Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Supercharging a Monte with a GTP's SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Default Supercharging a Monte with a GTP's SC?

Edit: Nevermind the search function works. But since I can't delete the thread here's what it said to start with.
Just got home with my father-in-laws (left to my wife in his will) 2001 Monte Carlo SS and had a question. The engine is the same 3.8L that is in the Pontiac GTP (supercharged). Can I swipe the supercharger, intake, and I suppose the computer from a GTP and put in on the Monte or should I look for a wrecked Monte Carlo that is factory supercharged? I've tried to find out what the pistons in both engines are made from (alloy/forged/cast) but can't find anything out. The only difference I've found it the compression ratio is 9.5 on the Monte and 8.5 on the GTP. On the newer supercharged Monte's the CR is the same as the GTP's. Not sure what I'd have to do to make the CR drop or the super work with the higher CR.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Default RE: Supercharging a Monte with a GTP's SC?

u pretty much have to change from the upperned of the engine heads intake etc.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Supercharging a Monte with a GTP's SC?

let me know what you find out i had seen a sc on the net for sale once and it was for like 100.00 should ahve grabed it. but i was like you are and could not find the info to get the swap done.

I would think if it is just compression you would be ok but it would be like a built motor on the monte in comparison to the gtp.

but if you have a local race shop that works with blowers i would ask them how or what to change for it.
Or if you can just bolt the intake and sc on to the motor.

If this is the case it would be great and a easy bolt on . and great gain!!

I had heard the heads needed to be changed but he could not tell me why if there was a diffrence in the casting or not etc..

Makes me wish i could get ahold of the blue prints for the heads on a 05.
other option would be ask the dealer if they have a head for both in stock you can look at.