Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>GM Recalling Everything< What ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 09:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
Don't assume you understand what I mean, and don't put words in my mouth. I simply said GM could do a better job.
I was never trying to put words in your mouth. Sure, GM could have done a better job AND GM could have done a worse job. You come back to rust as your #1 item. The sheet steel used to build these cars is not what it was in the 50's-70's (and even the 80's). I am willing to bet most manufacturers have a bench mark for "industry standard" (or we might call it "good enough"). What did another manufacturer do better than GM with rust on a comparable class car from the 2000-2007 era and still keep within the same competing price point.

You mention parts, GM has one of the biggest aftermarket suppliers. These cars are old (15 years for those who own a 2007 Monte), you will still find companies supplying much of the basics to keep the car's drive train road worthy, but some of these other more car specific parts are disappearing (as they were dealer items because no aftermarket had an interest in offering replacements). That being said, how long should GM (or any manufacturer) produce full replacement parts for these cars? I believe it is already a 10 year limit (and we have passed that). As for your blend door, this is a bit odd of a piece to fail and can be a bit vehicle specific (hence why I doubt aftermarket companies are making offerings for it), but the actuators are known for failures and aftermarket companies do make replacements. I gave you the example of my friend's Kia Rondo, in my book, that was worth complaining about. It was a basic coil spring, no aftermarket support, period. The Rondo is a common offering from Kia, the car had 90k miles on it at the time, not that old, and what was a cheap Kia offering REQUIRED you to go to the dealer and ONLY get Kia replacement parts.

It is clear you have a big complaint with GM. Are you finding other manufacturers to be significantly different in their product line, how the product line performs/lasts and support of parts for their cars as the vehicles go into 10-20 years of age?

As for your seat covers, you could talk to a local upholstery. When I was with my ex-wife, a local shop did an amazing job with seats in a car of hers where the leather was cracking and damaging. Plus, there are some aftermarket companies online that cater to making OEM style replacement seat covers (and if they don't offer them for your vehicle, some offer to work with you so they can).

I feel we have a bit of a difference in opinions. I see your complaint, I am trying to better understand what you expect GM to do different to still offer their products with little impact in overall price and how long you expect the product to last (what is the expected life span of a car).

Old 03-28-2022, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I was never trying to put words in your mouth. Sure, GM could have done a better job AND GM could have done a worse job. You come back to rust as your #1 item. The sheet steel used to build these cars is not what it was in the 50's-70's (and even the 80's). I am willing to bet most manufacturers have a bench mark for "industry standard" (or we might call it "good enough"). What did another manufacturer do better than GM with rust on a comparable class car from the 2000-2007 era and still keep within the same competing price point.

You mention parts, GM has one of the biggest aftermarket suppliers. These cars are old (15 years for those who own a 2007 Monte), you will still find companies supplying much of the basics to keep the car's drive train road worthy, but some of these other more car specific parts are disappearing (as they were dealer items because no aftermarket had an interest in offering replacements). That being said, how long should GM (or any manufacturer) produce full replacement parts for these cars? I believe it is already a 10 year limit (and we have passed that). As for your blend door, this is a bit odd of a piece to fail and can be a bit vehicle specific (hence why I doubt aftermarket companies are making offerings for it), but the actuators are known for failures and aftermarket companies do make replacements. I gave you the example of my friend's Kia Rondo, in my book, that was worth complaining about. It was a basic coil spring, no aftermarket support, period. The Rondo is a common offering from Kia, the car had 90k miles on it at the time, not that old, and what was a cheap Kia offering REQUIRED you to go to the dealer and ONLY get Kia replacement parts.

It is clear you have a big complaint with GM. Are you finding other manufacturers to be significantly different in their product line, how the product line performs/lasts and support of parts for their cars as the vehicles go into 10-20 years of age?

As for your seat covers, you could talk to a local upholstery. When I was with my ex-wife, a local shop did an amazing job with seats in a car of hers where the leather was cracking and damaging. Plus, there are some aftermarket companies online that cater to making OEM style replacement seat covers (and if they don't offer them for your vehicle, some offer to work with you so they can).

I feel we have a bit of a difference in opinions. I see your complaint, I am trying to better understand what you expect GM to do different to still offer their products with little impact in overall price and how long you expect the product to last (what is the expected life span of a car).
It would take hours and a lot of beers to hash this out .And as you mention, a blend door is a rare problem. You can still buy the actuators. That said, why does every freaking one fail on Impalas but never Malibus? Yet Malibus have a seat issue and a tranny problem, but it is rare to see an Impala with one. It's like two different companies built them. One hand never seems to know what the other is doing.

Regarding the seat, not sure how I address this. Even though it is the same seat in the Impala SS, the seams are different. Just found a MC 3LT, which means leather here at the local pick a part. I have my fingers crossed it has the right color seats. 33% chance. Most people do not know this or care, but you can spray Pledge on your leather seats and they will stay new for a long time. Keeps them supple. But most never know the attrition until one day they look and see cracks. Or they sell it and the next person doesn't care, just a used car to them. These seats are not nearly as comfortable as a Gen. 6 MC, and for the most part they hold up pretty well. My car has 165K and still looks great. They cut corners on this 06 (just like every one is doing....cheapen the product, hold the price point). But I love this car, and the more modern features like an Impala. Heard some bad things about the 3.9, but this one still runs great (assuming it is the one that came in it). The great part is there was only one small bit of rust on the right fenderwell, and I killed it yesterday. Now I have a fun daily driver, and a cruiser for weekends, both almost the same color. To surmise, my 05 had a sticker price of $32,500 or so., My Buick had one of over $35K. I simply expect more, as this was money from the early 2000's, not insane money like today. My Monte Carlo should not be a rust heap when undercoating is relatively cheap. I shouldn't have to call 20 boneyards for a $20 blend door to keep a pretty nice car on the road. And they are not going to pull a dash for a $20 part, so it could cost over $2K to fix a simple door. FYI, car had 129K miles, and I dumped it on the guy that sold me the 06 MC, and paid him money. He knew the issue. Good talking with you.

