Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Heres a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Heres a thought...

While i was driving to school today i was passing a car (new chrysler 300) that i noticed had a blind spot indicator light up in the mirror as i went by. This got me thinking, cars have all this technology such as rear view cameras, blind spot indicators, parking sensor, self park, etc. With all this stuff the next generation of drivers wont know how to drive a car. My car has none of this fancy stuff, future drivers will become so dependent on such technology they wont be able to function without it, making for worse drivers on our roads. Food for thought...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I have all that on the edge but i nvr use it, just doesnt seem right to

Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM

I've had similar thoughts too, Lep.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member

To us it would be very strange. Only one I'd take is blind spot indicator but still. Better to have actual skill. It would be so wierd to use auto Park I don't think I could trust it lol. The next generation won't be able to Parallel park. Why learn if the car does it for you they'll all say.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Well first that auto park doesnt work right & yeah the BLIS system is nice but id rather check my mirrors & look

Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 PM

even though I'm still yound (21) and one of the newer drivers I understand and thing the same thing I like the older cars myself

Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

I don't really think it's the current generation (I'm only 18) as this technology is still a bit new or atleast it's not that common yet. I think it'll be the next generation Of new drivers that will rely heavily on technology. Doing so hasn't worked in my grocery store doubt it works with driving.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 PM

I used to think people not being able to drive a stick or start a cold carbureted engine was bad, but all this technology now...

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Yeah technology is crazy in cars now a days, mercedes has trucks that drive themselves

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think that dependency upon technology is taking a toll on just the ability of drivers. Look at society as a whole. Language skills, writing skills and math skills are all on the decline. The classroom has grown dependent upon the use of computers to teach our children, and the basic skills are not being taught. Take away the grammar/spell checkers and the calculators and a lot of the kids are lost. They have no idea how to form a simple sentence or calculate a simple math problem.

Here's some technology I could live with:

Computer Controlled Indicator Canceler

Turns off indicator automatically once car is traveling in a straight line. This would eliminate having to follow someone down the street with their indicator flashing 'I'm stupid as hell, I'm stupid as hell' and not knowing if/when they are every going to turn. And then there's the classic left hand turn with right hand indicator on...pure genious.

Traffic Override

This invaluable gadget would sense the speed of surrounding vehicles and in conjunction with GPS determine the speed limit of a roadway. If someone was traveling under the speed limit and a car was approaching from behind it would (after checking for clearence) automatically steer the slower car into the right hand lane allowing the car doing the speed limit to pass. If it was a 1 lane road it would pull the car over to the side of the road until traffic cleared. This would eliminate having to follow someone doing 25mph in a 40mph zone while they're talking on the cell phone or the person in the passenger seat.

The Anti-Idiot Eliminator

You know who they are. They sit at the intersection staring at you as you approach. They wait until you're 5 or 6 car lengths from the intersection then pull right out in front of you. This desirable device would sense oncoming traffic and lock the brakes on the stopped vehicle so they couldn't pull out in front of you. This particular device should be mandatory on all new vehicles.

Quick Reply: Heres a thought...