Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Finds..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nick07
It's people like you and myself (along with probably almost every other member on MCF) that towns and cities have junk day. You can actually find some pretty decent and USEFUL stuff on junk day
A city close by USED to have a junk week. We used to call it: Shopping Week."

Some of the stuff we used to find was pretty cool.

The city hired a new city manager and "POOF!" shopping week was no more.

The coffee table was someone's throw out. So was the hall tree.
I used to grab decent looking tires people would throw out and put them on my car. Cause I couldn't afford tires.
I found a few GM starters I grabbed for parts in people's throw out stuff. Still got them cause you never know?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

oh, yha that reminds me, rj.
i get alot of tires at cleanup days, one time i found 4 centerline mags, another i found a nice set of hoosier slicks and i also got a mallory distributor, a set of edelbrock chrome valve covers and a comp cams bumpstick for a SBC

but, like by you, rj, cleanup days are no fun anymore... we had one of the supervisors "confront" us, when we were loading a small trailer into the back of a friends pickup. now, we DID have permission from the head of the township himself to be back there, we have known him for years & he knows we are responsable & wont make a mess... so this other guy, who just got into office, is like " you cant be here, unload that right now, insurance this, fines that, jimmy hit me with a wiffle ball bat, blah, blah blabity bloo.... we told him that HE was more than welcome to unload the trailer, but scince we just got it secured we were not gonna pull it out....

so, because this A-HOLE i guess got his way, EVERYTHING is now ran over with a dozer & put in the dumpsters.. so much for recycle & reuse, lol. put me outta buisness, caus i cannot afford to go buy a new mower / fix old one every season... that was my parts & new mowers.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Ryan,
I made the mistake of setting the old washers/dryers we had out cause other people would snag them up within half hour of being set out and sell them at the recyclers.

The last dryer (one heavy old thing) I got wise. I drilled all the spot welds out and kept the sheet metal it had. To use on car body repairs. Why should I pay for sheet metal when I had 4 perfectly good sides on this dryer?

Once when we used to walk every night we came on a Furd 9 inch rear laying in these people's trash. A complete rear. It would have went right under one of my '57s.

I had nothing to haul it in.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

this past summer a guy stopped by the place i live and knocked at the door and asked if he could have the old leafs out of my brothers blazer to scrap and i said take em, they were probably there for 8 + years, have no idea how he spotted them but he took them away to scrap, i guess it is because this economy sucks so bad!

by the way great idea rj with the sheet metal for repairs on your older cars..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 PM

chris, that was because scrap was INSANLY high last summer. hell, even i cashed in, an old plow, & a bunch of other unusable scrap peices of steel... i made $300 for almost no effort. and it was REALLY fun having my 84 oldsmobile station wagon in the driveway... we had people stopping in to buy it almost weekly... i still have a stack of bisness cards from em.. i was gonna fix it, that failed so i was gonna drive it to the scrapyard, but i blew a brakeline so i called through all the cards getting the best price, and even though i coulda gotten almost $2000 myself, i got 400 for it towed away, & bought my monte 2 hours later, lol.

rj, my dad saves old steel shelving units, they make FACTASTIC sheetmetal

Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

ryan, that's cool man, atleast you don't sit on your butt waiting for handouts like some of the kids these days, keep it up man, and you say you have a few 350 blocks laying around also! between you and your dad you guys are cool. ryan keep up the great work and make the easy money from scraping with almost no effort needed!!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 AM

last summer...found a toyota 2jz motor..(later model supra motor) alreadly pulled out of a lexus is300...(they came factory in them..not alot of people know that) itwas just laying on the seat..so bought it for $150 at the pick your part...and sold it to a local guy for $900 and is running it in is ttsupra as we speak

Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
rj
15 Year Member

My girlfriend Debbie, her brother in law got a job at waste management company. (trash haulers)

He said back when scrap prices were higher a guy he works with made $1,000 just out of the copper wiring he collected on his route. Not bad for a little side line cash.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM

not bad at all, rj. i got another scrap story, a guy who lives in our dovelopment did genral contracting, siding, gutters, ect.. he literally had a MOUNTIAN of aluminum in the back of his property, cashed in when scrap was high & bought himslef, like an 03 ford pickup for his work & a sazuki crossover suv thing for his wife, and he got an 01 cavaleir 2 door for his kid... all used, but he still made out GREAT!