Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Be careful when dealing with Craigslist!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Wow. What a story. There are a number of online sites the same as Craigslist. I'm wondering why we hear about it happening mostly on Craigslist? It seems to me that hold up you posted could've happened even with a newspaper ad too.
Craigslist is just the most used and popular thats why. Also newspaper ads can be traced easier. Someone had to make payment for the ad.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Yeah, public venue... more than 1 person, keep on driving.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Very sad story. When I bought my camaro I was heavily armed and researched the guy ahead of time. I also had my stepdad with me and he was carrying as well. I always keep my distance and try to maintain a high situational awareness. The guy I bought the camaro from turned out to be a great guy. You can never be to careful and the best defense is always avoidance. Call from the street and tell them you are there. Always know exit routes and have a plan for leaving a bad situation as safely as possible. If not.....

Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 PM

Sadly using and carrying that is just as illegal as what the crooks do that you meet off Craigslist

Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
Sadly using and carrying that is just as illegal as what the crooks do that you meet off Craigslist
That gun is 100% legal to own and carry.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 AM

haha, ive had people come buy a car from me 11 at night paying cash from craigslist. w/e though. had a shotgun in the garage sittin there. most of the time people say to come the next day once you tell them your bringing a friend to come look at a trailer or whatnot 6 at night..but around here ya gotta be that way

Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Todd we will have to go out shooting some time man .= )

Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
That gun is 100% legal to own and carry.
Semi-auto then?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
At first, I was thinking that guy should've brought some other people with him. But with a gun in his mouth, there's not a lot the others could've done either. Hopefully the guy gets his dog and car back. And the robber gets what's coming to him.
Actually if this guy was meeting with 1 or 2 guys, having and extra person with him *might* have helped. It could go good or bad. I like to look at the "good". The would-be thieves might have been surprised by having another person to tend to and would have opted to not do anything and dismiss the entire situation. If forward planning was done, the other person could have stayed back in a location easy to call 911 before the thieves could effect him.

I actually did a Craigslist transaction (for some Monte mods of all things). I spoke with the guy on the phone (and he seemed pretty good). I was unable to meet him to pick up the stuff (and he had a child on the way pushing timing for him). He volunteered to drive the stuff to me. Admittedly, since I the e-mails/phone call I had with him were good, I gave him my home address. I also figure, my neighbors are out all the time, so adds to challenges of him pulling something on me in unfamiliar turf.
He pulled into my driveway but left his vehicle pretty close to the street, walked up to me in the garage. I took notice, his wife with was in their van. We had a perfect transaction.
Now that was a positive situation. But I am willing to bet he parked his van where he did in the event a problem came up, his wife came along probably to call 911 if something didn't seem right (and I am completely guessing, but it would make sense).

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by yutzybrian
Semi-auto then?
That it is.

Keith very nice. We will have to go shooting for sure.

Here a couple more.

Just picked this up. Remington 870 Express Home Defense.

My everyday carry gun.

The Punisher

Quick Reply: Be careful when dealing with Craigslist!