Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Deuce's new flames done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nothing personal Tadd, but I think they just add more clutter to the side of the car. Pinstripes, flames, emblems...it looks like a bunch of random thoughts and ideas were just thrown on the car with no rhyme or reason. IMO it would have looked much better if you would have ditched the pinstripes and moved the base of the flame forward so it enveloped the entire SS logo. Bottom line is if YOU like it that's all that really matters, but as far as improving your chances at a show I think you may have shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok answers.... The flames are not like I envisioned either but I love them
Gary is about 63 years old and an artist when you take a project to him he will colaberate with you to an extent. So the flames are a mix of what I wanted and he envisioned. I trusted Gary totally (ya have to )

Flames, Lil Deuce Coupe logo on the rear quarter panerls and re-pinstriping cost $500

Mason auto Body is doing the clear coating becuase I have a minor door ding to be fixed. Mason Auto Body will de-badge, remove weatherstrip, clear coat both doors both rear quarter panels cost $1,000. I had Mason do the Clear coating becuse for that major degree of work they where better suted to do that.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Nothing personal Tadd, but I think they just add more clutter to the side of the car. Pinstripes, flames, emblems...it looks like a bunch of random thoughts and ideas were just thrown on the car with no rhyme or reason. IMO it would have looked much better if you would have ditched the pinstripes and moved the base of the flame forward so it enveloped the entire SS logo. Bottom line is if YOU like it that's all that really matters, but as far as improving your chances at a show I think you may have shot yourself in the foot on this one.
Not to worry Mike everyone has different strokes on this form some want to keep their Montes pristine and that is cool, some want to mod and that is cool.

One thing is certain the painted flames are better than the little vinyl ones that where there. Even with the decal flames I did get best in class at the Nats last year

As far as not wining gold at the Nats this year...well I HOPE you are wrong (your not judging there are you? )

Anyway what I am trying to say when you post a mod in a forum with lots of members it s good to get a Varity of opinions and everyone is entitled to an opinion

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I hope I'm wrong too Tadd! I also agree that a wide variety of opinions (both positive and negative) is good because it allows you see your project through the eyes of others. When I look at the side of the car it's just that there's no real focal point to draw me in and capture my attention. The pinstripes clash/distract from the flame and vice versa. The painted flame does look better then a decal, but the placement of it looks off. Like I said, it's not a personal attack...it is meant as constructive critisism. No, I won't be judging at the Nats, but I did judge shows back in the 80s & 90s. I have also heard the same line of thought (flames & stripes don't go together) from other judges at local shows. They seem to be more inclined to give higher marks to a flame theme or a stripe theme, but not both on the same vehicle. Best of luck at the shows this year. I hope that I'm way off on this one too and you bring home the gold!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

What I hear from my good friend Dennis (who judged your car last year), the 2 guys that judge the gold class are pretty "old school" and painting vs vinyl graphics really isn't going to sway them. The paint quality will as they will judge on the quality of the paint. So you getting most of your car re-clearcoted may give you an upper hand (if it's done properly) but like I said earlier the graphics aren't going to matter. If you are going all out to try and win an award at a car show - you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If it's going to make you happy and you do it for yourself, well then that's all that matters. I would NEVER get my checkers painted on because I want to keep my car mostly stock. After you put custom paint on your car - it's not "stock" anymore but modified. I also support the vinyl because I work for a company that produces vinyl graphics - not car graphics per say but nonetheless it's not permanent and I can remove them if I want.

Last edited by AwesomeSS; 04-20-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
What I hear from my good friend Dennis (who judged your car last year), the 2 guys that judge the gold class are pretty "old school" and painting vs vinyl graphics really isn't going to sway them. The paint quality will as they will judge on the quality of the paint. So you getting most of your car re-clearcoted may give you an upper hand (if it's done properly) but like I said earlier the graphics aren't going to matter. If you are going all out to try and win an award at a car show - you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If it's going to make you happy and you do it for yourself, well then that's all that matters. I would NEVER get my checkers painted on because I want to keep my car mostly stock. After you put custom paint on your car - it's not "stock" anymore but modified. I also support the vinyl because I work for a company that produces vinyl graphics - not car graphics per say but nonetheless it's not permanent and I can remove them if I want.
Totally agree with you Amy; But a note here, your Precious is not the run of the mill Monte with her checkered flags. The Deuce came out of the factory as a generic SS not a pace car or intimidator or Dale Jr. or a #24. Those cars are in a special class of production (in my opinion) The vinyl I put on the Deuce was after market not from the factory. I started to feel that I could do better with air brushing - Had I had a specialty car like yours I never would have messed with the design and left it "Factory Fresh" like yours

I just picked up the Deuce (No pics become she has not been clear coated yet) Garry Glenn did not like my pin-strip job
So after clear coating he will paint some tasteful pin strips on, matching the color of the flame.

I have full confidence in Mason Auto Body our whole family including the Deuce's hood, brother-in-law's GTO and Wifey's 2012 Buick (after a deer hit her) have gone there.

Last edited by Tadcaster; 04-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

My car is not a pace car. I special ordered an ordinay SS with the high sports apperance package. I had to special order it because I couldn't afford the $1000 more for the leather interior and couldn't find one already built. The graphics I have on my car are custom designed by myself and I had a vinyl guy take my digital file into his software to plot/cut out the shapes and apply them.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member

My car is not a pace car. I special ordered an ordinay SS with the high sports apperance package. I had to special order it because I couldn't afford the $1000 more for the leather interior and couldn't find one already built. The graphics I have on my car are custom designed by myself and I had a vinyl guy take my digital file into his software to plot/cut out the shapes and apply them.

Well you done very well on her layout

Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Amy I always thought your checkers were different for some reason. Like Tad says you did well with your checkers concept layout.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM
THE JUDGE
10 Year Member

Thanks Zippy - it means a lot to me. I did have the Monte Carlo Windshield banner on for a number of years, but decided to take it off so my car wouln't be confused as a Pace Car replica or a "wanna be".