Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Do you believe? If so, what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi Angie,
I wish I had the answer for you but I don't ...It's always sad when anyone you love is ill or in pain It makes me want to believe that there is another life that has no pain, no illness.
I do pray there is such a place...

Human beings are inherently fragile, and to me I don't understand how any God would permit this to happen , but it does happen to many in life for unknown reasons to our human minds....

Maybe it's just a reminder to the ones they love to know that human life is only temporary & can strike anyone at any time...A reminder to all to live their day & extract the most from life...There are so many in this world that are suffering, but still many believe it will never happen to them...Maybe ? ? ? Just maybe that could be one answer ?

I pray you stay strong for your daughter & keep your faith for a better place for those you love...Maybe not here on Earth, but hopefully in a Heaven...Let us all `pray..
Sincerely, `Space

HELP FOR FAMILIES COPING WITH CANCER:

<CITE>familiescopingwithcancer.com/</CITE> - CachedSimilar

A balanced approach to the question, "I have cancer...Now what?" Cancer help and support from a family who has been there and survived.

Last edited by Space; 09-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's hard for me to believe any religion. Who knows if it's truth? Or just some elaborate story that people came up with to give others something to believe in? I'm not against the idea of a God, I just have no evidence. Let a face in the clouds show up and start talking, I'll be the first mother****er on my knees. Until that day, I'll keep living my life, being respectful, being good hearted, all while not believing in any religion. If there is a God, surely he will have seen my struggles with the issue of religion and be understanding, but until that day - my belief is that once your *** is buried, that's it.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Possum
I'm a Catholic convert and am also lost. For the past two years I've questioned my faith as I watch my daughter suffer with cancer. She's only 40 years old and has two very young children. I can't understand why the loving God I've believed in all these years would let this happen. Anyone with encouraging words, please send them my way.
I have no useful comments on your religion issues

However, God or not, YOU need to stay positive for your daughter and show her that YOU are there for her. Show your daughter your positive mindset - it may not do much, but sometimes a little positivity can go a long ways. You, your daughter, and the rest of your family have my best wishes while going through this tough time.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I have similar experiences of my own, like a deceased relative playing some sort of role in my life. When I was a kid, I would pray to God to wake me up at a certain time, and almost every time I woke up at said time. I don't consider neither of these supernatural. The human mind is much unexplored, and sometimes we trick ourselves into beliefs after an event of some sort. We find a simple explanation that makes perfect sense to our current knowledge.

All that stopped after I 'converted'. I see all things in a very scientific way. I believe Science and Mathematics (i hate math) are the only ways to truly understand our surroundings and answer our philosophical questions.

Science is never wrong, math is never wrong, but human error is right.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Maw
When I was a kid, I would pray to God to wake me up at a certain time, and almost every time I woke up at said time.
This happens to me almost every time I set the alarm clock... but if I don't set it, I don't wake up.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
This happens to me almost every time I set the alarm clock... but if I don't set it, I don't wake up.
: rotfl:

I was raised Christian(who knows what exact denomination) but not strict, we would attend church, went throught baptism,first communion,and confirmation, i have been to church maybe a dozen times since, all where for weddings,baptisms(my son's included) and funerals

I Belive there is somthing larger, be it faith, some all knowing spirit, no not really, but i feel there is somthing larger than that even, there is a some way, some how everything had come about, but unless we come up with some way to travel back thousand to millions of years we will never truely know the ultimate awncer

I can honestly say i don't belive in religion, evolution or even the big bang!, i feel it is somthing we will never truely be able to fully grasp and understand

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM

the way i see it. we are here. and here we are. i think if there is a higher power than we are the lower one. in which we probably couldn't conceive wat the higher power actually is. due to lack of evidence and holes in most the mythology or religions i find it hard to believe in an afterlife at all. once i die i should blink out of existence and i will not even know the difference. with any luck there is an afterlife. and it has wide open roads and monte carlos

Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM

5 Year Member

I'm a little shocked at how many are coming out about their non-belief... thought I was alone when I made my post for a while!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM

A lot of people are dropping their faiths and beliefs. A lot are also moving away from religions and worship a God of their own, which is what I did for awhile.

My generation has a lot more atheists and agnostics than any other, and it just gradually increases each generation. It's also increasingly acceptable, even in Texas.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Maw
A lot of people are dropping their faiths and beliefs. A lot are also moving away from religions and worship a God of their own, which is what I did for awhile.

My generation has a lot more atheists and agnostics than any other, and it just gradually increases each generation. It's also increasingly acceptable, even in Texas.
Well I was Christian long enough to get myself into a Christian University.... still sort of a taboo here.

Quick Reply: Do you believe? If so, what?