Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

help and opinions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: help and opinions appreciated

Well, it's very important to listen to your wife. Although, I think she may have been too intimidated by the thought of getting her door blown off by the '06.

The front end of the 06 & 07 models do take getting used to. GM calls it, "The Chevy Smile".

Your buddy must have done a heck of a lot of work converting his GP to RWD. He must have had to do some work to the floor pan to createa tunnel for the drive shaft. Did he lose his center console between the front seats? What about the back seat? Did he have to notch it?

If you do convert your 03 Monte to RWD, you'd be the envy of a lot of 6th gen Monte owners. Sounds like a fun, rewarding, and expensive project. Let us know if you go through with this idea in the future. And take lots of pics during the project too.

Go ahead and change your car to #88, but I hope you don't repaint it dark green though. Sixth gens don't look good dark green IMHO. [:'(]

Old 02-08-2008, 12:53 AM

That's too bad you didn't get the car man. I only paid 14k for mine (before trade of 03 LS) and that was with HALF that mileage. They're nuts for asking what they are for a car out of warranty.I would ask them if they would/could get it certified used for the 100k powertrain warranty. That's what I have on my 3LT

They really shouldn't be expecting more than 10-11k even in Immaculate condition.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Taz, it was a very taxing project. he made his tunnel himself and basically rebuilt the interior. the seat is there just not good as an actual place to sit.... no cushion...just the cover over alot of custom metalwork he did to try to make it look as stock as possibe.. console is gutted and frankensteined to accomodate the 5speed but it looks factory.... used a **** and boot on shifter so when she is parked in neutral she looks like an stock automatic.. ya'll should have been there the first time he took it to the track.. lined up against a mid 90's twin turbo 300z and when he pulled the front wheels forward past the burnout box the guys buddies all started laughing at us..... that was until he dropped it and smoke started rolling from under the rear. the poor guy in the 300z just looked over, shook his head and backed out of the lane from being prestaged and forfeited the race... ended up running a 10.45 at 129mph. he had so many offers to sell it but after that it cemented its place in his garage... his current plans include maybe switching to a 327 or a 400. yeah.. not going to go green on the monte.. have gotten fond of the white....

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear your wife shot your plans down.

The 3.9 in the '06 Montes haven't been around that long for anyone to report the problems they had with this engine. And I hope no one does cause that's the engine in my car.

I got it in mid october, 2006 as a used car my local dealer swore was a company car before. It had 10,000 + plus miles on the clock. Right now it reads 13,270. I paid $17k for the which I thought was a good deal considering the dealer still wanted $30k for an '06 with zero miles.

My '06 is the LTZ model with everything except the V8, SS body kit, side air bags, and engine heater. But it did get heated leather seats, pwr windows, sun roof, tilt, cruise, A/C, tach, 6 disk CD player with 8 speaker system, auto dimming rear view, Onstar, duel climate controls, pwr heated outside mirrors, delay wipers, steering wheel mounted volume controls, and duel exhaust.

I added the GM stainless exhaust tips and door sill covers plus custom fit rally stripe kit.

I think you'd have liked the '06 personally.