Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Hack a car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hack a car

So with all the technology and computers in cars these days, it was only a matter of time before someone started hacking them, check this out

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/hackers-...010808189.html

Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 AM

Hi `Keane,
That's scary 4-Sure....Thanks for posting/sharing. I look forward to see what our member's post about this ...I didn't know there were that many computers in a car/vehicle ...Makes me want to get a older ride (like a 55 Chevy) or something without all these devices 4-Real...

Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

That's kinda funny...
But a scary thought at anytime someone could mess with you unknowingly...
Who is a technonut...say that works at a dealership and sets it to do something to harm you inadvertently!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 AM

it takes way more effort than its worth though compared to a computer

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

There are alot of electronics and computers in a modern car lol. They're so much more complicated than something from the 80s or before. Like Tyler said its really no easy task to hack a car like that.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Apparently there are those out there who have already used this car take over method to achieve their goals. Seems this reporter was making to many big people squirm and losing their jobs. His Mercedes was blowing red lights and all at about 130mph one evening through L.A. about 3 weeks ago. And it ended up crashing leading to his death. Read some of the excerpts from stories abouyt this incident.

Wed. July 17 2013
Journalist Michael Hastings, best known for a Rolling Stone feature that led to the resignation of Gen. Stanley McChrystal, died early Tuesday in a car crash in Los Angeles, his employer said.
Michael was a great, fearless journalist with an incredible instinct for the story and a gift for finding ways to make his readers care about anything he covered, from wars to politicians," Smith said. "He wrote stories that would otherwise have gone unwritten, and without him there are great stories that will go untold."

A witness described the accident to KTLA News: “I was just coming northbound on Highland and I seen a car, like, going really fast and all of a sudden I seen it jackknife,” Luis Cortez said. “I just seen parts fly everywhere, and I slammed on my brakes and stopped and tried to call 911." Another said, "Hastings' wreck might make sense on the freeway, but I doubt he'd be dumb enough to go 100 mph on Highland. He's not some dumb college kid."

"Despite the LAPD's categorization of the Hasting fatal accident as a 'no [evidence of] foul play,' LAPD continues to ignore FOIA [CPRA in Calif.] requests made by San Diego 6 News for the police report, 9/11 call, autopsy, bomb squad and toxicology reports, or make the Mercedes available for inspection which only fuels conjecture," added Dvorak.

Journalist Michael Hastings’ body was reportedly cremated by Los Angeles authorities against his family’s wishes, destroying possible evidence of his mysterious death in a car accident on June 18.

Hastings was killed when his Mercedes crashed into a tree at a high speed and exploded.

Twitter, Facebook, and sharing site Reddit were abuzz Wednesday, with some users commenting that it was suspicious that Hastings, who famously brought down U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal in a Rolling Stone cover story, died while in the middle of covering several hot-button topics like monitoring by the National Security Agency and the CIA. Only hours earlier, Hastings sent an email to friends at Buzzfeed.com stating that he was “onto a big story” and had “to go off the radar for a bit.” He also warned his colleagues that they might be questioned about him by authorities.

Dvorak also claimed that she has been threatened for investigating Hastings’ death.

For unknown reasons, the LAPD and Los Angeles firefighters were told not to talk to the media about Hastings’ death.

Former White House counter-terrorism expert Richard Clarke stated in June that Hastings' car crash was “consistent with a car cyber attack," in which an automobile is actually controlled by a third party electronically.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its only a matter of time before the machines just take over and kill us all.