General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Pedal to the Metal weekend! Highway Monte.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Pedal to the Metal weekend! Highway Monte.

I had to do a quick round-trip from Billerica, MA to Saratoga Springs, NY this weekend. I prepped the Monte and fired it up Friday afternoon. A few minutes after leaving Town; I got on the Highway and settled-in for an afternoon of NASCAR without numbers.

It was clear to see that the afternoon was going to be a swift one. While things were getting warmed-up; the average speed was high-70's. Set the Cruise at 78.5 and motored with the Massachusetts 495 Drivers heading to the Massachusetts Turnpike.
The Turnpike traffic was light to medium. The Friday boys heading to The Big Apple seemed to have all left early because I encountered numerous well-powered vehicles and when they moved-out ... so did I.

When the New York City bound crowd made their Left into Connecticut; those with Upstate NY get-away's stayed on the two-lane Pike heading West. I let 'em go for awhile until the drive got boring; then ... I pulled-out my Radar Detectors and got tactical for getting flagrant.
One guy in an Audi Coupe just put the hammer down and flat disappeared in no time. I was running third and letting the Cruise Control handle things until I was looking down at 85 mph and above.
The Stock Monte was holding her own. Keeping me within brake-light visuals with the rapidly-moving bunch in the high-speed lane that included a new Passat, a BMW Sedan and a guy in a tricked-out pick-up I could hear when he trounced on it and passed a line of trucks.

There were a few times when I had to pull it back out of Overdrive and put some power on to keep-up when we started dealing with going-over the Berkshires. One section gets goes to three lanes; with the Right Lane a climbing lane for Trucks. As the pick-up and the Beemer hit the grade; they dualed it out for the lead with the pickup falling-in behind the BMW when the guy showed-off the power he had under that slick, Beemer hood.

When the Beemer and the pickup started losing my chickensh1t self; I put it too the floor and made-up a little distance. For a moment or two I was at 103 on the Speedo going uphill and it didn't feel to me like she had much left.
I came around a blind spot and could see the up-ahead traffic slowing and braking and I'm a lucky boy.
The State Troopers were running a pair of unmarked Dodge Calibers but the Radar Detectors sniffed them out. Not a lot of lead time. A chirp or two and then they came-on full.

I have a Stock 3400 SFI
It didn't embarrass me too much running with the Top Guns.
I had her cranked-up and felt good about it.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Pedal to the Metal weekend! Highway Monte.

Rick,
Monte owners like you help keep the Monte Carlo name in good standing with the general public.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I know it's easy to get over the posted speed limit in my g/f Deb's '03 Pace car and it doesn't feel like you're going 80 mph.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm glad at least one of us knows how to drive his car. Even thougha lot ofmy highway driving goes through a pretty empty part of South Carolina I'm too chicken to let her get over 85 for long. My girl's shown off her NASCAR breeding a few times pulling into Charlotte when I've had to get the hell away from idiot drivers. One of these days I know I'm going to get a ticket when I go by Lowe's Motor Speedway. It's impossible to not gun it when that place comes into view.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm scared to drive that fast most of the time. i hardly ever run more than abou 8 over the limit, usually keeping it around 5 over. 85 for me is an emergency, get out of the way. the last time i came close was 80 in Georgia on I-95 forseveral milestrying to keep fromgetting run over. i was running in the far right lane and cars were steady blowing by me.

i don't know about the 3400 Rick, but with the limiter off from my Dyno tune at Carolina Auto Masters, i got mine to 130 one night. it was running out of power but i think if i had another mile i might have hit the 140 mark. it seems like being a 19 year old kid i wouldn't have learned yet and would know exactly what this carcould adn couldn't do,but my dad warned me the day i got my license, he wasn't going to have me getting tickets and driving the insurance up for the whole family. so far, i ahven't been pulled yet *knocks wood*