Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Good advice from a lost friend

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Good advice from a lost friend

As most of you know I'm a taxidermist and belong to a taxidermy forum that has roughly 13,000 members, well we lost one of our own last night, his battle with cancer has come to an end. I had no idea the profound effect he had on my life as I had never met the man, only knew him through the forum and PMs. He shared his entire battle with us, all the ups and downs, huge set backs and small triumphs, what he was thinking, how he felt - physically and emotionally, and on top of that was still trying to take care of his family and his customers. He didn't "know" most of us, but he shared so very much with us. I wanted to share one of his last posts with youbecause it might make a difference in someone's life.

"this last bout with cancer has shown me how lucky i am as a human being it has brot my family together like never b4 - it has shown me what friends you can make on the internet even though you have never met anyone of them - PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST instead go visit that uncle that has been sick for years - he will be ecstatic to see you - visit your grandpa with cancer - visit your dad who you have mad at for years - i would say there isnt one of you reading this that doesnt have someone who applies - listen to the song by mike and the mechanics "in the living years" and you will understand what i mean - AS NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT - REMEMBER PLEASE NO RESPONSES TO THIS POST BUT YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT" - Terry Davis[/align][/align]Rest in Peace, Terry, Rest in Peace.[/align]

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Default RE: Good advice from a lost friend

[align=center]Hi Becky,[/align][align=center]Your Post is a great reminder to everyone.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I have seen to many of the elderly that helped[/align][align=center]me along the way depart their human form.[X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Humans are fragile beings, and all fade with `time : ([/align][align=center]It happens to all that live, 4-Sure.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]So, we must make the most of each `day.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Many of the elderlyassisted my grandfather raising me,[/align][align=center]I have learned that no one is promised a tomorrow,[/align][align=center]and we must make the most of our present,[/align][align=center]our now. I'm sorry for the loss of your `net friend,[/align][align=center]and admire that he posted good thoughts,[/align][align=center]and a song that says volumes. RIP Terry Davis[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Lyrics for: The Living Years[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Every generation
Blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door

I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

Crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thought
Stilted conversations
I'm afraid that's all we've got

You say you just don't see it
He says it's perfect sense
You just can't get agreement
In this present tense
We all talk a different language
Talking in defence

Say it loud, say it clear
You can listen as well as you hear
It's too late when we die
To admit we don't see eye to eye

So we open up a quarrel
Between the present and the past
We only sacrifice the future
It's the bitterness that lasts

So don't yield to the fortunes
You sometimes see as fate
It may have a new perspective
On a different day
And if you don't give up, and don't give in
You may just be O.K.

Chorus

I wasn't there that morning
When my father passed away
I didn't get to tell him
All the things I had to say

I think I called his spirit
Later that same year
I'm sure I heard his echo
In my baby's new born tears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years
[/align][align=center]_________________________________________[/align][center][b][font="times new roman"][color=#0000ff][size=4][i]Now,

Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

May God welcome Mr. Davis into eternal happiness.
Rest In Peace Terry!

My condolences in the loss of your friend Becky. I know how devastating this disease can be. I lost my mom to cancer when I was young.

To find out more about cancer, click one of the links below:

American Cancer Society

Canadian Cancer Society

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 AM

What a great post. My dad, who is 79, has been declining in physical and mental health the past few years, but it seems this past year it has rapidly accelerated. We are close, but I didn't realize until I read this post that I have slowly been pulling away from him. I allow more and more time to pass between our visits. I'm now thinking it's because I don't want to see him as a frail, dying old man, but as the strong, healthy person he was.Age is a funny thing, every one wants to get old, but no one wants to be old.

Thanks for this post. It opened my eyes to the fact that just as I needed him when I was young and he was there for me no matter what, he now needs me. I'll be there for him, no matter what.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Becky, I think you did him proud. he would love ot know his words and statments have changed sevearl lives greatly.

My mother in law ,a grandmother,2 aunts, and a few other family members have delt with fought and lost agianst cancer.
Some are still here but i dont htink you will ever beat it completly but i do know that you can make sure you dont give your life to it.

keep your chin up face each day like it was the last and make sur eyou dont regret your choices.
Slow down and think before you react.

Thing is nobody dose this any more. it is truley a shame in our high paced world we tend to bring things like Cancer to us in our ways of life.

I am truley sorry for the lose of your frend. I truley hope that his words dont get forgoten.
R.I.P. Terry Davis.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm sorry for your loss of your friend. Cancer is a tough way to go. May Terry Davis rest in peace. I pray that he had a relationship with the Lord Jesus.
I have made friends here and on other forums. I have been lucky enough lately to meet some of these friends, including my good friend here, Keegan. I met my wife on the internet 12 years ago. I VALUE these friendships and relationships. I agree that we all need to renew relationships that may have soured over the years, as those with family can. The fact of the matter is you probably talked (thru the forum) to Terry as much as you did some or maybe even most of your relatives (not including your immediate family)
The elderly are so VERY lonely, and any visiting done just makes them shine (usually). Many have no family near. They won't be around long, and the visits we do now, we will remember down the road.
Thank you for the post. It's on the spot!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

my grandmother's alzheimers has been getting worse and worse... for hte last couple of years we figured seh wouldn't make it to the end of it... but she has. my grandfather used to visit her every single day.. now he's down to a couple days a week.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Becky, sorry for the loss of your friend.

We don't realize just how short life truely is till someone we know, even through the internet is gone. A net friend of mine just lost his father a couple days ago.

I will be sure to Pray for your friend tonight. May he rest in peace.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Thanks guys. His funeral is today.
Yes, he had a strong relationship with God.