Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Do you believe? If so, what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Lightbulb Do you believe? If so, what?

Hai o7

So I wanted to ask my Monte family as to what they believe in God/gods/afterlife/spirits/spiritual-related subjects.

I always love these threads. I like to see a number of views and beliefs in one owns mind, it's another thing that makes us humans unique. I didn't think it was necessary to make this a poll... since it isn't the basic God or No God debate etc.

so spill you beliefs... debate.. question.. get to know each other.
just no bashing or attacks, and never judge someone based on their credence.

I'll say what I feel most comfortable with. I am a thinker. I debate stuff inside my mind for days or weeks, even months. I search for knowledge and make a final decision.
__________________________________________________ _______

I was brought up in a Baptist family and attended church throughout my life. Fear is what kept me from being skeptical about my own religion and God. But as I grew older, I started asking questions and eventually became Agnostic going into my first year of high school. I don't want to go into detail, but as time passed I've considered myself Atheist, a lack of belief in deities.

I put all my trust and faith into science and humanity. I have straights A's in all my sciences, Biology being my favorite. It just amazed me how organisms developed for so long, yet almost perfect, and evolved based upon their survivability in their environments.

I'm not anti-religious. I like to hear others opinions and answers. I'm still a skeptic and always will be.

So let us see how far this thread will go. Don't be shy.

Last edited by Zuzmaw; 09-13-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay...

Catholic. And I don't want to hear any stupid Catholic Priest jokes from anyone.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM

And I don't want to hear any stupid Catholic Priest jokes from anyone.
well that would only break the golden rule. If you don't mind me asking, were you raised a Catholic? there's not too many here in Texas. Mostly Baptists and Mormons.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I believe that the universe is too vast to think that we were created by one being and we are alone and thats that. I think there is so much to life and the universe that we will never fully understand why and how we are here. I think life has come a long way from the beginning of time and will continue to progress and change as time goes on. I think there is other life out there, possibly even in forms that our senses cant perceive as well as other physical beings we could possibly classify as intelligent life. The possibilites are endless and to think that we know exactly how life began is ignorant with how little we actually understand about our surroundings.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a feeling this thread is going to start going over like a fart in the breeze!

I have a similar story to the one of the beginning of this thread. I took it so far as to come to college for my first year as a religion major with intentions to become a pastor. I went to a 4 year university, and was just barelly talked into doing that over a bible college. Probably the best decision I've ever made. So I came home that summer and really thought over a lot of what I learned, looked over everything I believed and why I really believed it, and decided that I didn't have a strong reason for believing any of it.

If you want to read the long version, I wrote this "de-conversion" story for ex-Christian.net. You can read it here.

Testimonials of Ex-Christians: Staying Home on Sunday Morning

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Oh yeah, I wish I could be around to see other life out there. That's another interest of mine.

I believe all we can do is hope the best for the future, that we overcome wars, our pride in nations, ethnicity/race, religions, and have the human race colonize and dominate the galaxy and beyond. But we shall never forget where we came from, that is our jewel planet Earth, one of a kind in our galaxy.

EDIT: I'll read your testimonial later tonight, just skimming through it, looks great. Thanks for your contribution, Cowboy.

Last edited by Zuzmaw; 09-13-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Maw
well that would only break the golden rule. If you don't mind me asking, were you raised a Catholic? there's not too many here in Texas. Mostly Baptists and Mormons.
Yeah. Raised Catholic. Around here it's pretty diverse religion wise. Not just Christian either.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maw

I was brought up in a Baptist family and attended church throughout my life. Fear is what kept me from being skeptical about my own religion and God. But as I grew older, I started asking questions and eventually became Agnostic going into my first year of high school. I don't want to go into detail, but as time passed I've considered myself Atheist, a lack of belief in deities.

I put all my trust and faith into science and humanity. I have straights A's in all my sciences, Biology being my favorite. It just amazed me how organisms developed for so long, yet almost perfect, and evolved based upon their survivability in their environments.

I'm not anti-religious. I like to hear others opinions and answers. I'm still a skeptic and always will be.

So let us see how far this thread will go. Don't be shy.

My experience was almost exact like yours except the straight A's part. I grew up Baptist but it was after high school that I started to ask questions and not always receiving a coherent answer. I don't think religion is wrong since it does guide one to be a good person and all but like mrl390 said this universe is far too big to be alone. Its expanding every second with new stars, planets and little green martians or gray.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Yeah. Raised Catholic. Around here it's pretty diverse religion wise. Not just Christian either.
Oh, forgot to mention, we have a strong influx of Muslims in the last few years. Houses and the cost of living here along with career opportunities are larger compared to the other states at the moment, so we have many Pakistani/Arabian/Indian and some Chinese moving here.

There is some tension, like when a Mosque is built. Personally I don't care, so long as my rights aren't tampered with and a religion is not dominating politically.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:16 AM

Hi Member `MAW,
Mat, a very interesting Thread & I shall post my belief's when my mind/body & spirit are less tired to compose my thoughts.

I appreciate your contributions that are new & creative topic's...I know that we are a Automotive forum, but the MCF is a Monte Carlo Family....It's great to log in & see new posts & Topic's everyday....We sure are a diverse family : )

Below is a reminder to myself & all Member's...MCF Rule #2

2. While debating and discussion is fine, `Respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks. Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.
Thank You for complying & making it better for all in our Monte Carlo Family.....
=======================================
p.s. Cowboy`Duane, I shall return to read your post + when I am rested...Thanks
================================================== =

YOU RAISE ME UP by Westlife (inspirational song) - YouTube
^^
Above is a tune my grandfather would sing & play on his guitar
at the Beach when the Bum's & I were growing `up...
The above vid, brings back super memories of times past, but
it's a reminder to get 2gether again & make new memories : )
Peace/Out from `Space

Last edited by Space; 09-14-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you believe? If so, what?