Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Great News

Old 05-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Default Great News

i finally got my hands on an engine hoist,i didn't think I was ever going to get it lol,but I picked it up a few hours ago,now I can begin my l67 swap project,the only thing that's still attached to the engine and tranny are the two mounts and the axle,i need advice on the axle,since im swapping the transmission and engine wouldn't I need a new axle anyways? i need to know how to get my axle out of my transmission without taking the whole thing out,i thought about cutting it but if i can just pop it out of the transmission that would be great,i don't have an axle socket or breaker bar that's why i need a way around it to get the engine out asap,i plan on pulling it tomorrow

Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Congrats on getting your hands on a hoist. Here is a link to a write up someone posted on removing the drive axle, you will have to modify accordingly as your are doing things a bit different than he did

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...acement-19638/

The L67 uses different axles on the passenger side I believe unless you are still using your stock tranny then you would replace with the standard axles. When removing there is a chance that the axle will be stuck inside, if this happens like it did on my drivers side, we had to cut the axle, weld a breaker bar on and use the force to remove it, hopefully you don't run in to this problem

Here is a link for zzp stage 1 axles, it has a bit of a write up on axles which may be of assistance to you. I personally found that axles were cheaper for me at my local part source, as the canadian dollar is not the best right now so that played a big factor in my decision.

ZZPerformance - Stage 1 Axles #ZZ-S1AXLE-38

Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the links on the axle replacement Ohara,im about to read up on it,hopefully I can just pop the passenger side axle out of the tranny without having to actually take it completely off,but I don't know if il be able to

Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 PM

oh yea I actually just read that lastnight lol,i might just cut them since I am swapping the transmission,i figured you could just pry it out of the transmission without actually having to take the axle nut and everything off

Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

When they do come out, they come out very easily, it literally takes about 20 mins to do an axle swap if all goes well, but if they are stuck it can take over an hour

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM

I would do it the proper way if I had the correct tools but I don't have an axle socket,pickel fork or a sledge hammer,i got the left tire off,brake caliper and rotor off today just to make more room,i do have a small claw hammer and some small pry tool I found,i might just just to pry it out of the transmission but I don't know if il be able to since the axle nut is tight and I have no slack to get it out of the trannt

Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your supposed to be able to hit on the axle from the reverse side with a hammer and knock it free from the tranny, only held in by a C-clip in a groove.

Glad to see your moving forward with your dreams! That's bad azz... Best of luck, it won't be easy or free from frustrations, bloody knuckles and a couple thrown wrenches, but your doing it and that's what counts. Best of luck to you!!

Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Thanks man..i need the support,ive never done anything like this before and I have no helpers lol,its not as bad as I thought it would be but wewill see how the install/partial rebuild on the new motor goes,

BTW your car looks really nice,im going for the red/black theme on mine..is that your original paint?