Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you presently ride a motorcycle ?
Yes, I presently ride & will post about it
17.65%
No, I used to ride & still want to
29.41%
No, I've never rode or had a Motorcycle
11.76%
I want one & have rode other friends bikes
35.29%
I want one 4-Sure
17.65%
I'm afraid of them & don't like them
0%
I'm afraid of them, but still really want one (lol)
23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

- - Do you Ride a Motorcycle ? - -

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

They just passed a NO helmet law here in Michigan...
Riders choice...

I use to ride all over the country....I started rideing Motoecycles at age 12....Then I graduated to street bikes...Had my first Harley at 17...Never rode anything else after that....(No tree climbers)..or rice burners....etc..

I always always wore the gear. Helmets, chaps,boots, gloves ,goggles, and or glasses for day and night rideing!

My last Scoot was a Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide....
Unfortunately in sept of 1997(2/10ths of a mile from home)...My then wife and I of 10 yrs were T-Boned by a 19 yr old girl that was drunk!(underage drinker) which killed my wife of 10yrs..INSTANTLY!.. I died twice! The 2nd time (after being prnounvced dead again) I woke up in the morgue with a toe tag and in the bag!.. after that i went into a Coma (for 6 weeks )...When I finally did wake up out of the coma..I thought it was the next day..(Not knowing it was 6 weeks later) and my wife was dead and buried 3 days after the wreck...The injurys I suffered were severe, My left leg was cut off 10 inchs above my knee, right leg broken in 2 places, both my hands and wrists were shattered..Compound and hair line fractures in both shoulders,both hips and my pelvis were shattered. also suffered a closed head injury. which still effects my short term memory today!

I was in rehab for 2 1/2 yrs being taught..How to walk and talk again!
This is just some of the things i suffered at the hands of a drunk driver!
That was before cell phones,texting etc...

I do know in todays times with all these distracted drivers on the road...
Cell phones, texting, etc...and Soooooo many more drivers out there on the roads today...Id be hard pressed to get on another 1! Despite that fact that I would have to ride a trike!..because of my closed head injury..I can no longer drive/ride a 2 wheel vehicle! because i have a balance issue..from it!

Fortunately for me.. I keep a good eye out for cycle riders, and give them plenty of room on the road. (so many people dont)...

And as much as I miss the Ole "KNEES IN THE BREEZE" as Rick so aptly put it... Its far more Dangerous then when I started rideing!

I also miss the freedom of the open road, The peace of mind you get being 1 with the world...The wind in your hair, The smells of nature running down the countryside, the sites sounds....

The rumbling of the Pipes that creates that familiar symphony of sound.
That lets you know the planets are all aligned and your world is just a little bit brighter with every passing note!

My fave most thing about rideing was when I had something on my brain and needed to get away to "figure" things out....
I knew that once my ride was over...I knew just what I had to do to get it resolved! Talk about a peace of mind experience! Thats what rideing did for me.
It wasnt always about rideing with my buds and hangn out....
The Harley was my then wife and I quality time together...
She was 1 of those hardcore riders like myself! For example:
Wed be rideing with friends in the pouring rain..whilest all the other fellas girls would jump in the chase vehicle (they didnt want to get wet)....My wife was the one that stayed on the scoot with me no matter what the weather!...All my buds were envious that there ole ladys wouldnt follow her lead! and ride along with them...We'd often go on Polar Bear runs.(middle of winter) and she was always on the ride with me! Oh the other fellas girls would come along...But they once again would be in the chase vehicle...and not rideing with there fellas...Life was good back then when her and I jumped on the scoot for sure!
I miss those times, and her as well...If only I could turn back the hands of time! But we all know thats not possible...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 10-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi `David, thanks much for your post & telling it like it is
The good, the bad and the dangers

Yes, if we all could turn back the hands of time, but we can't

We live, and hopefully we learn...To me, life is a Gamble in whatever a person choses to `do...Some things we do are more dangerous then the others...That's why I always post "What `if ?" in our MCF Blog...We must extract the best from everyday we are given 4-Sure...

Thanks again for sharing...You've endure a lot on your life's journey,the good and bad, but you are still here to share with others your experiences...Thank You...EnJoy

Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM

I have a new category, I own one but it doesn't run lmao! It's a '73 Yamaha XS750. It's kinda rare, since they only made it for 3 years and its a 3 cylinder. It's an interesting bike if you look em up. Can't wait to get it on the road...just like the Monte lol. I paid $100 for it and the tranny was locked up. pulled it apart and replaced what was wrong but now I sent it to someone who actually know more about it than me lol.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM

`Jason, good luck on getting it fixed & back on the road...
Have you riden b-4 ? Does your state require a MC license ?
Keep us updated & post some pic's when U can

Last edited by Space; 10-25-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Here are some pics of it when I first brought it home from Carlisle, PA.

After painting tank and cleaning fenders

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Space
`Jorge it counts if it had 2 wheels & a motor (LOL)
Did U ever crash it ? I would borrow a friends Moped & it was fun & got me to the beach...Good on fuel 2 It would get up to close to 45+ MPH...Thanks 4 your post
Well then it counts! Lol

Yes I did crash it a few times. Mainly when I was trying to show off We had a 'moped gang' at our school of about 10 of us that would just drive around town all day, needless to say we were pretty cool kids

Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM

I have had a lot of bike starting with a Yamaha 360 Enduro in 1973. I had many since include a lot of Harley's, 2008 Hayabusa and my last bike 2011 FLHP Police Road King (no I'm not a Police Officer).

Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I plan on getting one sooner or later. Dad taught me how to drive his 72 HD superglide when I was younger a couple of times. Its a beautiful bike..<3

Does a mountian bike count?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've never riden one. But would love to get one someday.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

DAVE: Thanks for the run down on what happened to you and your Wife. Man I sorry to hear all of that. Damn I glad to know you & wish I could have met your wife. We seemed to follow some of the same paths. Its a wonder we never ran into each other. I agree with you 100% thats is rougher to ride out there now. Then it was yrs ago. I noticed thru the yrs of riding that if you rode with a bunch of guys. People watched out for you instead of the other way around. Man we should sit down and talk about our life on Harley's. I bet we both have stories that would make the average person's hair stand up on end. My wife rode on the back for yrs. Then one day I asked her if she wanted her own ? She said yes! So she was off to school and ridin with all our friends she learned to ride. We then rode across country. 1st to Sturgis. Then off to Vegas to see our son. Then to Phoenix to see her family. Then all the way back to the Motor city. She really learned a lot of that trip . Man I could go on & on. As i'm sure you could also. Man those were the days. I sold my Chevelle as you know. And the 1st thing out of everyone I know. Was are you buyin another Harley ? man I wanted to say YES in the worst way. But we have other plans right this min. I've been thinking of selling the Monte and getting another Bike. I don't think it will be a NEW one. I think one a few yrs old from a R.U.B. With low miles. Like you I know my way around them. Its pretty cool that I live next door to a guy with a Harley that rides like I did back in the day. His brothers or friends come over and I'm invited always to come over and help out. That in its self is a big deal to me. I love going over there and shootin the breeze with them. Thats the world I came from. And one day soon I plan on going back too. . Ok gotta run. Take care of yourself Dave. Your brother in the wind...........

Quick Reply: - - Do you Ride a Motorcycle ? - -