided to stop thinking & not have anymore "Thoughts"...It just gets me confused I think in the future that cars will drive themselves & everyone can just sit in their future Monte Carlo's & log on2 the MCF & Blog as they `ride Note* Mike (JG) is already doing `it!
i dont do much as i drive anymore & the Edge turn signals are nice it has a hwy feature where it blinks 3 times for changing lanes & than the normal one cancles out after 2 min

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM

The Anti-Idiot Eliminator

You know who they are. They sit at the intersection staring at you as you approach. They wait until you're 5 or 6 car lengths from the intersection then pull right out in front of you. This desirable device would sense oncoming traffic and lock the brakes on the stopped vehicle so they couldn't pull out in front of you. This particular device should be mandatory on all new vehicles.
Lmfao this i would so use out here in Chicago. The people here really really really test your brakes and temper. Makes me wonder how do these people passed thier driving test.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM

[quote=KJRich;401299]I really don't encounter too many drivers that leave their turn signals on for extended periods

My 2007 Monte has an automatic indicator beep that tells me after one minute if my signal is still on. This has only happened once - cuz I couldn't hear it clicking and forgot I'd turned it on - and I was very glad my car was telling me to quit looking stupid to the cars behind me!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I really don't think it's the technolgy thats at fault it's more the lack of teaching people how the drive.I think every one should go through a 2 month(or longer) driving school to learn how to handle a car an fully under stand the rules of the road.
Just my .02 cents

Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a scary thought - it's just gonna make people lazier and lazier that the cars are practically going to drive themselves.

Quick Reply: Heres a thought...