Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dodge Ram trade on the LS not going so well

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Dodge Ram trade on the LS not going so well

so I went and test drove an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Regular cab dark metallic flake green v8 very nice but it had a few issues, when I let off the gas there was air whine type noise, the 4 low would engauge then when i went to drive it wouldnt really move, and the belt tensioner was junk. I told them all I found wrong with it and they took my car out. Long story short they only offered me 3970 for my car when another dealership offered me 4500. I told them to fix the issues and come down on the price and then call me. They want $6,500 for the trucl. They must have taken me seriously because when I drove past the dealer later today the truck was not on the lot or where I parked it. Anyone got opions on the issues with the 4wd or the noise? thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 PM

As much as I love that first generation Ram pickup and really want to own one, I have done some research on them and the automatic transmissions are junk. I don't know why they went away from the old 727 and 904 transmissions because they were bullet proof. They also messed with the engines too and the newer 5.2 and 5.9 are not as good as the earlier engine. The upper end had issues with carbon build up in the intake and heads. When I finally break down and buy one it will be a laramie edition with the quad cab, either 2500 or 3500, a 5.2 or 5.9 with the 5 spd. manual. Down here in the south the dash boards are garbage too. The sun bakes the plastic and they just crack and fall apart. On that truck not wanting to move in 4 lo, I would first check the tires and make sure all four are the same size. Different size tires on a 4X4 won't work. Don't know much else beyond that. If you can deal with those problems the rest of the truck is nice.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM

The tires were all the same they are supposed to look at it and call me back. Everybody seems to bash the auto trans on these body style but I've owned 2 before and this will be my 3rd and I've not had one problem with them since I had them, I like the 318 and 360 engines they have a nice sound I don't really care for the first gens they're not that great looking and the cummins we had at work was junk when I worked on Regan Farms, well let me reword that the cummins int he first gen had no go lol, I can deal with the sucky brakes and the whine but I'd like to know what the whine is first, but besides that I love it.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Monte04LS
The tires were all the same they are supposed to look at it and call me back. Everybody seems to bash the auto trans on these body style but I've owned 2 before and this will be my 3rd and I've not had one problem with them since I had them, I like the 318 and 360 engines they have a nice sound I don't really care for the first gens they're not that great looking and the cummins we had at work was junk when I worked on Regan Farms, well let me reword that the cummins int he first gen had no go lol, I can deal with the sucky brakes and the whine but I'd like to know what the whine is first, but besides that I love it.
Your old 99 and the 01 you are looking at are both first gen. Rams. The first generation went from 1994 to 2001. You don't like that style? Some of the trucks prior to 94 had the word Ram on them and some had the ram hood ornaments and badges. However from 1971 to 1993 the pick ups were either D series for the two wheel drive or W series for the four wheel drive. I don't remember what they were prior to 1971.
The transmissions are more of an issue down here in the south because of the heat. I've had to rebuild the trany in my 02 PT Cruiser and my 95 Town & Country. Prior to that the only trany problems I have had have been in my GM cars up north. Drove mostly Mopars up north because I didn't like the issues that came with the other brands.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 PM

ok misunderstood I thought we were classifying the D series as the first gens. Yeah I love this generation of Ram, and also a true Monte Carlo lover I have to say I will dearly miss my first monte carlo, but I need a truck for moving, when I do, and its much easier in the winter time. Sadly it's just not in the cards for me to have 3 vehicles, did it before and loved it, the summer car, the winter truck, and the back up car for winter whenever the trucks in the shop, but I just cant afford it anymore and theres not really enough space

Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my dad has a 98 ram 1500 has hated it since he bought it. It is rusting out bad, the motor might as well be a boat anchor it is a dog, and he has on his 3rd tranny in 30k (lots of city driving)

Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM

My grandpa said the same thing since the county only bought dodges, the door rusting is easy to prevent take out the weather gaurds it holds in moisture, as far as the trannys the driving you described with so much upshift and downshift probably ruins them quickly as dodge is known for their bad tannys I've always fixed this with having it buily up with better parts and putting in a trans oil cooler, people always rag on me for having.wanting a dodge but I've had a Chevy truck yeah I loved it, but my Dodges always had more room inside, and they have a great body style, as far as the rusting yet again yeah the wheel wells get it bad sometimes but I was my truck at least once a week in the winter and usually my wells are covered with fender flares so it dosent matter to me