Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Which are cheaper: Cats or dogs? + more $'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > Which are cheaper: Cats or dogs? + more $'s

Hi Members,

If the below price are true ? I think you have to decide it you want to keep your pet(s), or don't plan on having/getting any `Mod $'s 4 your Monte Carlo ?
How many pets to you have ?
Let us know `OK....Do you think they are expensive to keep ?
I found the price to own a pet to be `high according to the below report ? Do you agree with the below information ? Let us know ?

Which are cheaper: Cats or dogs?

Some of us are cat people, others like dogs, but all of us prefer not to overpay for the care of our pets. Here are 3 tips.

Stacy Johnson
  • Wed, Sept 2012 12:10 PM ET
This post comes from Angela Colley at partner site Money Talks News.

I love my dog, but whoever coined the phrase "You can't put a price on love" probably wasn't a pet owner. Last year, between food, treats, toys, dog park memberships, vet bills and medicine, my large dog cost me more than $900.

Dog and cat owners don't pay the same amount for their four-legged family members, on average. If you're wondering how big the difference is -- and who pays more -- Stacy Johnson has the answer in the video below. <!--EndofExcerptMarker-->Check it out, then read on for a breakdown of pet expenses and ideas for lowering yours.
<IFRAME height=700 marginHeight=0 src="http://hub.video.msn.com/hub/blogs-player-v3-BAC/?iframe=true&csid=ux-cms-en-us-Money&DefaultVideo=videobyuuids.aspx?uuids=e3a12c9 6-d898-41fc-b4fa-4ddca9e4817b,c6804e42-bb12-431a-8dec-d6f57a58bda5,58a07f3e-1b06-c225-cc0c-90e04461e780,038fe326-3bbf-30eb-d7af-5dd31f4e2db3&DefaultPlaylist=videobyuuids.aspx?uui ds=e3a12c96-d898-41fc-b4fa-4ddca9e4817b,c6804e42-bb12-431a-8dec-d6f57a58bda5,58a07f3e-1b06-c225-cc0c-90e04461e780,038fe326-3bbf-30eb-d7af-5dd31f4e2db3&PlayerChannel=iv2_en-us_money_blogs-BAC-karen-dog-cat&PlayerLocation=money_blog&AutoPlayVideo=true&P laybackMode=inline" frameBorder=0 width=630 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no> </IFRAME>

The ASPCA did a study on the average cost of owning a dog or a cat. Here's a more detailed breakdown:
  • Small dog -- $1,314 the first year, $580 per year after.
  • Medium dog -- $1,580 the first year, $695 per year after.
  • Large dog -- $1,843 the first year, $875 per year after.
  • Cat -- $1,035 the first year, $670 per year after.
These totals include the following first-year costs: spay or neuter, other initial medical expenses, collar and leash, litter box and scratching post for cats, cage or crate for large dogs, carrier bag for small dogs and cats, and training class for dogs. Annual expenses include food, recurring medical costs, litter for cats, licenses for dogs, toys and treats, health insurance and miscellaneous costs.

Of course, those are averages. The ASPCA says, "You shouldn't expect to pay less than this, and you should definitely be prepared to pay more. Don't forget to factor in the costs of unexpected veterinary care, as well as boarding facilities, pet sitters and dog walkers, if you plan to use them."

But what the ASPCA doesn't mention is ways to trim expenses. For example:

1. Vet bills

The ASPCA says cats and dogs should see a vet at least once a year. The first year (when they usually require the most shots) is slightly more expensive. For example, it says vet bills for a medium-size dog break down like this:
  • Recurring medical -- $235.
  • Other initial medicine -- $70.
  • Spaying or neutering -- $200.
  • Total -- $505
You might reduce some of those costs by comparison shopping. For example, one vet in my neighborhood is $25 cheaper per visit than another. However, be sure to compare the costs of both regular visits and emergencies.

As Stacy mentioned in the video, check local animal shelters for discount spaying and neutering, shots and other medical services. You can also reduce your costs by shopping around for cheaper medicines. Target and Kroger offer $4 generic pet meds.Some owners use pet health insurance to save money on their vet bills -- both expected and unexpected -- but it's not cheap. The ASPCA says health insurance for a cat runs about $175 a year. Before you sign up, check out "Do you need pet insurance? 6 ways to save on care."

2. Food and supplies

The ASPCA says that the average yearly cost of food and supplies for a large dog like mine breaks down like this:
  • Food -- $235.
  • Toys and treats -- $75.
  • Total -- $310.
But I spend less than that, and I buy organic. For example, I used to buy my dog's food at a local pet store, where a 30-pound bag cost $57.99. I found the same bag on Amazon for $51.99.

3. Grooming and training

According to the ASPCA, training and grooming for a small dog breaks down like this:
  • Long hair grooming -- $264.
  • Training class -- $110.
  • Total -- $374.
I save money on these pricey extras by not paying for them at all. For example, I bypassed training class entirely and taught my dog basic commands and a few tricks using dog-training websites. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • WebMD Pets has great one-minute training videos featuring a certified dog trainer. You won't learn everything you need to know, but it's helpful to watch the techniques in action.
  • Petfinder has a training section that covers everything from behavioral problems to basic dog tricks.
  • Perfect Paws has a ton of helpful articles on positive-reinforceme<WBR>nt training. It also has a section on how to train cats.
I also learned how to do all my own grooming online, and I save about $160 a year. If you're looking for grooming advice, check out:Bottom line? Animals aren't cheap, but you can responsibly reduce expenses. But even if your dog or cat ends up costing a little more than expected, it will still do something no other purchase can: pay you back a thousandfold in companionship, loyalty, devotion and fun.

More on Money Talks News and MSN Money:RELATED ARTICLES

Last edited by Space; 10-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well Space:

We have 2 dogs and 1 cat..
Pure breed American Lab (black)
Pure breed Australian Sheppard (Blue Merle)

There expenses are close...Food and vet for the dogs...
Food vet and kitty litter for the cat....vary....

But overall, I wouldnt trade anyone of them for anything in the world...

Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM

I would say dogs cost more. I had a cat. lived outside, got regular shots, never got sick, and was very loyal. Walked me to and from bus stop when I was in grade school. Now I have a dog that lives inside. Needs to see dog dentist, same shots, has a groomer, gets ear and respratory infections, also very loyal. With all the breeding and stuff people do to get purebread dogs it causes inbreeding and genetic defects. Like a bulldogs sinuses. Cats are usually better animals geneticaly because of this and have less medical problems. I had a Pure breed papion who had alot of medical issues because of inbreeding. Now I have a Yorky and she has alot of dental problems also genetic. Some of the traits we "selected for" cause problems and imo is inhumane. Bulldog was a strong animal cowboys used to help russle cattle now they can barely walk, breath, or give birth naturally. Cats cost way less per year but from my experience its just because of medical issues I have had with dogs.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Dave & Griz for your words/posts
I'm looking forward to be in the position to get a dog...I've never had my own, but I do love love animals (even human ones)

Look 4ward to reading what other member's post. I'd love to own as many as I could afford 4-Sure...

Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM

I have 3 dogs, 1 cat and 1 horse. I'd say they are pretty close in costs.

The horse is a little more. Hay in the winter, some feed each day and being shoed in the front now and then. Most of the time just in the pasture eating grass and up in the barn at night..