Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's do you like it ? (Multiple choices)
Yes, I like it
88.89%
No, I don't like it
11.11%
I'd buy one
22.22%
I WON'T buy one 4-Sure
22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

* 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan - First Look *

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default * 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan - First Look *

2014 Chevrolet SS sedan - First Look

Chevy’s V-8-powered cop car ready for civilian duty.
Member's, do you like it ? or not ? Post your thoughts

By Nick Kurczewski / Illustrations by Theophilus Chin/Chris Doane Automotive
August 16, 2012
<!-- main image hidden --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->

The 2013 Chevrolet Super Sport (SS) has the performance to net some serious speeding violations but, thankfully, one seriously undercover exterior that won’t draw attention from the boys in blue. What started out as the Chevy Caprice Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV) is now ready to turn in its shield for a quieter civilian life. These artist renditions of the Chevrolet SS paint a pretty good picture as to what this sleeper performance sedan should look like when it goes on sale next year, as a 2014 model.
The Chevy SS is based on the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform that was developed by Holden, GM’s Australian brand. The Zeta platform underpins several Holden vehicles, the current Chevrolet Camaro and, for all you trivia buffs out there, the Chinese-market Buick Park Avenue. The arrival of the 2014 Chevrolet SS marks something of a U.S. reunion for the car, since it originally appeared as the Pontiac G8 back in 2008. When GM axed the Pontiac division, we were robbed of this impressive Aussie performance sedan.

2014 Chevrolet SS sedan

Hot Pursuit
The Caprice PPV that recently visited us at R&T came powered by a 355-bhp 6.0-liter V-8 engine coupled to a 6-speed automatic gearbox. While we noted it was no lightweight, weighing in at 4,160 lbs., we have it on good authority (via the Michigan State Police, to be exact) that the Caprice PPV accelerates from 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds and tops out at 154 mph. Expect the civilian version to be even quicker, since it will likely share the same 426-bhp 6.2-liter V-8 found in the Camaro SS. For all intents and purposes, the Chevrolet SS is a Camaro with an extra set of doors.

2013 Chevrolet Caprice

The Caprice PPV already comes with a heavy-duty suspension and upgraded brakes, two features that should make the jump to the standard production model. Not making the leap to off-duty status will be the PPV’s 18-inch steel wheels, high-output alternator (for lights and sirens), and front seats designed to accommodate an officer’s utility belt. The utilitarian black plastic cabin and easy-to-clean back seat of the Caprice PPV are also certain to be significantly upgraded.
Our Caprice PPV test car had a sticker price of $32,305. Even with a few extra grand added to cover the cost of various comfort and convenience features, the upcoming Chevrolet SS remains a bargain. An official (pun intended) debut later this year, during the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, seems likely.

Last edited by Space; 08-17-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

That actually doesn't look half bad. Front features are similar to the new 14 Impala. I personally would rework the front end a little bit, like removing the large plastic piece of the upper half of the lower grille. Either open it all up or leave the actual opening narrower. I hate that on the Sonic. I'd also leave out the horizontal chrome bars in the upper grille. I think it would look more aggressive with just an open crosshatched pattern grille, like the pattern on the 06-07 Monte SS grilles.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Illustrations by Theophilus Chin/Chris Doane Automotive

Hi `Matt, thanks for being the first to post + your comments.
The one above is just a created Illustration, & I like your suggestions. I hope that the final design is tweaked like your suggestions.

I'm not into four doors, but I think it might be a great product for consumers that are in need of having a four door performance sedan...I'm looking 4-ward to seeing the final product DeSign

Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Personally, if I was in the market for a 4 door, it would be the Charger. But I am glad that GM is finally coming around to making RWD cars again. For me, that's my drive train of choice, so hopefully this proves to be successful and Chevy develops more vehicles on the platform.

Maybe produce the Monte Carlo on the Zeta platform like people thought they were going to do in 2008 before they shut the platform down all together.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Not bad. I kind of like owning sleepers...

Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ugly, looks like a larger Malibu, & why are they saying it started out as a Caprice??? There two completly different cars, the SS is based off the Holden Commadore & the Caprice is based off there larger sedan

Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Maybe produce the Monte Carlo on the Zeta platform

Hi `Mike, "2 dare to dream" Yes, I hope there is a new Holden Monte Carlo S.S. in our future 4-Sure...

p.s. I do wish that GM works also on reducing the weight of the 2014 S.S.
=========================================
Yes `Joe, I think it would be a sleeper & surprise many
on the road "What was that ?"LOL

Thanks everyone for their posts/words/thoughts...

GM, are you still reading our posts ?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Ugly, looks like a larger Malibu, & why are they saying it started out as a Caprice??? There two completly different cars, the SS is based off the Holden Commadore & the Caprice is based off there larger sedan

Lol ~ LoL `Mike Why can't they have your knowledge ? LOL Maybe they are on drugs ?
You better go teach them the facts.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I think it's pretty sharp. Not a fan of the large plastic part in the upper part of the front grille though. But nice looking overall, and you can't go wrong with the 6.2L!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad to see a big RWD family car again

Quick Reply: * 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan - First Look *