Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

GM tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:59 PM
1 Year Member
Default GM tuners?

At all the car meets I've been to I notice all the import tuners around. They seem to be growing in popularity. it made me wonder, why hasn't GM made any tuners? I do know just a few off the top of my head but does anyone know anymore?? All I can think of is the Cobalt SS, cavalier z24, Pontiac solstice, can't really think of anymore. Help me think of more! I know the cobalt is definitely one of the best tuners made and hard to compete with and the solstice too but it's not very common enough. Give me more cars! It must be either 4cyl or 6cyl and have a manual option, a decent aftermarket support, and not cost a fortune.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tuners are more of an import thing, when you think tuner you think honda, toyota, nissan etc. When you think American you think muscle, camaro, corvette etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like Keane said, "tuner cars" are more import. The cars the big 3 have that compete in that market (like a Cavvy or Cobalt for example), non-import guys normally call "compacts". Or some call them "little s***boxes", because, when you think of the "big 3", you are thinking muscle, raw mechanical POWER and that is from your mid to full size vehicles, not you 4-bangers.

Not everyone may see it that way, but I believe that's how a lot of the domestic car guys see it.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Gm has had nothing in the compact direction worth even looking at other than the cobalt and it's long gone.

Atleast ford has the focus st and now the new focus rs. Chevy has nice sports cars but that's it, everything else is meh and not appealing to me IMO

Old 02-08-2016, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member

Also idk anything about either of these but what about the sonic or cruz?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Sonic/cruze would be your Chevy tuner cars now. People mod em.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Also idk anything about either of these but what about the sonic or cruz?
Yeah I just remembered the sonic! I do love them but they should make the engine a bit bigger so it could compete with the GTI. Seriously it's a great car but if they made it a 2.0 turbo or something it could definitely run with the top of the line hot hatchbacks. Other than that yeah I would agree muscle over it all haha but I do wish GM would start a real serious 4 cyl to compete with the imports. That's what I see a lot of since muscle cars are expensive.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member

i wish gm would as well, then i could come back to gm family for a daily driver..... until then i will keep my focus st and love every second of it for my daily

Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
i wish gm would as well, then i could come back to gm family for a daily driver..... until then i will keep my focus st and love every second of it for my daily
Why not trade the fiesta for a sonic RS? It might be slower but it's not a ford haha! Still I do know they're making a Cruze hatchback releasing sometime this year and an RS model of it so I gotta see about it.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

The sonic was the one I was thinking about. I am thinking about getting one as a daily driver as my next car. I like how it looks sporty but would get great mileage. Plus they do have the turbo one and zzperformance has aftermarket parts. They are pretty cheap as well for what I want to spend.