Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Concept Cars by High School Student

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:56 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Concept Cars by High School Student

High Schooler Created These Amazing Concept Cars

By Keith Griffin 3 hours ago

Keep the name Joshua Blundo in mind. Odds are good he’s going to be a major player in domestic automotive design starting in about four years.
Why so long? Well, he’s just a high school senior but he’s now won first place in a national Fiat Chrysler Automotive Design Competition and second place in an international Ford design competition. He’s a talented high school kid who’s already designed two cars of the future. GM better wake up if they want to be in the running to hire this kid in 2019 when he graduates college.
RELATED: See Photos of the BMW i9 Design Concept

Joshua, who lives in Moultonborough, New Hampshire, won the FCA contest with a next-generation Dodge vehicle for the year 2025. His choice was a sporty coupe with Viper DNA that just happens to be an electric vehicle to boot.
In an interview with Bold Ride, Joshua said, “I wanted to bring out the passion in automotive design. If we’re looking for inspiration I used, I tried to focus on the Viper. The roof is inspired by the fangs of a snake and how that comes over. I thought it would be interesting to have that influence.”
RELATED: See Photos of the VW Sport Coupé Concept GTE

Mark Trostle, head of SRT, Mopar and Motorsports design for FCA, said, “What really drew me to his was the perspective he chose and he was able to catch the proportions of a new vehicle.” Trostle said it can be a challenge for any designer — not just a high school student — to create a design like Joshua’s that is simple and timeless.
Trostle said Joshua’s design looks like something that could be seen on a studio design board. “The fact he was able to show that restraint really made it stand out. Everything about it was simple and well thought out and really modern. His technique rendered the car well,” he added. Shown above is the second place design by Conner Stormer, of Rochester Hills, Michigan.
RELATED: See Photos of the 1964 Ford Cortina

Joshua’s obviously got his sights set on a career in automotive design. After reading about the FCA contest online, he decided to enter just so he could get his name out there with Chrysler designers. He already has a relationship with Ford designers after attending an automotive design summer camp three years in a row at Lawrence Tech in Southfield, Michigan. Plus he won that international contest to design a 2030 Ford Cortina (shown above).
How bright is his future? First prize includes a $60,000 scholarship to the the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, one of the co-sponsors of the FCA competition – and he’s not sure he’s going to use it. He wants to see what Lawrence Tech has to offer in terms of scholarships.
The other winners of the FCA competition were: second place – Conner Stormer, Rochester Hills, Michigan; third place – Hwanseong Jang, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; and, fourth place – Dongwon Kim,Sunnydale, California.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 AM

Thanks Barbara for posting/sharing. That kid has talent 4>Sure. (I wish I could draw & create like that)

The future will reveal 'if he is successful

Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hopefully he keeps coming up with ideas and makes use of his talent! We could be driving one of his ideas one day.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wish I had Skills and Talent like that. This kid Really has Auto Design in his Blood! And I wish him much Success!
As for me, I'm a Fixer! That is my Talent and Passion! If I came put my hands on it, learn how it is supposed to work, then I understand how to repair it. So i am Certain that if he can Build it, I can Repair it!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

So JC we can get you in touch with this kid and we will all have cool futuristic cars (in addition to our Montes , of course) and someone to fix them!!!!

Old 03-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yup!