Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Chevrolet SuperSport Sedan Coming in 2013 <

Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up > Chevrolet SuperSport Sedan Coming in 2013 <

Chevrolet SuperSport Sedan Coming in 2013, Wagon and Ute Body Styles Possible for Next Gen on Zeta II ?

<SMALL>May 2, 2012 at 4:08pm by Dave Mable</SMALL>

General Motors sees a growing need for rear-wheel-drive cars in its product portfolio, and such an influx requires either an unimaginably flexible platform or a series of rear-drive component sets. Since “unimaginably flexible” isn’t something GM does well, the company is in the midst of dropping, reworking, and creating rear-drive architectures.
General Motors currently sells rear-drive cars built off of one of three architectures: Y-Car, Sigma, and Zeta. The first underpins only the Corvette—an anomaly in the company’s platform strategy. But the latter two volume platforms grew from a program dating to the early 1990s called Global Rear-Wheel Drive (GRWD in GM-speak). The plan was to use GRWD to build some Cadillacs plus a slew of Holdens for Australia. GRWD was doomed to failure because the Cadillac models required significant cost increases that couldn’t be absorbed by the Holdens, which are sold in vast numbers as razor-margined company cars. The project then splintered and evolved into Sigma and Zeta.
While only three Cadillacs have been spun from Sigma—the previous-gen SRX, the STS, and the current CTS—Zeta serves as the base for products as diverse as the Chevy Camaro, the El Camino–like Holden Ute, and even a Buick Park Avenue for China. All of the Zeta vehicles do have one thing in common, though: They’re porky. When Zeta development was in full swing, Holden management decreed that the Commodore (and all its variants) would ace the Australian NCAP crash tests, but the brand’s price sensitivity meant that extensive use of costly high-strength steel was out. And so the Zeta cars were made strong the old-fashioned way, with mass.
Current 2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV

New Stuff: Two RWD Platforms On the Way
Today’s Zeta will morph into the lighter and even more flexible Zeta II for 2015, at which point the Camaro will move onto the Alpha component set also used by Cadillac’s ATS and next-gen CTS. Before that happens, though, Chevy will sell a pair of Zeta-based cars. Actually, the first of these is already on sale—if you’re a state, county, or municipal government that’s allowed to purchase imported products. (Many departments have rules that prevent them from purchasing vehicles not assembled in America.) The vehicle is the Chevrolet Caprice PPV.
The second vehicle, of course, is the most interesting. Perhaps as a way to justify future North American production of its cop car, perhaps simply because Chevy “gets it,” a civilized, civilian take on the PPV joins the model lineup next year. Wearing the SuperSport badge, the car will initially ride on the current Zeta platform and be offered exclusively as a four-door sedan. The SuperSport name and styling also will be applied to the 2013 Chevrolet NASCAR entry. The launch powerplant for the roadgoing car is expected to be the Camaro SS’s 6.2-liter V-8, pumping out something on the high side of 415 hp. A version of GM’s latest 3.6-liter V-6 will be added after the launch for the weaker of heart; we’d expect this engine to produce at least 320 hp. The SuperSport and the Caprice PPV will then migrate to the Zeta II platform in time for the 2015.5 model year. When this happens, full production will shift to North America, thereby delivering a much larger market for the cop version. In addition to the SuperSport sedan, a cropped-rear-overhang sport wagon and a Ute pickup are being considered for the North American market.
Zeta II also will be used for two Chinese-market Buicks starting in late 2014, and one or both of these cars could arrive in North American showrooms if it’s determined that brand needs large rear-drive cars. Conspicuously absent from the Zeta II plans is anything from Cadillac. That’s another story—and another platform.

Tags: Alpha, Chevrolet, Chevrolet Caprice PPV, Chevrolet SuperSport, Zeta, Zeta II |

Last edited by Space; 05-07-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Last edited by Space; 05-07-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 AM

More Auto News...<!-- Forum link startJoin an Online Community... PorscheBuddies.netEnd Forum link --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="25%">
Report: Chevy Cruze Coupe, Larger RWD Sedan Likely Says GM’s New President</TD><TD vAlign=top width="25%">
Report: Still Hope For Full-Sized, Rear-Drive Chevy and Cadillac Models</TD><TD vAlign=top width="25%">
2001 Chevrolet Camaro Intimidator SS Could be Yours for $49,900</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM

I look forward to a new rear drive car being available. I think the name is messed up though. Bring back either the BelAir, Biscayne, or Chevelle nameplate.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

the red one looks like the new toyota camary.

off topic but anyone saw the new ford tauras? that thing is bad *** it's like a rustang with four doors. i wouldn't mind owning that.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm unimpressed at the lack of imagination Chev is using here. The G8 was okay, but its return as a rebadged poorly-named SuperSport is really 2 little, 2 late. The model is dated already.

I think those 2 second pics 'Space posted are just Malibu's

Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I'm unimpressed at the lack of imagination Chev is using here. The G8 was okay, but its return as a rebadged poorly-named SuperSport is really 2 little, 2 late. The model is dated already.

Yes `Brent, you are correct and you are the first to notice or post it
I put them there 2 see if anyone would notice because they are all starting to look the same You have a keen eye 4 auto's/women etc. LOL Thanks for your post & comments...I think Chevy is play'in it 2 safe on some models 4-Sure.....They need to go to the smoke chamber & dream LOL

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar

I totally agree here, I don't think this is the first time though. You mention the G8, but does anyone else feel like they just threw the G6 together back in 2004 when they started producing them? They made it look a little better in 2006, but I could never get over the fact that the car itself just looked so cheaply thrown together.