Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

fake

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's what I said while back there, Taz!! You could be the third-fourth generation screwed over!!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM

I would bet that the car was a 97,000 mile total out, and they took a 47,000 mile "Pace Car" that was also totaled, maybe a rollover (something that didn't blow the bags). Then took the good parts, dash, cluster, bags... , to repair the first.

He knows there is a millage discrepancy, they even put that they changed the cluster in the add. They just didn't realize the carfax would kick them in the "boys".

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The report shows only a front left collision that was repaired in 2003. I don't think it was a wreck.

The discrepancy is explainable when you consider that one of the owners pulled the original normally aspirated 3.8 engine, the tranny, and guage cluster. Then replaced it with the supercharged L67 engine with tranny, and the guage cluster from a supercharged Monte.

I'm thinking this was done 47,000 miles ago. Which (as already mentioned) the current seller may not have been aware of when he bought it.

Let me ask this to everyone...

If you had bought this car locally from a private seller. It wasn't listed on ebay or any other website. You buy it thinking it's a rare Pace Car Monte. Then a year or so after you buy it, you find out it's not really what you thought it was. You call the previous owner, but he claims it was like that when he bought it.

What would YOU do???

Would you try to sue the previous owner?

Would you eat the loss, and enjoy your nice looking car? Knowing it's a fake.

Would you sell the car without telling the next owner of it's past? To get your money back from it. If the next owner calls you out on it, play dumb like the previous owner did to you?

Would you sell it, and be honest about it? This would also mean taking a hit for a couple thousand dollars or more.

So what would YOU do?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

that is a very tough decision, deceive the next, or let them know? if I bought the car then found out on this forum it was fake, I would be very po'd! especially if I may have bought it thinking it was an original and I paid top dollar for it. if I was the seller and knew I would have a very hard time doing that to someone, just not right!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Default what if ........?

If, and I mean , IF , I were someone that was completely unaware of what I
was buying and then later found out. I would probably demand for my money back and if that
didn't work ; I would seek legal action. I do, have three cousins that are Lawyers.
I would never try to resell it without revealing the truth about the car. I would
also report the person and have them put on a fraud alert.
Like I said earlier....." It's still a pig "....

Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM

If I bought the car under the impression that the car was a pace car, being totally ignorant and all, I'd demand my money back. Short of chocking the living innards out of the SOB that sold me the car, I would demand compensation, among other things (lawyers are good at finding ways of taking your money), and would probably sell the car as is, not as a pace car (which it isn't). Being taken for a ride isn't any fun, specially on Ebay, and for the amount of money he's asking for it a well season buyer would, at the very least, check carfax and other stats about the model.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 AM

My thought is if you are paying a higher price because it's a pace car, you have to be aware of what the pace car is and it's increased value over a "normal" Monte. So if you are aware that the pace car edition is something special and worth more shouldn't you know what it consist of ??? Or at least find out why the seller is saying it's "special"? And if it were me, after looking into legal options and seeing that it would cost more money then I would get back I would probably keep the car, be eternally PO'd at the seller, if it was a dealer I'd call BBB and local media on them and if I chose to sell it I wouldn't try to decieve the next purchaser into thinking it was something that it I KNEW it wasn't. Would I say it's a clone, probably not but I wouldn't say it's a pace car edition either. That's fraud and that's illegal!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as local law goes, in North Carolina, as far as accidents, false mileage (which we may have a case of here, we're overlooking that he says 50,000 less miles than it had in '08), then from a private seller you can sue for twice what you payed for the car. If it's a dealer, you can sue for 3 times what you have payed. So for instance, you buy a car with a dealer signing in a bill of sale that the car has a clean report, no accidents, and you then discover that the car was actually totaled out, you can sue for 3 times whatever you payed. Now I don't know what the local laws would be for dressing up a standard SS Monte Carlo and selling it as a Pace Car edition. But about all he has going right for that car is the correct color.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Let me ask this to everyone...

If you had bought this car locally from a private seller. It wasn't listed on ebay or any other website. You buy it thinking it's a rare Pace Car Monte. Then a year or so after you buy it, you find out it's not really what you thought it was. You call the previous owner, but he claims it was like that when he bought it.

What would YOU do???

Would you try to sue the previous owner?

Would you eat the loss, and enjoy your nice looking car? Knowing it's a fake.

Would you sell the car without telling the next owner of it's past? To get your money back from it. If the next owner calls you out on it, play dumb like the previous owner did to you?

Would you sell it, and be honest about it? This would also mean taking a hit for a couple thousand dollars or more.

So what would YOU do?
A little off topic time and personal rant

This VERY thing happens every day in the old car market. Classic Chevies are notorious for being falsely advertised and sold.
ex. many do not know there were 3 body styles offered in 1955, 56, 57 from Chevy.
The lowly 150 models.
mid section 210s.
and ever popular BelAirs. Which most people want.

A = 1500 (150)
B=2100 (210)
C=2400(BelAir)

MANY and I mean M-A-N-Y 210 2-door Sedans got dressed as more expensive BelAirs due to the ease of doing the make over. And a ton were sold, and re-sold as their BelAir cousins to unsuppecting buyers.

This is one arguement I have with people selling '57s on ebay. I've tried to educate them that the car they're trying to auction off is NOT...... a BelAir '57 Chevy. I've got replies like "My uncle told me it was." Big freakin deal your uncle told you the car was a BelAir.

I talked with a guy at a large cruise last summer. He owned a '55 150 2-door Wagon someone dressed as a Sedan Delivery. ALL Sedan Deliveries were in the 1500 body style or 150s. So you have to look at the cowl tag. Delivery is 1271, a 150 2-door Wagon will be like 1258. His Wagon did not have 1271 on the cowl tag for the model number.

He thought the "A" on the VIN tag ment it was made in Atlanta,GA. When really it means it's a 150 model.
Truth is his Wagon was made in Norwood, OH like 4 of my '57s were.

It just irriates me when people try to pull as fast one on some unsuppecting buyer.

End of ran.

Last edited by rj; 01-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.