Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hawaii > *

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Default Hawaii > *

Gotta love the fight in the youngsters on the Ewa Beach, HI. Little League baseball team who won the LL World Series today over the team from Willemstad, Curacao, 7-6. It was the most entertaining LL game I've ever seen, and not only because the Hawaiian team hails from Oahu, the island where I spent the first year of my life and where I have strong family ties. Both teams showed they deserved to not only be there, but to play for the championship.

Hawaii scored the first run in the second inning, then Curacao came back to go up 3-1 in the top of the third. Ever the fighters, Hawaii hit back to back home runs in the bottom of the third to tie the game at 3. But Curacao wasn't done yet, the defending champions hung in there and rallied in the fifth to put up 3 more runs in what looked like was going to be a successful defense of thier title. But Hawaii had other plans. They dug deep inside to find the strength, will, and determination needed to get past the defending champs. Down 6-3 in the bottom of the 6th, the final inning for Little Leaguers, Hawaii managed to put together a rally that couldn't have been scripted any better, tying the game at 6 and sending it to extra innings. After the 3rd inning, the boys from Hawaii seemed as if they had the air taken out of em, but the rally in the 6th gave them thier second wind and they came out fired up for the 7th. Vonn Fe'au, pitching in relief, had the challenge of facing two of Curacao's most dangerous hitter in the decisive inning. He not only was up to the challenge, he make it look like it wasn't one, striking out the feared hitters and getting the other to ground out. The team was pumped, and the first batter in the extra inning for Hawaii had a full count when he crushed the 3-2 pitch over the center field wall to win the game!