Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Global Warming-Myth Or Real?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks everyone for viewing the video I posted a link to.

Is "Climate Change" real? Is it a myth? I tend to believe like tax numbers, a company's bottom line and any number of numbers groups can be manipulated to give the data you want it to give.

Regardless of this, fossil fuels are a finite resource, our days of gasoline powered cars will one day come to an end. But we have the technology and the knowledge to make faster, more
Duane, if another email I received is true the oil reserves under the upper section of the U.S. of A. is large enough to power this country for another 2,000 years. I'll admit I could have read this email wrong. But that's what I recall it saying.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

they need to stop this global warming bs
as of right now its snowing here, this year alone we have seen more snow than we have in the past 8 years, so i say where is this global warming???
i agree with the video & there is better things we can spend tax dollars on than this crap

Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There may be 2000 years worth of oil... but the problem is, it's not economically plausible with prevailing technologies to access it. It could cost billions to get to it which would result in $7-10 a gallon oil prices :-O So if oil is going to cost that much, we may be better of f to just buy solar powered cars, electric cars, etc. It's not like you can just dig oil out easily. Plus, there is always the damage to the environment extracting the oil. That's why when oil was higher, more oil wells were being drilled because at those prices, it was more plausible to dig the oil out. That's the problem with all the oil under the Gulf of Mexico... with the prevailing technologies, we simply cannot get to it. And sometimes, from oil wells in the 50's and 60's, we are able to apply modern to technologies and get more oil yet out of the wells... it's not that the oil well magically refilled it self... we will one day run out of oil, no doubt about. Will we run out in the near future? Nah, I'd say at the earliest I'll be an old man by the time we do. My children and grand children may be old by the time it happens.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-08-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CMC
I feel that if you want to believe in global warming, go ahead, I don't care. Just don't tell me how I'm doing it all wrong and the polar bears. To hell with the polar bears. I'm pretty sure the only time I'll ever be concerned about a polar bear is if it's looking at me thinking I'd make for a great dinner.
I laughed so hard!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
There may be 2000 years worth of oil... but the problem is, it's not economically plausible with prevailing technologies to access it. It could cost billions to get to it which would result in $7-10 a gallon oil prices :-O So if oil is going to cost that much, we may be better of f to just buy solar powered cars, electric cars, etc. It's not like you can just dig oil out easily. Plus, there is always the damage to the environment extracting the oil. That's why when oil was higher, more oil wells were being drilled because at those prices, it was more plausible to dig the oil out. That's the problem with all the oil under the Gulf of Mexico... with the prevailing technologies, we simply cannot get to it. And sometimes, from oil wells in the 50's and 60's, we are able to apply modern to technologies and get more oil yet out of the wells... it's not that the oil well magically refilled it self... we will one day run out of oil, no doubt about. Will we run out in the near future? Nah, I'd say at the earliest I'll be an old man by the time we do. My children and grand children may be old by the time it happens.

That is not all true. They have the technology to get the oil out. They are just playing a game. The people who are already in oil are producing just enough to keep themselves "fat" in hopes that the middle east runs out and then the world will have to come to them. In the mean time they will pull this lack of technology, and legal "red tape from environmentalists", crap.

The Alaska pipelines and the off shore drilling platforms have already proven to help boost animal and ocean life numbers. There are species that were on the endangered species list that have thrived because of these man made items due to the increase of shelter.

As for the "Global Warming" B.S., I remember the scare they put on us in 1973-76 about "Global Cooling". I was in 6th grade in 75' and they were doing the same thing, "Our industries and auto emissions are causing the earth to get cooler at an alarming rate. We are headed for another icea age". you younger ones should google Time magazine ice age 1975, it is the same B.S. as today only for cooling. These people in politics are continuing to pull this crap, thinking we are all just stupid lemmings and they are showing the people of this country to the edge of the proverbial cliff.