No heat because of a $20 door.

But now I have a one year only LTZ. I am getting over the Buick fast.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
It would take hours and a lot of beers to hash this out
Glad you mentioned the beers lol.

So I have not really followed GM vehicles past 2005 (I'm in a stuck era, so I know when I finally decide to get a new daily driver, I will have my work cut out for me picking a newer era car). But, you touched on a few interesting topics. Like why the blend door actuators are not any better. I know at least the 4th gen Firebirds (92-02) had problems with nylon gears in the headlight motors stripping out AND I learned another reason you could have a "winking" firebird, the header panel for the front nose/headlights has stop nubs. If one nub breaks, the headlight goes down and rotates back up! I have helped my friend with the gears (found someone selling metal replacement gears) and changing that header panel. WHAT A NIGHTMARE, especially if you are OCD about things (so many tiny areas you can make adjustments for EVERYTHING).

Something that might account for quality issue (like the seats) in car A but not car B could be generations of the cars and location of manufacturing. I am not sure where all W-body body cars were made. I know the Montes were made in Canada. The other sibling cars, not sure. So it stands to reason there may have been multiple suppliers for materials and/or subtle quality differences. Just a theory.

And I cannot say for ALL years of GM (I feel every era had the "why did they do that factor" for ALL manufacturers), but as I mentioned, GM was entering into financial problems in the early 2000's, so I am certain a lot of corners were cut to help with that.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:23 PM

Glad you mentioned the beers lol.

So I have not really followed GM vehicles past 2005 (I'm in a stuck era, so I know when I finally decide to get a new daily driver, I will have my work cut out for me picking a newer era car). But, you touched on a few interesting topics. Like why the blend door actuators are not any better. I know at least the 4th gen Firebirds (92-02) had problems with nylon gears in the headlight motors stripping out AND I learned another reason you could have a "winking" firebird, the header panel for the front nose/headlights has stop nubs. If one nub breaks, the headlight goes down and rotates back up! I have helped my friend with the gears (found someone selling metal replacement gears) and changing that header panel. WHAT A NIGHTMARE, especially if you are OCD about things (so many tiny areas you can make adjustments for EVERYTHING).

Something that might account for quality issue (like the seats) in car A but not car B could be generations of the cars and location of manufacturing. I am not sure where all W-body body cars were made. I know the Montes were made in Canada. The other sibling cars, not sure. So it stands to reason there may have been multiple suppliers for materials and/or subtle quality differences. Just a theory.

And I cannot say for ALL years of GM (I feel every era had the "why did they do that factor" for ALL manufacturers), but as I mentioned, GM was entering into financial problems in the early 2000's, so I am certain a lot of corners were cut to help with that.
You know, I am so thrilled with this 2006 Monte Carlo. I know that most of the parts are Impala, and I am just fine with that. Went right out and programmed two remotes for it in 30 seconds. Never had a 3.9 before, but this one seems to run really well for 190K. While I love my 05, I just wonder what will go wrong next. If I drive it weekly it is fine, but let it sit and some gremlin gets in there and gives me electrical problems. One minute shows a dead battery, but starts right up, The next time shows it fully charged and the charger so hot it will burn you but it won't start. Crazy. But it's a HF charger, so that may be the problem. The car is a real cruiser, and comfy, but would not want to get too far from home with it, even though damn near everything has been replaced. I came very close to buying a 2014 Impala LTZ (the new one) but chickened out and got the 06. They only made them one year, so it is kind of special, to me at least. And yeah, I am still a sucker for blue.

06 MC LTZ (only year made)

05 SS Supercharged (last year made)

Old 03-29-2022, 10:27 AM

"winking" firebird,.
Any info on those metal gears? Are they still obtainable?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I saw a fix for those lights on You Tube. Didn't seem that hard. Google it.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:44 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
This is the site I knew of:
4th Generation Headlight Fix

Old 12-15-2022, 12:19 AM
Default 6th Gen Montes elect

The electric system in 6th Gen has WAY too many "common" issues. It's even discussed ad nauseam here. The level of sheer frustration trying to hunt the gremlins down is like hearding cats. 35 locations to ground out, ICM, BCU, Alternator, battery cables, PASSLOCK, security system, ABS, airbag(seat connections, clusters,, lights, radio... integration trying to find ONE cause is frigging impossible. Then there's the total breakdown of rubber -pcv, door molding... interior filter causing water pooling, water in door... and then there's the good ole' chevy red paint that looks like it has alopecia after 10 years. I certainly HOPE things were "improved" (from the 2000 6th Gen at least)...because when it finally dies (probably soon), im not sure that I will buy another Chevrolet of any kind...I cant afford the Xanax needed. For sale cheap....

(QUOTE=BeachBumMike;618130]Hi Member's,
Do you think GM vehicles are improving ? Staying the same ? or getting better ?

Post your thoughts > Opinions > Experiences with GM Products > Thanks [/QUOTE]