Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

has this Monte been wrecked ?! advise please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe it had an after market hood removed and a stock hood reinstalled
and the bump stops not reajusted ..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Wouldnt go with it,still like to have the headlights hahah

Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 PM

id check another car history report. ever since i heard the news report on carfax i dont find it as reliable. best bet is to have a mechanic see if theres any frame damage that wasnt reported ect.

CARFAX: Are the reports reliable? - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 30thousandUP
there is a very faint noise , that seems like it coincides with the turning of the wheel ... like its really faint but noticiable if yyour trying to hear it... but its every time the wheel turns and im not sure what its about ... it doestn affect performance but it bugs the hell out of me.... and
Might just be your power steering pump. Check your power steering fluid level.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I'm not really feeling an accident based on those pics. I think the bumpers for the hood may need twisted down a little for it to line up with the fenders. As pointed out, it's also missing the center console lid.

If it was in a wreck, it's hard to say based on those pictures. It's also clear it had after market accessories (the radio in the dash, screens in the head rests, and the black head lights).

I think you just need to adjust the hood alignment, replace the missing center console lid and get a set of fog lights to replace the grill covers and enjoy the ride

Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte
id check another car history report. ever since i heard the news report on carfax i dont find it as reliable. best bet is to have a mechanic see if theres any frame damage that wasnt reported ect.
I knew from day 1 Carfax should not be the beginning and end. If you have an accident and it never makes it to a public record (say I back into an object like a telephone pole and it destroys my bumper, I never had an accident report, I just went to a body shop, paid out of pocket so there was no insurance claim, there is NO paper trail for a company like Carfax to get).

Carfax is just another tool, not to replace your OWN observations or those of a trusted helper. I had a '93 Grand Am Carfax reported clean, but I could clearly tell the quarter panel was a repaint (could be any list of reasons why, accident, paint peeled, rust, tree sap destroyed the paint). But I looked the car over and felt it was a good deal (and until I wrecked it 40,000 miles later it was a great car).

My Monte, I bought from a car wholesaler out of state. He insisted the car was never in an accident. I limited his selling power as Carfax informed me is WAS in an accident. When I saw the car in person, I could clearly see damages that were most likely caused by an accident. For me, the damage was minor and I was able to keep the seller in what I felt was a very fair price. I got one heck of a deal and I've been 100% happy with my Monte that was in an accident.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

IMO the car has been in a front end collision that wasn't reported to CarFax. Body panels aren't aligned, the hood overhangs the front bumper and paint mismatch are some warning signs, but another giveaway is the wrinkled sheet metal and overspray on the rubber bumper stops.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 01-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM

10 Year Member

A lot of factory cars (including at least some year 6th gen Montes) have painted hood bumpers. I thought the same of my Monte (that I knew was in an accident) until a saw another, never been wrecked Monte with painted hood bumpers. I don't know WHY the factory paints them (as the paint never holds).

Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I would say if your comfortable with it and it drives good it don't really matter if it was in an accident or not. Just take some time to realign the panels and it will be fine. Or take it to a body shop and have it done. Nice monte by the way and welcome to the site.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
A lot of factory cars (including at least some year 6th gen Montes) have painted hood bumpers. I thought the same of my Monte (that I knew was in an accident) until a saw another, never been wrecked Monte with painted hood bumpers. I don't know WHY the factory paints them (as the paint never holds).
I guess I learned something new today. I always thought the newer vehicles were dipped (rust preventative) and painted prior to any of the rubber stops being applied. There's nothing wrong with purchasing a vehicle that has been previously involved in an accident, but I think it should be considered when it comes time to settle on a fair price. So to answer the original question 'Has this Monte been wrecked?' imo the answer is yes, it has.

Quick Reply: has this Monte been wrecked ?! advise please