Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Defend yourselves, GM fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Defend yourselves, GM fans

This video put together about how China is alledegly taking over the old "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" sales motiff.... so part of what makes us America is really Chinese.

General Motors is becoming China Motors - YouTube

So, how true is it, GM guys?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

How Ironic you put that up...Mt little sister in Texas just emailed me that very same thing!

Now I dont know what to think...In all honesty! 7 out of 10 vehicles..made in China?????

Why doesnt that surprise me?

So much for the bailout...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM

i thought most GM vehicles were made in Canada and Mexico?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why should I defend myself? I own a freaking Monte Carlo!!! lol

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I watched this and I'm not shocked nor disturbed. The fact remains for YEARS before the bail out, all our domestics have been built "globally". I believe the late model Montes and Camaros are built in Canada, the last GTOs were made in Australia. Heck, did no one notice, the reason Pontiac was shut down and Buick kept was as a RESULT that the Chinese buy more Buicks then Pontiacs and that is a larger profit for GM??? So given THAT statement, why is it a shock GM is now expanding marketing in China? Wouldn't you as a vendor want to make the products closer to the people buying them and avoid tariffs?

BUT, the same time the Domestics went foreign, the import markets (like Honda and Hyundai) have manufacturing plants in the U.S. made by American workers. So did we the U.S. people just make a trade for who gives our people pay checks?

FOr the past 5-10 years, I hate how people still say "I don't care what car you buy, so long as you buy American"... I always asked "What is an American car, one built by Americans or one who's corporate headquarters is in the U.S??" and they can never answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd RATHER the Domestics STAY Domestic.

Now, as far as GM sponsoring a Chinese celebration of Communism, they were helping a country celebrate their heritage. It's no different really then Toyota, Honda or Hyundai sponsoring American holidays (like Independence Day or things that don't support their belief structure).

Lastly, the finger pointing at the bail out and the Obama administration.... First, GM, Chrysler and Ford (even though Ford asked for bail out and did not like the plan and went their own way) all represent too many U.S. jobs. No matter what party was in office, those folks would have offered the big 3 a bail out plan. If I recall, wasn't it the Reagan (a republican) administration that bailed out Chrysler once before???? So the political party pointing is a B.S. argument, no matter what party had the seat, a BAIL OUT was going to happen.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Why should I defend myself? I own a freaking Monte Carlo!!! lol
Because your Monte was not built in the United States.....
It's part of GM's outsourcing back then to other countries.

On the plus side, my '84 Camaro was built in Van Nuys, California
So I do own an American made GM still (not sure where my '94 Grand Am was built).

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Ford actually did tkae some bailout, despite what they said. It iddn't go straight to their company though, it went to the Ford Credit end of things and helped them get the Ford finance of the cars they were already making and selling straightened out.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 PM

I'm guilty of that saying "I don't care what it is as long as its american" to me though i guess I like to think Chevy Ford Dodge has more american meaning/heritage than nissan,toyota honda misubishi etc etc. I'm still sticking with Ford, chevy and Dodge only other brand I may consider is posibly Scion due to the Scion TC or Mitsubishi because I've wanted an Eclipse since I was 17 (not for stupid ricer reasons, just because I like the looks) but I've grown out of it a bit.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I watched this and I'm not shocked nor disturbed. The fact remains for YEARS before the bail out, all our domestics have been built "globally". I believe the late model Montes and Camaros are built in Canada, the last GTOs were made in Australia. Heck, did no one notice, the reason Pontiac was shut down and Buick kept was as a RESULT that the Chinese buy more Buicks then Pontiacs and that is a larger profit for GM??? So given THAT statement, why is it a shock GM is now expanding marketing in China? Wouldn't you as a vendor want to make the products closer to the people buying them and avoid tariffs?

BUT, the same time the Domestics went foreign, the import markets (like Honda and Hyundai) have manufacturing plants in the U.S. made by American workers. So did we the U.S. people just make a trade for who gives our people pay checks?

FOr the past 5-10 years, I hate how people still say "I don't care what car you buy, so long as you buy American"... I always asked "What is an American car, one built by Americans or one who's corporate headquarters is in the U.S??" and they can never answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd RATHER the Domestics STAY Domestic.

Now, as far as GM sponsoring a Chinese celebration of Communism, they were helping a country celebrate their heritage. It's no different really then Toyota, Honda or Hyundai sponsoring American holidays (like Independence Day or things that don't support their belief structure).

Lastly, the finger pointing at the bail out and the Obama administration.... First, GM, Chrysler and Ford (even though Ford asked for bail out and did not like the plan and went their own way) all represent too many U.S. jobs. No matter what party was in office, those folks would have offered the big 3 a bail out plan. If I recall, wasn't it the Reagan (a republican) administration that bailed out Chrysler once before???? So the political party pointing is a B.S. argument, no matter what party had the seat, a BAIL OUT was going to happen.
I know for a fact my Monte was built in Canada...
But American made to me means ...Built by the American Worker....Here at Home...
Whether its Chevrolet,Ford,Dodge.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 06-28-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

All my stuff is forgen made except the Edge im not sure where it came from lol

Quick Reply: Defend yourselves, GM fans