We can not just drink the cool-aid they hand us anymore. The people of the U.S. need to research for ourselves, and call these people out.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is not all true. They have the technology to get the oil out. They are just playing a game. The people who are already in oil are producing just enough to keep themselves "fat" in hopes that the middle east runs out and then the world will have to come to them. In the mean time they will pull this lack of technology, and legal "red tape from environmentalists", crap.
What I read as well. That it is possible to drill for this oil, reduce our foreign oil intake, and the cost of selling the oil per gallon would relatively cheap. Something like $2/gal.

The EPA, and the environemtalists are the ones keeping this oil in the ground.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Actually the "red tape from environmentalist" crap is true. There is plenty of red tape from the EPA concerning oil drilling. As with nearly anything. We've got lots of protected lands in the west that have oil, but the EPA has no drill policies on much of this land that is keeping oil companies out. This is what is going in a lot of Alaska as well, the oil is there, but to go digging it up would mean to threaten one of the only known strong habitats of (name a bird/worm/fly here), and therefore they stop oil drilling from occuring because the sound of transportation machines, drilling, and human activity would virtually drive them out. Yeah, what fun!

All anything on any of this stuff is what people thing. Limbaugh and O'Reilly would love to sweet talk how oil companies are cheating us and aren't really trying to give us oil at a sweet price. What we have is simple economics, there is a certain point in supply and demand where profits are at their highest point and that is most certainly where the oil companies, or any other business for that matter, will most likely sell their product. Yeah, they could sell it cheaper... but they want to make as much money as they can. That's the point of a business. If you were running a business, you would do the same thing more than likely. At current prices though, it's not worth the effort to fight the red tape, the communities that don't want an unsitely oil well in their back yards, and ultimatly, to dig for oil could be economically impractical. If there is a huge reservoir of oil underground, but it is 8-10 miles down, then it's not nearly as practical to drill for as another oil resource, that may be smaller, that is only 4-5 miles deep. On top of that, there are different grades of oil, coal, and any other fossil fuel. We are coming up with new technologies for extracting oil. However, it's not like you are putting a straw in the ground and sucking oil up. Oil is under pressure and drilling for oil means letting the natural pressure of the Earth push the oil up from the ground. Some suggest pumping water into the oil wells (oil and water will not mix) and push the oil up and pump it up out of the ground. There are other tricks that do not involve water or another gas into the ground near an oil well to push any oil from outlying areas over towards the oil well and then pump it up... but these technologies require spending money on engineers to figure these things out, getting by the EPA, and more fun stuff that right now the oil companies apparently do not believe is economically plausible.

My dad has told me all about the global cooling... there was a breif cool down ("brief" being about 8-10 years) around the 60's and into the 70's that did cause scientists to believe that we were going into the ice age... I've read and heard a bit about it.

Let me close by saying I love all of these global warming graphs as well. They are terrific. They show a short period of time and they also set up the increments on the Y axis of the graph to sometimes hundreths of a degree. This makes the temperature increases look like they are huge when in fact, animals on the microscopic level may never know the difference. However, when you look at a longer range of time at increments of atleast a degree and have a range of atleast 5-10 degrees, suddenly these vast temperature changes don't look so big and mighty.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I haven't bought into the global warming hype either. The earth has gone through climate changes before. Centuries before industrialization ever took place. Just a natural change that takes place.

Everytime I shovel the snow (especially in April), I ask myself "where's that global warming they keep talking about?" Last winter I was shovelling snow from november to april. 6 months of snow! I don't even live at the north pole.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

ha wow i have convos with people about this ALL the time bcuz people who know me know i'm all about nature or whatever. i have a huge long 'speech' thing about global warming. do i think it's global warming, no. but obviously something is happening to the Earth and yes i have my own opinion of whats really going on here but i wont bore you guys with it

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM

I really don't worry much about global warming! If it gets too cold I'll move south of the border. If it gets too hot I'll move up north. It's like they say:"You don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the other guy!"

Quick Reply: Global Warming-Myth Or Real?