Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Double clutching vs clutch-less shifting anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Double clutching vs clutch-less shifting anyone?

Just wanna get some insight on what you (manual) guys drive like when under pressure(aka: racing or in a hurry)?

Personally I am the slowest double shifter the world ever seen I think lol but seriously I double shift like a granny to the point where I'm actually loosing time and RPM by the time I do shift. Don't know why but I just do.

I drove someone else's M5 few weeks back that has the manual gearbox (unlike mine w/ the SMG) and I managed get better 60 ft times, 0-60 & Q mile times (actually almost by a whole second). Now I've driven with my buddy a few times but I never raced his own car so he's clueless on how I score better times than him, but when he drives he's flawless in double clutching IMO.

When I drive in a stick shift car I do one of two things:
1. If it has a hydronic clutch I know I can't power shift my way, I'd have to tap the clutch for half a second before forcing an up gear. (This takes about half a second if done correctly)
2. Clutch-less shifting, I do that a lot with cars that that do not have a hydrolic clutch I.e. Mustangs, camaros & Miata's. Clutch less shofting is to me while I'm going WOP I don't touch the clutch period I just force the car into the next gear in an almost instant Move, thus for not allowing the car to hesitate during shifts.
I do this method far more often and always proven to be the best (aka: fastest) option. I know it destroys the transmission but I do it anyways just for the thrill of the moment.

To cut to the chase I've managed to run my friends 6mt M5 from 12.9 to 12.09 using the clutch tapping method and I couldn't manage doing it better with clutch less shifting since his car would not allow me into gear with out the clutch depressed at least a quarter of the way.

????Question is???? Do you double clutch or dismiss the clutch all together?

Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I shift properly, rev to 6500/6800 clutch in > shift > drop clutch out

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 AM

My knee won't let me work a clutch much anymore, but when I drove manual on a regular basis, I got to where I double clutched during normal driving. Breaking 2 T5s and trying to keep another one alive was what led to that. I generally didn't drive it hard enough to require anything faster and, with my luck with transmissions, I tried to drive in a manner to keep from wearing the transmission any quicker than normal.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I shift properly, rev to 6500/6800 clutch in > shift > drop clutch out
I also shift properly..

This isn't Need for Speed or The Fast and Furious, clutch in, shift, clutch out works just fine.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

The Double Clutch maneuver was something that I did when driving a truck, some times the Trans may not be perfectly synchronized. So you can push the clutch in adjust the shifter and clutch again to make the gear. With the 2 speed rear axle you can just let up on the gas and it will shift itself. Double clutching on an older Car or Pickup that had a 3 on the tree was a good practice this would reduce that grind noise that happened when you missed the gear, thus the phrase " If you can't find it Grind it"
If you double clutch the race car or street car you may be called granny shifting.
From experience when you shift with out the clutch force shifting you are going to loose gears in the Manual Trans. that's a given.
Speed shifting I always kept the foot on the gas and clutched and shifted at the same time it will rev the engine. If done properly it will sound just like the Eleanor Mustang in gone in 60 Sec. Back in the day of my Chevelle and Camaro days 69/70 everybody thought I had an automatic when I raced it, I had it so quick it was hard to tell.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Dbl clutching is for semi trucks ONLY!!!!...
You can speed shift a semi.. with the proper rpms.
Bt still need the clutch for take off regardless and or stopping (Unless u kick it into neutral first before attempting to stop)

Standard shifting automobiles only require clutch in clutch out..
Dbl clutching doesn't add any value on an automobile...

The only 2 transmissions I know of that require minimal clutch usage is
a Linko (old school) or a rock crusher trans. (also old school)

You can "Jam" them into the gears but your damaging gears and synchro's.
Eventually the trans will just give up...

Old 05-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Dbl clutching is for semi trucks ONLY!!!!...

Standard shifting automobiles only require clutch in clutch out..
Dbl clutching doesn't add any value on an automobile...

You can "Jam" them into the gears but your damaging gears and synchro's.
Eventually the trans will just give up...
Do You recall the Movie Bullet?
The sound effects of Steve McQueen shifting the Mustang sounds like Dbl. Clutching, you may recall that?
Then we fast forward to the Gone in 60 Sec. Movie and Nick Cage is speed shifting Eleanor in the Sound effects again.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Never heard of anyone NEEDING to double clutch while driving a passenger car. Like Dave says semi's seem to be the only thing we had to double clutch. Our M123 10 ton HET's (heavy equipment transports and or Draggin Wagon) were mandatory one had to double clutch them bad boys.

I do remember driving my friends 52 Chevy coupe (THIS IS NOT HIS) and it's 3 on the tree, seems like we would double clutch that too.

Name:  1952chevy.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  37.0 KB

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-15-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Do You recall the Movie Bullet?
The sound effects of Steve McQueen shifting the Mustang sounds like Dbl. Clutching, you may recall that?
Then we fast forward to the Gone in 60 Sec. Movie and Nick Cage is speed shifting Eleanor in the Sound effects again.
I definitely recall the "sound effects"..
I'm sure they use those sound effects to keep audiences attention/excitement .. Thanks to CGI... It sounds like more than the actual sound of the vehicles... That would probably be pretty boring movies if it wasn't for sound effects...

Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I also agree double clutching or "floating" is for big trucks only. If your doing this in a car your wrong. A car is as simple as clutch in-shift-clutch out

Quick Reply: Double clutching vs clutch-less shifting anyone?